Old 07-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Enought bacon for you, but what does the wife eat?

Old 07-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
If you camp with electricity I definately recommend a Keurig coffee maker. They make a small one that we use in our AS. No messy cones and coffee grounds all over the place. You can also make tea, hot chocolate or just hot water. Plus, you can make ONE cup at a time not a whole pot and throw most of it away. If boondocking, I do like a plain old perc or drip pot, but if given a choice, it's my Keurig every time.

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Can't beat a French press. We have a stainless one. Doesn't need a filter and the flavor is superior to perculators.
I find them a bit of a pain to clean, but the coffee is as good as the paper filter brew.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I use a 5 cup GE coffee maker. It is small so it fits under the sink and makes good coffee. This is an electric coffee maker. Works for me.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I started out with this:

AEROPRESS®

It makes fabulous coffee, albeit that it's a bit fiddly. I like my coffee filtered through paper as the metal and plastic filters leave it slightly bitter for me, so this solution was great.

I've now moved on to a small Tassimo. Not cheap to run but totally fuss-free and it will do a range of hot chocolate drinks that DW and the kids like. I was concerned about how much room it might take up but it lives outside when camping so there's no real issue at all.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Keurig Mini Plus Works for Us

My husband is also the coffee lover in our house and prefers bold coffee. I enjoy hot tea. We made a couple of trial runs using different ways to brew coffee -- our regular Capresso coffee maker (too large and too messy since it has a gold filter and you can't use a paper filter) and a french press and tea kettle for heating the water (makes good coffee but it is very messy to clean the grounds out of the press and I didn't particularly want too many of the coffee grounds to end up in the grey water tank). Recently we purchased a Keurig Mini Plus at Bed Bath and Beyond and used a 20% off coupon to get a break on the price. The footprint is smaller than other Keurig machines. We have now used it on two extended trips and it is working great. There is no clean up and I use it to heat water for my hot tea. We have even used it while boondocking and running the generator to recharge the trailer batteries. My husband is happy with the taste of the coffee. We have used pods from both Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts.

Susan
Old 07-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Starbucks Via instant. I was skeptical about instants until I tried this one. All you need is a kettle on the stove.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncrasher View Post
Starbucks Via instant. I was skeptical about instants until I tried this one. All you need is a kettle on the stove.
I haven't been able to get past a programme I saw on TV years back that showed how instant coffee is made - the "flavours" that are added put me off for good. I might just give those Starbucks things a try, though, thanks for the info.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
For us the French Press was the way to go. Easy to do and the coffee tastes great and no paper filter trash to store.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncrasher View Post
What I don't like about these is the price, $10 for 10 , compared to the product Trader Joe's sells that are about $3 for 10. . Cream and sugar included, and they make a delicious cup of coffee.

When we have electricity, we use our drip coffeemaker for 12 cups in a matter of minutes. Push the button on the way to the potty, lay back down, pet the dog, get back up when the final gurgle indicates it is done.

When dry camping, we use the percolator which actually makes better coffee. It takes, however, a good 15-20 minutes to bring to a boil and perk. By the time the percolator is done, I have consumed a cup from TJ instant packets, and am a happy camper.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	189869  
Old 07-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
What I don't like about these is the price, $10 for 10 , compared to the product Trader Joe's sells that are about $3 for 10. . Cream and sugar included, and they make a delicious cup of coffee.

Maggie

I sometimes buy the Starbucks Keurig pods for use at home and they're $10 for 10; pricey coffee, eh? That said, I haven't yet found anything that matches them for taste, my taste that is, so it's a case of getting what I pay for I guess.

I bought some apparently cheap coffee from Costco a while back, but it turned out not to be cheap as it tasted awful and I didn't use it!

Old 07-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #26

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
~~
When dry camping, we use the percolator which actually makes better coffee. It takes, however, a good 15-20 minutes to bring to a boil and perk. By the time the percolator is done, I have consumed a cup from TJ instant packets, and am a happy camper.

Maggie
You know you're a junkie when you need a cup of instant coffee to tide you over until the percolator heats up...

We have a thermal stainless french press, and a "Musa" which is a stainless steel version of a Moka, it makes espresso-grade coffee (with the right coffee, of course). My Musa is old enough that it doesn't have the Bialetti logo on the side, and has battle scars from college and grad school.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
If we have electricity and a few minutes to set up, we use the single cup Black & Decker brewer, which uses a small basket with #2 paper filter.. (Black and Decker Personal Coffee Maker Machine | Brew 'n Go Personal | DCM18S ) No muss or fuss.. Without power, similar small personal-size cone over mug with tea kettle and boiling water on stove.. For backup, the Starbucks VIA instant (Italian or Tribute Blends) are very close substitutes...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
We got the mini-Keurig as well, works great for us! Got a 30% coupon off from Keurig, so we purchased directly from the manufacturer.

For those who do use the Keurig, one tip: do not use COLD COLD water to brew your coffee. Turns out the Keurig can stop working when using COLD water. We were using COLD bottled water from the fridge. Anyway, now we keep the water bottle room temperature, never had a problem since. (this tip came from Keurig directly).