Old 04-26-2015, 07:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
West Point , New York
Best Campground in Georgia Mountains

Good morning everyone,

My wife and I are looking to spend 4 nights 5 days in the Georgia Mountains in June. It is a mini-vacation away from the children for some rest, reading, and relaxation. I have searched for different campgrounds, but can't figure out which is the right campground. I know there is the airstream only campsite, but from the photos it looks like there isn't much privacy or space between the spots.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Roswell , Georgia
Suggestion

Carter's lake has a lot of nice campgrounds.
Also, Georgia Mountain fairgrounds (where the rallies normally are).
Vogel State park
Enota is nice/beautiful, but sites are close and pricey.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
We have stayed at Unicoi State Park (Helen) and Trackrock Campground (Blairsville). Both are excellent. Went into Airstream Park without our camper and it is a lovely campground and the folks there couldn't be any nicer, but they were a little tight for us as well. Let us know where you end up!

Laura & Tom
Old 04-26-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
1. Cloudland Canyon State Park - Rising Fawn, GA -
2. Doll Mountain COE (Carter's Lake) - Ellijay, GA - http://carters.sam.usace.army.mil/
Old 04-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The Airstream park near Helen is Top of Georgia. It might be more sedate than the start parks but all of them should be nice during the week. If you like to hike there are lots of things to do there. The AT runs through that area. I have hiked and backpacked much of that area.

Perry
Old 04-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have been to Top of Georgia Airstream park several times. I have never had another trailer next to me. Other than official rally times it seems very under used. The area is very well located for hiking the AT trail and sight seeing . Helen is a cool little tourist trap town modeled after an Alpine Village. It has some excellent German eateries. At $15 a night for non members with full hookups it is hard to beat. Another nice park is Georgia Fairgrounds located just up the road in Hiawassee. Springstream and Fallaluminum are held there each year.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
We've been to Red Top Mountain state park and really loved it. Beautiful woods and water. If you like the water, its a great place. Its about 20 min NW of Atlanta.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
I second Cloudland Canyon.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
GA Mountain Fairgrounds is a really nice campground owned and operated by the Lions Club of Towns County. There are two areas, one on each side of the highway. Area #2 is located near the music Hall, the Pioneer Village and Hamilton Botanical Gardens. Area #1 is away from the hustle and bustle of the main fairgrounds. The northeast GA mountains offer access to hiking the Appalachian Trail, quaint mountain towns, mountain lakes and great wineries. Brasstown Bald, the highest mountain peak in GA, is located nearby as well as Brass Town Lodge and Spa which has a golf course. Wolf Mountain Vineyards near Dahlonaga, GA (less than 45 miles from GA Mountain Fair Grounds) offers a nice weekend cafe and Sunday Brunch. The montains vistas from their outdoor dining area are fantastic. Dahlonega is an old gold mining town where you can still pan for gold. The gold on the GA State Capital Building dome was mined in Dahlonega. Helen GA, mentioned in a previous post, is very near Dahlonega. The Blue Ridge Scenic Railway runs between Blue Ridge GA and Copper Hill TN through the Chattahoochee National Forest. Blue Ridge is located about 40 miles from the GA Mountain Fairgrounds. White water rafting is about an hour away on the Ocoee River. The Ocoee was the site of the Atlanta Summer Olympic white water rafting events.

So much to do in the northeast GA mountains.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
The Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds at Hiawassee is absolutely beautiful and very spacious.

Just ask all the folks who congregate there annually for Springstream and Fallumium.

Sergei
Old 04-26-2015, 09:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
(Apologies for the hijack...)

Hey Sergei! Hope all is well. Tried to PM you but your space is full :-)

What are you camping in these days? Do you hear from the Vermont folks who bought your rig?
Old 04-26-2015, 10:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Hotel/Motel rooms, via MINI.

I hear from Heath and Mary often, traveling vicariously with them. Right now they are at Fort DeSoto State Park, near St. Petersburg in Florida.

They love the rig, which continues to get admirers.

I've cleared my blocked mail box, I think.

Thanks for being in touch,

Sergei
Old 04-26-2015, 11:12 PM   #13
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
We've stayed at or visited many of the areas mentioned. I don't think Cloudland Canyon has full hook-ups (but we were there without the Airstream, so I could be mistaken). You might also look at Red Top Mountain State park. I haven't been there in many years, so I don't remember the facilities available. Unicoi does has some full hookup sites. We visited Top Of Georgia a couple times, but haven't taken the Airstream there. Helen, just down the road, is very touristy, but as The Chief says, there's, some good chow there.

One of our favorite places is the Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds. We've been there many times for Forum Rallies and just on our own. Nice town, great campsite. We only found out about Enota in the last few weeks and are planning to go there this year. It's at the base of Brasstown Bald, sort of. Just a short drive away. Looks really interesting. Read all the rules on their Website (I'll get the link in a minute). It looks like it's more about preserving the area, looks very family and RV friendly.

Let us know how it turns out. Lots of quiet, peaceful places in NW and NE Georgia Mountains.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:20 PM   #14
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Here's the link to Enota: Enota - North Georgia Retreat Center - Cabins, RV Sites, Spa, Wellness Center Helen, Hiawassee

Read the refund rules carefully.

I see you're in West Point. Associated with the USMA?

Have fun!

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote