Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Joliet , Illinois
Be wary of fools and/or scammers - FYI

Recently listed our Airstream trailer and tow vehicle for sale through Air Forums. Pictures were clear, language succinct, and soon had several parties interested in Lucy3, our AS. In addition, we set up a savings account at our bank with a minimal balance to use just for the purpose of selling our AS and tow vehicle.

Several parties showed interest, or made comments, but after two weeks, we seemed to have a serious buyer. When he called, my phone reflected an "Unknown" party with no number listed, but the caller/buyer offered his cell phone number, city, Auckland, and country, New Zealand. Check.

Of course, after first phone conversation, I "searched," but was not satisfied. After 3-4 days and several more E-mails exchanged, I was still "waiting" to see a deposit sent to our bank. However, no wire transfer made.

By end of fifth day, my E-mail rescinded his full price offer and canceled the sale. Later the same day, my husband Googled "New Zealand and campers" and bingo!! He found quite the article saying there were hundreds of campers for sale on the island of New Zealand with no one to buy them, etc.

From the beginning, this skeptic tried to figure out what the point of his ruse would be....I had the trailer, I sent him no $, and the only thing I was 'out' was my time. Better than trailer and $. What am I missing?
Lucy815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy749 View Post
Recently listed our Airstream trailer and tow vehicle for sale through Air Forums. Pictures were clear, language succinct, and soon had several parties interested in Lucy3, our AS. In addition, we set up a savings account at our bank with a minimal balance to use just for the purpose of selling our AS and tow vehicle.

Several parties showed interest, or made comments, but after two weeks, we seemed to have a serious buyer. When he called, my phone reflected an "Unknown" party with no number listed, but the caller/buyer offered his cell phone number, city, Auckland, and country, New Zealand. Check.

Of course, after first phone conversation, I "searched," but was not satisfied. After 3-4 days and several more E-mails exchanged, I was still "waiting" to see a deposit sent to our bank. However, no wire transfer made.

By end of fifth day, my E-mail rescinded his full price offer and canceled the sale. Later the same day, my husband Googled "New Zealand and campers" and bingo!! He found quite the article saying there were hundreds of campers for sale on the island of New Zealand with no one to buy them, etc.

From the beginning, this skeptic tried to figure out what the point of his ruse would be....I had the trailer, I sent him no $, and the only thing I was 'out' was my time. Better than trailer and $. What am I missing?
Sounds to me like he negotiates a price then trys to flip it without yet buying it. If he gets a buyer than he purchases to flip and if not he wastes the sellers time with a lie. In other words you were on consignment without realizing it.
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy749 View Post

The first thing to suspect is attempted identity theft. Had the deal gone through, or supposedly gone through, the supposed buyer could have gotten his hooks into your bank account info.

Were you able to independently verify that the cell phone number really was a New Zealand number? If you ever tried to call him, did you have to use the "64" country code for New Zealand? And since it was a cell phone, did the telephone number begin with 02? In New Zealand, all mobile phone numbers begin with 02, at least according to Wikipedia.

E-mail can originate from anywhere, and you have no way of knowing the guy was really in New Zealand, or if he just had a sufficiently convincing story.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Joliet , Illinois
My thanks.....

Thank you for your alternative views; always good to have multiple eyes on an issue.

To Protagonist: Knew I could not ever verify E origins, but cell phone did begin with Area Code 021, and I did call it twice. Also checked E-mail timings to verify the 19 hour time difference, or at least rationalize when someone would "send" a response.

However, since the savings account was established just for the purpose of selling our vehicles, it baffles me as to "why" someone would feel wasting one's time would be such a hoot! Lord knows, I cannot fathom a crook's scheme, but wasting time certainly does not seem to be a winner.

Primary purpose for posting this thread was to be a "forewarned is to be forearmed" situation. Craigslist has its own reputation, but it is pathetic corruption has reached even to campers and tow vehicles.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Joliet , Illinois
Talking Scammers

As an addendum to my issue with scammers....since I was selling my 1995 AS, I would cruise the Air Forums Classifieds for our next vehicle or anything of interest. One day I spotted the same person who had strung us along for five days, as being the same person who had contacted the owner of a MoHo for sale. I contacted the MoHo seller and offered him my little story. Not surprisingly, the person was shocked, but happy I had taken the time to forewarn him.

An ounce of prevention....