Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Cushing , Maine
Batteries, winter storage

I just professionally winterized and will be standing my AS on gravel in my driveway until Spring. I have AS rooftop solar to keep batteries topped (everything is shut off), but wonder whether I should disconnect AGM batteries and store them on wood plank in 55-degree heated garage or can leave in trailer. This is on Maine coast so not Arctic but can have a few/rare winter days when temps approach zero. Looking for advice from others who've faced this question.
NarniaBCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

They should be fine in the RV as long as the solar stays functional. Put a foot of snow on top of the panels and that may not be the case ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Alaska
Same question from here in Western Lower Michigan. Just finished ours yesterday winterizing ours, I’m parking it next to my garage on concrete. I can keep it plugged in.
Dadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:02 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard!! 👍

I've done both...stored in the basement and left in the AS.
I ended up installing a battery "cut-off completely" switch to eliminate the parasitic draw left them in, checked them one a week and plugged in when needed. Switch on the right is the factory use/store.
BTW the wood does nothing but keep them dry. 👍

We now use lithiums and will do the same... but I doubt if they will need any attention until Spring.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1dfa.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	325507   Click image for larger version

Name:	166m5fp.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	325508  

Old 10-18-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I leave mine connected on the Airstream and use a battery tender that has a cold weather setting. It trickle charges and maintains the batteries throughout the winter.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
I leave mine connected on the Airstream and use a battery tender that has a cold weather setting. It trickle charges and maintains the batteries throughout the winter.

One or Two batteries? Will one battery tender handle both batteries if you had two batteries.
Dadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I pull mine out at the end of the season. If I lived in warmer climates, I'd prob just disconnect them.

AGMs may be different than my standard lead/acid deep cycle. I know that deep cycle batteries really don't like the cold. I've been able to reuse my batteries for nearly 8 seasons using this method, though admittedly, near season 8 the longevity of the batteries was substantially lower than they were in years 3-4
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadams View Post
One or Two batteries? Will one battery tender handle both batteries if you had two batteries.
Hi

One battery tender (if it's big enough) will happily handle two batteries. You are looking at 160AH of battery so size it accordingly. Roughly speaking you want something around 16A or so.

====

AGM's are no different than flooded cells when it gets cold. They both are lead acid batteries. The chemistry is the same so the response to temperature is the same. They don't need / can't use the "4th stage" of a multi stage converter, but that's not related to temperature.

Bob
Old 10-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Dadams....yes, it will charge both batteries. You hook up the positive on one battery and the negative on the other so the circuit is completed. This should do the job: https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G3500-Ul...rickle+charger
Old 10-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We have 2 6V AGM batteries and replaced the Univolt when we renovated. We always leave the batteries in the trailer and the trailer plugged in for the winter. We have never had a problem. It gets pretty cold here....

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, so what kind of problems *could* you have?

1) The batteries go dry from to much charging ( ... so check the water levels ...)
2) The batteries go flat from parasitic loads ( .... that's why the charger ...)
3) The batteries go flat and then freeze ( ... see 2 above ).
4) The trailer / MH catches fire from a defective charger ( .... insurance .... )
5) Power to the charger fails
6) Meteor impact....
7) Zombie apocalypse ....
8) Alien invasion ....

That's pretty much the full list

Bob