Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
sarasota , Florida
Bates RV dealership in FL sold

Came across a brief mention that Bates RV, the A/S dealer in Florida, has been sold. Their main location was on I-4 a few miles west of Tampa.. Also known for the "Airstream Ranch" which was a half dozen old A/S planted in the ground like tomb stones. New dealer name is Tampa RV. New owners are 3 brothers from upstate New York with family ties to the RV business. Looks like the location will stay the same. No idea how this will impact sales/service. We bought our 2011 International from Bates & haven't had much contact since the sale, but all went well for us. So, I guess time will tell how the new change of ownership goes for this A/S location.
airron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

My husband and I were just driving down 75 yesterday and wondered where all the Bates hightway billboards had gone. Guess that's why.

Those billboards were what got us into Airstreams. We were driving down the highway one day and kept seeing them as tere we so many. Since neither of us had ever looked in an Airstream we decided to go by and "look". We were blown away by the interiors as we had been looking at regular trailers with horrible interiors (who picks those fabrics anyway?)

Will be interesting to see what happens.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
East of Tampa, west is in the gulf. There are now 3 AS dealers in Fl., I believe. JDSanders in alachua just north of Gainesville and one in Ft Myers.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Sevierville , Tennessee
Lazy Days RV in Seffner also sells Airstreams now. Their location is very close to the former Bates RV lot. Also, CampingWorld that used to be next to Lazy Days has a new location at the next exit (I believe) east and they are selling RVs -- but not Airstreams. There is some very good competition in the area now.

As for me, it's JD Sanders RV in Alachua even with the two hour drive. It's a great family run business with employees from sales to service to management who are intent on serving customers at a reasonable profit rather than lining their pockets with money.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonanea View Post
Lazy Days RV in Seffner also sells Airstreams now. Their location is very close to the former Bates RV lot.
They're not listed on Airstream's dealer locator page. For Florida, they only list JD Sanders, Alachua; North Trail, two locations, Ft. Myers & Ft. Lauderdale; and Tampa RV, Dover (formerly Bates). Could it be that Lazy Days only sells used Airstream trailers, not new ones?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I pass by North Trail RV in Ft. Meyers when I service my RV parks in Ft. Meyers. Noticed the Airstreams there a couple of months ago. They wanted to sell the Interstates, and became a full line Airstream dealer.

From my past experience with many of my clients that buy their larger motorhomes there, they are a good place to buy but definitely beware of their service department (this statement is made from what my clients have passed on to me, and from what I have personally seen of their service work that needed corrective action my me).

North Trail is in the midst of a very large expansion at their Ft. Meyers location. Don't know where they will be getting all of the new service techs that will be needed for that expansion, but I'm sure that my call volume will be increasing as well!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Sevierville , Tennessee
There are 22 new Airstreams listed on Lazy Days' website right now. I'm not sure why the corporate website doesn't list them.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
2 dealers that close together seems odd, or did I miss something? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
Parkville , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonanea View Post
There are 22 new Airstreams listed on Lazy Days' website right now. I'm not sure why the corporate website doesn't list them.

The Airstreams you see listed for Lazy Days are at their Arizona Location ..Not Florida
MoBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Sevierville , Tennessee
Bates RV dealership in Fl sold

Ah, well that explains it.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
I stopped at Bates a few weeks ago after I visited Camping world which is almost next door and found that there was nobody there other than workmen doing construction of a new office. Now it all makes sense.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #12
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I was just sitting in the LazyDaze lot as I typed this.... didnt see a single riveted anything anywhere! Moving on.... nothing to see!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Be aware that Bates still has a presence in Fl. That presence in in Venice just south of Sarasota, right on Rt 41 in Venice. This location is I think the original Bates location or one of the locations they have had in Western FL. They have Airstreams and SOBs there right now for sale. I think new and used. I haven't been in there since I heard about the Rt 4 location being sold. I also was at North Trails in FT Myers, I think they will be a plus for Airstream.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #14
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Ah phooey! We JUST bought Pete there in early November! Our transaction smelled a little like something was up, but I figured they don't sell 30 of these a month, so maybe the whole process is a little bumpy.

Not a big deal for us from a sales perspective because we plan on keeping this coach for like the rest of our lives . But I was impressed with their service staff and their experience with Airstreams. A lot of talent and know-how there..........

I hope the new owner(s) carry the brand! Or, I will be driving North instead of South for any warranty work.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
JD Sanders

We bought our 34 ft. at JD Sanders. My husband had no complaints. I was a bit fussy, but in the end they did what they needed to do to seal the deal. My husband was very impressed with the service department and body shop. I do not anticipate ever getting another AS.......but if we did, I am sure my husband would drive the 4 hours back to JD Sanders.
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:47 PM   #16
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
Tampa RV ONE (formerly Bates RV)

OK, let me give some first hand knowledge. Bates is gone, new owner is RV ONE ongoing by Tampa RV. They have 5 locations. Albany, Buffalo, Orlando somewhere in Iowa and now TAMPA. They have retained much of the Bates Staff, Have a lot of Airstream stock, presently building new building for Airstream service and seem quite dedicated to Airstream. They will be at Alumna Flamingo and at the Tampa RV show this coming week. I just traded in my 2005 Classic and put in an order for a 2015 Classic 31'. FYI they need used inventory and gave me a very good deal on my trade. Very Professional staff and I was quite confident after meeting new owners.
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #17
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Was there in the past hour. Several units in stock.... no parts no service until next month.
Met one of the new owners.... very nice!
Looks like good things on the way!
Gone are the remnants of the former owner. Lots of landscaping and modernizing going on.

Best wishes!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Meet the new owners at the Tampa show and was VERY pleased with them. They have just bought Bates and I feel still working out everything. I will be ready to buy in 1 year and will use them. Good people with knowledge of the Airstream product. I told them it will be a year but still sat us down to talk about what we wanted and put us on there e mail list. I feel after the dust settles they will be giving the big locations a run for there money. I hope.
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I wonder if Aorstream ranch will be taken down now that Mr. Bates no longer owns the dealership. Hillsborough County has been fighting him for some to take it down.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
We had a very good experience w Sanders for our current purchase also. They were very accommodating.
We had been to Bates several years ago but bought elsewhere. No particular reason except they did not have what we wanted at that time.