Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
Bad Taste from RV one in Tampa, FL

I have been looking for a M-30 Classic and had found one recently at the above dealer. We took a 3 hour ride from Saint Augustine last week to see a 2015 that they had on their lot for 94,550. Before I went, I thought that given the NADA retail value of $ 73,950 for that unit that the 94 was high, but we went anyway. The classic had not been cleaned at all. I won't go into details, but it just was not presentable. But we did talk with the people and even though we weren't looking to deal last Sunday, the sales manager came back in with a bottom line price of 88K +. I asked them if they would put my hitch on ( I plan on buying a new Propride). They said no, because they didn't sell them. I let that go last week, as I wasn't ready to deal.

By this morning on "AirstreamClassififeds.com" they had reduced the price to $ 84,995. I thought a new call would be in order. Last week, I thought their entire attitude was a bit arrogant. Today proved that. Just got off the phone with the sale rep.( who really didn't know much about AS's). I talked about the hitch. He said, that I would have to get it mounted. I replied, how do I get the AS from your lot to where I can get it mounted. His response was, effectively, that it was my problem. He had no Idea. (?)

Next I brought up the NADA value and he said, have you found any for that price. No, but I'm not going to pay 10K more than it's retail value. He said we are at 89. I said you're at 84,995. He refused to acknowledge that the ad in the classifieds was theirs.

I just said - Have a nice day.

Anyway, just thought I would relay this for "FYI" knowledge.

Still looking for a used Classic,preferably '14 or newer.
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
MOS
3 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Queensbury , New York
I had trouble with them trying to buy a new 2016 FC.
After a number of issues with them . I went elsewhere .
MOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
NADA is usually reported to be unrealistically low. So it may or may not be an appropriate negotiating tool. Individual coach condition will certainly vary considerably. You would not have wanted your hitch installed by someone who did not have appropriate training and experience, so they did you a service on that detail.

The give and take of a vehicle sale can be confrontational. However, there are lots of quality coaches out there and a trip down the road is part of the adventure. ASs are selling at a significant pace as the Boomer demand is up. You may need to wait a bit for that red hot deal to develop or the next one you see may be a diamond in the rough, a hidden gem, or an uninformed seller who is disillusioned about the RV life. It happens.

Good hunting. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Using NADA as your guide will result in a long and painful search. Their values on Airstreams are generally well below actual market prices. Just a heads up.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Far better you figured out all this *before* buying something from them....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I found my dealer unwilling to negotiate much on a new Airstream, other than throwing in some accessories and giving me a 20% discount on two generators.. They do have significant sales from time to time on some of the larger models that evidently don't move very fast, but that doesn't trickle down to the 23-25' models, unless they have some left over from the prior year. I was somewhat surprised, compared with my experience buying vehicles, but they were still pretty firm after 3 visits, so evidently they are moving them fast enough that they don't need to bargain. OTOH, they have been great to deal with on maintenance and repair issues.

Still not as hot a market as California homes, where you better come up with an offer at least 10% over the asking price on the first day it is listed if it is a desirable home or somebody else is going to get it. My Spanish tutor is a real estate salesman, and he had just listed a home an hour before my lesson. He got 3 calls during my lesson, all above the asking price. He spent more time on the phone than he did on my lesson, so he didn't charge me for that one. But one of the calls was in Spanish, and he quizzed me about how much of it I understood afterwards, which was spontaneous and fun.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Hate dealing with used car salesmen trying sell trailers. Especially AIRSTREAM's that they know nothing about.

I have received several quotes from RV One on new AIRSTREAM's. They have all been in the 20% off area. You might make out better bank wise buying new. Worth thinking about IMO.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Couple of years ago, after noticing a big disparity between NADA and market prices, I contacted NADA for an explanation.

The woman I talked to said that their RV prices are essentially made up, because there is little to no useful data to go on (RV dealers don't report selling prices as is done for automobiles). She said that a bunch of RV industry people sit around a conference table and invent the numbers, which are then run through algorithms to account for product age and region.

That's what the NADA person said - -
vito98103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
RV One Is The WORST!

I have never purchased from them, but live within 50 miles of this so called dealer and have had my AS there for service. I thought the prior ownership was bad, but RV One is the bottom of the bottom when it comes to customer service. I have never experienced a more pitiful business in my entire life. Beware of this dealer!
One wonders why Airstream seems to look the other way on complaints for this franchise?
mike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #10
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Regarding NADA values and Airstreams...

I've compared prices on several Airstreams versus NADA and found the published NADA prices to be very low. At best, NADA would be the rock bottom, lowest price you could expect to buy a given model for on the open market. If you're buying, try to use NADA to your advantage. If you're selling, don't give it a thought except to find ways to discredit the price published by NADA. I've been on both sides of that proverbial "fence" and found NADA to be less than helpful.

Unfortunately, institutions that loan money put quite a bit of confidence in NADA numbers so buying and selling is further complicated by that matter.

Scouring classified ads, Craigslist, etc. will give you a better idea what to pay when buying or what to ask when selling.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Olympia , Washington
NADA is the insurance industry bible; don't you know!
Sovereign85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shreveport , Louisiana
Is the Orlando dealer any better?
Endodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Wheatley , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Using NADA as your guide will result in a long and painful search. Their values on Airstreams are generally well below actual market prices. Just a heads up.
x2...forget NADA when it comes to Airstreams
lovetokite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #14
J&J In A Can

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cottonwood , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endodoc View Post
Is the Orlando dealer any better?
We had a great buying experience at Orlando RV. Great price and great people to work with. However, we have had no significant problems with our rig, so we have no experience with after purchase service. We probably won't go that far for service anyway.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
RV One

Bought my 2015 FC 28 there. They also installed my ProPride. Have about 12,000 mile with it, but have never been comfortable with their installation. Problem is I do not have expertise to reinstall and have been trying to find someone in a 500 mile radius of Atlanta with no luck. Plan is to pull to Colonial to reinstall. Anyone on here know of someone in Atlanta area up to 500 miles?

Also I had heard stories about RV One poor service but in my situation living north of Atlanta I always planned to get service from Jackson Center which is about same drive distance.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Perry , Georgia
A good hitch up is worth the drive.
CAN-AM
J-K Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
After living in Europe and the courtesy that bus. have many US bus. need to look at Europe bus. I won't use self check out as takes a job away from some one, plus I don't work there. If a bus. treated me as some posts here I will walk away as I'm the buyer, cater to me or good by as there are other bus. that would like my money.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
"Nova"... no-go
"NADA"... not another dogged Airstream!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
NADA is the reason why my husband and I had to negotiate an agreed value insurance policy. Their valuation was so low that they had clearly pulled the number out of thin air.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
We bought from Foley RV in Gulfport, MS. I was pretty happy with the price and the service we got through the whole process. I would send anyone there - and it wouldn't be too bad of a drive over from FL.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote