Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
You are right, for the most part. It is tradition, but IMHO more about prestige. The officers of the club, from Region all the way up thru International, and all past officers in those positions, are treated like royalty at most big functions, and all the rest of the "regular members" are there to pay homage to the royalty, or so it appears to most of us.

At least, that is the impression that I and many other "regular members" take away from an International rally. Like a good friend of mine once said, "If you don't wear red pants, there's nothing there for you".

Again, don't get me wrong, I love our unit, and it's activities. The Region and International, not so much.
Steve,
I totally understand what you are saying. The "red pants effect" flows downward into many unit leaders too (even when they don't admit it). In other words, their desire to be a part of that elite structure shows in how they act towards others. I've been there - I've seen it. This is why I said that it is NOT simply up to the newcomer to "take what's fun and leave the rest" because that newcomer has to live with the "red pants effect" in their local unit.

Airstream is selling new trailers like crazy - increasing production! Yahoo! Many new buyers are younger than 82 years old - - yahoo!~ These new buyers really don't care about "red pants." Yahoo! Now, all that's needed is a fresh pair of pants, some adventurous spirit, some gumption and new charter that is democratic and lets EVERYONE share in the fun & the responsibility for making Airstream adventuring the Number One RV activity in the USA! Yahoo!

I can feel the fresh breeze blowing out my door!

Old 04-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Wink

Why do I have this mental image of Madame Defarge, shouting "The guillotine, the guillotine!"?

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
Why do I have this mental image of Madame Defarge, shouting "The guillotine, the guillotine!"?
Hmm? Well, I don't knit and I rarely sit and watch.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Only a fool would rush in where angels fear to tread, so.... :fool:

What if someone started say the ASUWBC (Airstream Users Wally B. Club) with whatever more democratic rules seemed necessary and issued say green numbers? Would that help or just be more problematic? Is the current club the only option?

By the way - I signed up because of the tradition and joined a local chapter (going on a weekend soon) and also fully intend to solo and/or hang out with whomever we like whenever we like. Someday, God-willing I can retire, I LOVE the idea of a 3 month journey with fellow AS lovers...but would another club be such a bad idea if the current version doesn't meet ones needs?

Please re-read top line again :innocent!:
Old 04-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
There is no one cure all.

You can please everyone some of the times, but you can't please some people all of the time.

Strive for excellence, except mediocrity.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Back again, with a couple more points.. I am also pleased this thread is staying civil and polite.. By way of disclaimer, I've been a member of WBCCI since 2004, and continue paying dues plus 4CU dues (much less than Member at Large fee..). We've been to 2 "Event Rallies", 1 International Rally and several unit rallies. We are also active with Forum group that does 2 large rallies/year in northern Calif, and have attended 1 R&B "Aluma" event in Tucson this year..

The "Motorhome Wars" were very uncivil, and were linked at some level to name changing initiatives. My sense was that vast majority of those high-level officers have already transitioned to motorhome ownership, and don't want to go back to or deal with trailers.. Odd since that is all Airstream has built for roughly 10 years, but that was painful.

Similarly, reformers suggested changing name to reflect Airstream directly, and that actually triggered trademark concerns in Ohio factory, and there is little room to diminish or mis-use the name in any way.. That was behind this Forum changing its name as well, as the Airstream brand was extended and evolved. No new club could use the term "Airstream" in its name or materials without some permission and rules from the company. Similarly, use of images or designs are also protected. This is a good thing and necessary under the law, but t would keep anyone here from creatively starting their own "Airstream Fun Camping Club"..

Finally, I strongly concur with opinion that so many of leadership positions filled by people with many years of tradition that they really aren't interested or eager to change "their club" and continue pressing new owners and potential members to "get comfortable and enjoy" the club they are running.. Some do, many don't.. And yes, some units are great, run by younger people, focused on weekends and short trips, with few rules and minimal structure.. Others are different, and often aging and winding down. You can enjoy your Airstream solo or with a few new friends or as part of group other than a "unit" after a while. I'd recommend to anyone still following this thread to give a variety of options a try.. After 10 years, we still enjoy our Airstream, still enjoy interesting places and activities and still feel like part of a community. Thursday local unit rallies at fairgrounds aren't a part of the program for us, but we are fine being connected to a larger and happier group centered some distance from us. As the famous saying goes, your mileage may vary...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Interesting the that the stuck-in-tradition, unwilling-to-change, living-in-the-past descriptions of the WBCCI here also apply to the Airstream trailers themselves.

Good traditions evolve slowly; we're fortunate to have both of these.

doug k
Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
This is a good thing and necessary under the law, but t would keep anyone here from creatively starting their own "Airstream Fun Camping Club"..
I don't see the word "Airstream" as creating any barrier to the creation of a modern club for Airstream enjoyment.

In the first case, I think "Airstream Owners Club" falls under the nominative use doctrine of the copyright law. (Nominative use - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

But, if that is NOT the case, such names as "AirTrails" with a little bit of advertising would do just as well. I would probably side toward the latter just to avoid any contentious feelings.

Your comments regarding the uncivil nature of the various reforms attempted speak well of the idea of "starting with a clean sheet of paper." Knowing what I know of the reform efforts (a bit here and there from participants) I would call it "hitting your head on a wall."
Old 04-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Wrong place for legal discussion, but copyright fair use and trademark fair use are very different.. Airstream Inc. and Thor have been very assertive in pursuing non-licensed uses of their trademarks in the past... The name change for this Forum is good case in point...

There have been multiple discussions around "Starting over.." in prior years, and none have succeeded in really getting off the ground.. I suspect informal regional Forum groups and events are going to continue to expand and become more popular.. Eventually the Forum crowd and styles will begin to influence the WB crowd, but it will take a while...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 04-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
No doubt "starting over" would face a tremendous inertia. It's not easy to do. Right now I don't think most new buyers are joining WBCCI. Meaning the non-W population is growing faster than the W population. Given that there are numerous benefits to a organized club, there will no doubt be a point where the inertia can be overcome. I hope so!
Old 05-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #81
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
New to RVing so many dumb questions. I officially am a resident of South Dakota but I actually live in La Paz, Mexico although my home state is California. I think I would like to join the Club but really don't know which one to join. At some point I would like to do some of these rallies. Any suggestions? Does joining any Club automatically make you a member of the Wally Club along with an official number?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #82
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
New to RVing so many dumb questions. I officially am a resident of South Dakota but I actually live in La Paz, Mexico although my home state is California. I think I would like to join the Club but really don't know which one to join. At some point I would like to do some of these rallies. Any suggestions? Does joining any Club automatically make you a member of the Wally Club along with an official number?
Good question. If you join any unit of the WBCCI you can attend any rally in any unit. The unit that you join is the unit that you will be able to vote and hold office in, but those are the only restrictions. There are 120+ units in the club and each one is a little or sometimes a lot different. I would suggest a unit that has a strong presents online to keep you better informed. First year membership can be done online and a few units offer renewal online as well. The big red numbers are sent as part of your first year membership.

Membership in the club is based on the calendar year, but if you join after July 1st, your first year membership will be good until the end of the next year. If you join before July, your first year membership would end the end of that calendar year.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
One item Richard failed to mention is that his unit (The 4CU or Four Corners Unit in the AZ/NM/CO area..) is one of a handful of "fully digitized" units, with e-mailed pdf Directories and Newsletters (Fabulous color productions!!) and the lowest additional costs of any unit in the WBCCI.. <Even less expensive than belonging to NO unit..>. They don't do a lot of organizational meetings or meetings in restaurants for lunches (at least that we can see..), but do get out and use their Airstreams and have a good time..

The 4CU has members in more than 20 states, great rallies across the southwestern US, and full eligibility to participate in any other WBCCI Rally or caravan... Look for their website for information on how to join...

Old 05-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
Thanks for your inquiries, and welcome, graysailor, as a brand new member of the 4CU/WBCCI! We are pleased that you have decided to join the ranks of our group of happy campers! We look forwrad to meeting you at our rallies soon!

Condoluminum is right ... we are digital, and don't have restaurant meetings ... we just go camping together! And just for the record, the 4CU has 210 member rigs (including 83 affiliates - members from other WBCCI units who also want to be associated with the 4CU) from the US & Canada, representing 27 states and 151 cities. We're pleased you are now a part of this dynamic gang.

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote