Old 06-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #29
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
Sure we are. As life progressed and backpacking changed to campground camping in tents, then vans, pop-ups and finally our Airstream I never considered it camping unless we were in a tent and living out of a backpack. So I truly believe if you pull an Airstream or any of the SOBs you are Glamping.

Glamp on my friends,

Bill

Old 06-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have been for the last two years. It use to be tents up until then. One morning my 7 year old grandson and I woke up and saw that a Bambi had pulled into one of the sights, I asked him if he would like to go see it and he said yes. We asked the owner if we could look in side. She said yes. His eyes lit up like big ballons and he said to me this is perfect. He said I could sleep in the big bed, he would sleep on the couch and his Dad could still sleep in the tent. My wife and i went out and purchased our FlyingCloud and loving it ever since. The convection oven allows me to make fresh scones or other bake goods and of course fresh coffee and some times I bring our espresso machine if we are gone for a while.

My only question is why did I wait so long.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Distinctions about coffee are important to me. I'm a coffee snob and always will be.
Here, here!

Maggie
Old 06-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Glamper? I guess after years of tent, truck and pop up camping it's more a comfort is the key philosophy.

This was driver home on one of our non boondocking camping trips. It had been raining cats and dogs all night and into the morning. As I sat there at the dinette in my robe with a cup of coffee.

I watched my tent camping neighbor out in the rain trying to light his coleman stove for coffee. He was drenched stove not lighting and it occurred to me. Life is very good in an Airstrem.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #33
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The word itself is over-the-top. Diversionary, versus something worthwhile like how to get the weight of these porky pig trailers back down.

Distinctions about coffee-drinking, etc, make the whole thing as ridiculous as the idea tendered . . it hasn't enough weight to be an idea, and not at all conceptual . . except that there are those who fall for the same trap as to make it that most specious bit of modern America: lifestyle.

The Emperors new clothing.

Oh, dear. We spent over 30 years in academia, trying to save the planet in various ways. We lived an austere life in order to fund the kids' educations. For our retirement, we thought we could coddle ourselves slightly-- while discussing big ideas-- in our abstemious 16-footer.

Lifestyle? I don't think it's a dirty word. Ours is comparatively modest. Oftentimes one can live well with a sense of design or pleasure on a budget, vs. spending a lot of money on something that is ultimately unsatisfying.

But it's funny how most of us are thinking of glamping as getting out of that old tent! I had no idea.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
But it's funny how most of us are thinking of glamping as getting out of that old tent! I had no idea.
Yep, that's exactly it for us.

We're off the ground, protected from the elements, with running water and a potty.

And, our lovely surroundings go with us wherever we go.

Life is good.

Maggie
Old 06-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The only ties to "camping" are staying at a state park, cooking on the grill, and building a fire. Even with the windows open we have satellite TV, Bluray discs, XM radio, iPods, and Bluetooth. The "camping" element is gone at do-called "resorts" that don't allow camp fires, have wi-fi, and cable.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #36
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Same Trailer, Different Park....

Sez it all...

My House Kacey Musgraves Lyrics - YouTube

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cedartown , Georgia
I just found and read this thread...I guess there are more airstream glampers than I thought. I recently posted on this site my new forum about glamping www.glampforum.com, check it out if you're interested. It's just a bunch of people having a fun time talking about the ways we camp and glamp. I wouldn't really call myself a glamper but then others think I'm out there but all in all, I think we all just love camping comfortably!

oh, and here's the thread I had started on this forum
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...um-105205.html
they've posted some fun pics
Old 06-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #38
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I don't think of camping in my Interstate as glamping. But anyone who wants to call it glamping is welcome to do so, without hurting my feelings. I'm long past deriving any sense of moral superiority from masochistic self-sacrifice while roughing it.

As far as I'm concerned, the three greatest inventions of mankind, that makes modern civilization what it is, are these: flush toilets, water heaters, and indoor climate control. I make no apology for bringing these artifacts of civilization along when I visit the great outdoors. If that's glamping, then so be it!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #39
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
"Lifestyle? I don't think it's a dirty word . . . ."

It is. It posits that there are no differences between choices. As if the latest three-chord syncopated noise called "music" bears any relation what takes talent and study to accomplish. Washing away this kind of discussion with asides about "culture" and the rest is an apology for demeaning comparisons. It's a marketing term used to shut down discussions. Sad that it is taken seriously.

As to RV's, I'll stick with the difference in how much electrical one can generate on ones own. Where the line is between a little and a lot seems to me to cover the idea of "glamour" and "camping". We none of actually need electricity in an RV outside of the furnace blower motor, it is a convenience therefore a want rather than a need.

Where glamour creeps in is somewhere past what 80% of the RV market according to price already has as standard. Well past needs. And an A/C or a TV is hardly glamorous whether today or forty years ago. 100k for an RV is a long ways below "glamorous" and maybe $300k is as well.

Airstream marketing might try to roll over some (as does Harley-Davidson with their inferior motorcycles) with an idea that this trailer has glamour that other brands do not . . so this likely tells us that the reasons for it to exist -- low HP draw, generally rugged construction (international Caravans) and great road performance -- are the hallmarks of a bygone era. Modern owners wouldn't care about technological upgrades to improve the breed and haven't the intelligence to know the difference between what matters and what doesn't. Suckers.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Meh. I'd say glamping is in the eye of the beholder. Even when I was a kid, sleeping on the ground on my mom's WWII surplus tarp, while she and my little brother slept in the Volvo station wagon, the down sleeping bag I had felt deluxe and we always had good food. Now, to me, glamping is sharing good food and wine, being comfortable while exploring the world. There is a style element too, projecting a lifestyle, whether it's trashy or high design or somewhere in between or to either side, but it's something intentional. I love the design of our kinda ratty old trailer, fitted out with bits of my late mom's cool mid-century wedding gifty stuff. Glamping is comfort and style, not over-the-top, that's too easy. You can always throw more money at something, but if you look at the trailer glamping blogs, a lot of what you see is repurposed. It's a new word open to a lot of definition, and it's actually really fun to see how people respond to it.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cedartown , Georgia
well said globie64. I just had to quote you on the glamping forum.

(here's the link. let me know if you want me to delete it)

Intention - A forum dedicated to trailers, vintage or new, and how we camp in them.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Oh wow, 247, I'm flattered! Cheers, and cool forum, btw. I think I'll join!