1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Cool Are you a glamper?

AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
We DEFINITELY fit into that category. We tent camped for years and then pop up camped for 3 more. Now we like to get out, explore nature, kayak, bike, hike, and then cook outside over the fire, sit by it for a few hours and then go inside into the AC, take a nice hot shower, and get into a nice comfy bed and fall asleep watching TV or movies.

I'm usually awoken by the sound of the Keurig perkolating at 7am in the morning.

Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Curry County , Oregon
Wow, the wife and I are at the beautiful City of the Rocks and make no doubt about we are glamping. The wife is fixin Calabrian chicken al Martinez and olive pesto smashed potatoes and I
am hard at listening The Time Jumpers on the stereo all the while it is sprinkling outside and snowing on the nearby mountaintops. Life is good!!!
Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Glamping is the only way I can get my wife to come camping. I grew up on an isolated farm, where we built tree houses in the forest and went to camp for the first time when I was eight years old.

My wife refuses to sleep on the ground, or in a tent for that matter.

The AS is a compromise that works for both of us.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia

I am in the same boat as you, my friend. I grew up walking into the woods with a knife and coming out three days later..after me and my buddies nearly froze to death.

My wife's family, on the other hand, stayed at the Hilton. A camper was a middle of the road arrangement for us.

It's actually worked out quite well. I don't miss sleeping on the ground of a stick and leaf A-frame so much when I have my king size Simmons Beauty Rest in the back of the 34' triple axle

My boy is 8. Maybe soon I will take him into the woods and we'll build a shelter like me and my teenage buddies did way back....then we'll realize "....this stinks! Let's get the silver twinkie back out!"

See ya on the road,
- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Tents for years as a kid and young adult, still hike remotely - but love my Airstream relaxing in comfort while enjoying mother nature plus I can bring my bed with me when I leave home and not worry about bedbugs...
John "JFScheck" Scheck
2014 Itasca Solei 34T in Red Maple
Freightliner XCS Chassis with Cummins 6.7 ISB & Allison MH Transmission
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #21
On adventure with H&G

2012 30' Flying Cloud
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Lansing , Kansas
Frankly, I like the fact that the Airstream allows you to staddle two different worlds. I understand that the companies founder considered it the superior way to travel and marketed it as such. For our family it is. We spend about 6-8 weeks per year on the road, and frankly it is better:, easy, flexible, comfortable, convenient, and superior by far to flying.

I think it is better for camping. We used to tent camp with little ones. One night in the rain, while trying to warm up a bottle (starting kids a bit later), my wife and I thought--we have 30 years in the Army together sleeping on the ground, we don't need any more. We now have our fill of nature and then can go inside. When one of my dearest friends from college came to visit and wanted to go camping, he seemed disappointed that we weren't ruffing it at first. After four days of pouring rain in the Olympic mountains, we still had a great time, but he didn't miss the tent.

Once my wife heard of 'glamping', she glamped on! Consider us part of the movement.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We fit, except that we don't have a feather bed, but we do use a nice down comforter, and we don't make crepes, however I do make a killer green chile breakfast burrito. We seldom eat out. So many times it can be an expensive disappointment.

We used to tent camp out of our dune buggy all over Mexico and to Alaska, also out of our street rod at car events.

We choose not to rough it anymore, although we do dry camp several weeks a year at Quartzsite and other locations. Just did two nights in beautiful downtown San Ramon at a Kite Festival. We do have solar and an inverter as well as a Honda 2000.

Roughing it is an Airstream without a microwave or satellite TV service.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
1972 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
One thing I can say about AS is that long term boondocking is AWESOME... I hated ruffing it in a tent.
Thisisliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #24
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I don't think of "glamping" as the difference between the rocks-in-your-back-in-the-wet-tent stuff vs. a modest RV. What bugs the heck out of us are the huge "white box" 5th wheels and Class A motor homes, long trailers that are half "toy" haulers, and anything totally unnecessary for a decent camping trip. This would include (but is not limited to) RVs with wide-screen TVs, curio cabinets, two bathrooms, 5 slide-outs, and a washer-drier.

They have totally changed our camping experiences, and one hesitates to call it "camping" with these rolling second homes.

We camped at Furnace Creek in Death Valley last February, and could scarcely see the scenery, we were so hemmed in by these monsters hauling totally unnecessary stuff. The man in the next site volunteered that he didn't think of his Greyhound Bus-sized motorhome as camping. We didn't, either.

But hey, Bambi may be small, but we still have taste. Our ideas of glamping:

1. Start the first night out with champaign. The flutes are packed in their original styrofoam boxes, and survive amazingly bumpy roads.
2. Crystal wine glasses for the reds. The also travel in their original packing boxes.
3. Finding the classical music radio station or packing some CDs
4. No instant coffee, ever. We carry a plastic cone, filter papers, and a thermos carafe for fair trade organic drip coffee. (No room for appliances in a 16-footer.)
5. Cloth napkins. Matching dishes and tableware. Placemats. Decent from-scratch fresh food.
6. Taking advantage of Bambi's hot shower on occasions when we can air the place out. Good towels.
7. Watching Downton Abbey DVDs on the laptop. (A better bet for remote places with no cell phone service or wi-fi, notably when camping in the US as roaming charges are prohibitive.) Books on the Kindle.

Having said that, we enjoy hiking, swimming, canoeing, and wood fire cookery. We are apt to get wet and muddy out-of-doors. But we got too old to face packing up that wet tent one more time-- and got turned off by the look of most of the SOB RVs on the road.

Jeanne (Len could care less about those little niceties of life..... )
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #25
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
As we were in the hot tub at the campground I was thinking we might be glampers. As my wife was calling for an appointment with a masseuse I was thinking we might be glampers. We eat out alot. That ain't very campy. Our Classic 30 with 2 roof airs, 2 flat screens, a Bluray, and hickory cabinets is nicer than our brick house.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #26
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
The word itself is over-the-top. Diversionary, versus something worthwhile like how to get the weight of these porky pig trailers back down.

Perhaps one can distinguish between RVs that have the basics covered in a reliable, long-lived package, as against those with marble flooring and complete isolation from the environment no matter the weather or surroundings.

A NEWELL is one gorgeous motorcoach. Completely over the top. 25-tons of vehicle offering no more, really, than an 8-ton combined rig (where 2-4 tons is the family vehicle in other circumstances).

There's a line there somewhere. And it looks as though the difference is in the amount of electricity one can independently generate.

After all, in comparison to most tent-camping (contrasted to near-permanent wall tents on a dedicated platform), a basic RV of quality can host one if ill or injured as it offers shelter and amenities at a remove from camping where one has not the advantage of self-containment and needs evacuation to other facilities. Electricity is an option, not so with water or propane (to an RV's functionality).

One might argue that this is the biggest step (and I'd agree) but to call any/all RVs by some funny word leaves out distinctions. A family of modest means can afford self-containment, but it is another thing all together to own/operate something that is at the corporate/government level of expenditure.

We may as well distinguish between the hired hand in his bedroll and the family asleep in the Conestoga.

Apparently, all RVs are "glamping". Comes across as other pseudo-words such as "pro-active", etc, where cuteness is of higher virtue than accuracy. But glamour does not affix itself to all RVs used for camping by any means.

Distinctions about coffee-drinking, etc, make the whole thing as ridiculous as the idea tendered . . it hasn't enough weight to be an idea, and not at all conceptual . . except that there are those who fall for the same trap as to make it that most specious bit of modern America: lifestyle.

The Emperors new clothing.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #27
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Distinctions about coffee are important to me. I'm a coffee snob and always will be.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member
1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Even with upgrades and technology, the challenge can still remain in camping, even in the Airstream. A frequent occurrence and we'll eventually get it right is after some nice chilled white wine, trying to find the remote control while you are listening and using XM/SIRRUS stereo system through a BOSE 5 or similar speaker/wireless system under those dimmer switch controlled LED lights. Reminds me of trying to find something in a backpack with a flashlight in the tent, from days of the past.

I think we might catch on to this Glamping thing.

SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote