Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Talking Are They Crazy in Jackson Center?

For fun.

I was just browsing the AS website looking at new 2013 floor plans. I noticed the Bambi is gone and replaced by "Sport" line. WHAT?! Are they crazy? Getting rid of one of the most iconic, well known brand names in Airstream history for "Sport?" I was shocked. It brought back memories of Ford ditching a 20 year investment in Taurus for "500?" One of the goofiest moves in recent Ford history.
Quote: "In the same report, Ford's new marketing chief Barry Engle expressed a similar sentiment. Asked why Ford doesn't rename the Fusion or the Five Hundred "Taurus," Engle said, "stranger things have happened ["¦] I don't know why we invest hundreds of millions of dollars in a name over 20 years and then walk away from it."
I am kinda shocked that anyone would think the highly generic, over-used "Sport" could possibly be a better branding choice than "Bambi."

I hope it works out for them.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Nothing like being unavailable for a year or two to keep something in demand,

is my guess.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Now you've done it! I was curious so first I went to the Airstream web site and looked at the various floorplans. Not much has changed so then I gave up all my personal information and downloaded the 20123 brochure to see what was up....
They clearly list all trailers below 22' as Bambi models!
Now I will have to explain to my wife why we are getting sales calls from Airstream dealers .
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Not sure if I should be doing this but......

http://info.airstream.com/Portals/14...iler_Small.pdf
Old 12-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
For fun.

I was just browsing the AS website looking at new 2013 floor plans. I noticed the Bambi is gone and replaced by "Sport" line. WHAT?! Are they crazy? Getting rid of one of the most iconic, well known brand names in Airstream history for "Sport?" I was shocked.

[/INDENT]I am kinda shocked that anyone would think the highly generic, over-used "Sport" could possibly be a better branding choice than "Bambi."

I hope it works out for them.
I am shocked that the Bambi is not a 16 foot trailer meant for two. The wrong turn was using the names that once denote size for an entire line. It diluted what was a great thing. Flying Cloud, Sovereign, Bambi all lost respectability when they did that. Then again a guy like me is just a vintage snob anyhow.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
"Bambi" still denotes small-sized and is badged as such...although they have added the 22' Sports and the 20' Flying Cloud to the list called "Bambis"... Our Bambi, for instance, is a Safari 19' SE (which was changed to Flying Cloud in 2009 I believe).
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Not sure when but at some point Airstream started calling all single axle trailers Bambi models.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I guess Airstream likes to reuse the classic names. So far Bambi, Safari and Flying Cloud have been recycled. Any guesses on which will be next? Pacer and Globe Trotter are on the top of my list.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I guess Airstream likes to reuse the classic names. So far Bambi, Safari and Flying Cloud have been recycled. Any guesses on which will be next? Pacer and Globe Trotter are on the top of my list.
Only problem with "Pacer" is it conjures up images of the AMC automobile
Bruce
Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Bruce
Good thing they did not use Gremlin.

Traveler is another candidate.

Coming up with new names can be complicated. When I worked for IBM they hired outside companies to research names for new off spring companies that they were creating.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Bruce
Or the Piper Pacer aircraft. . .

Piper PA-20 Pacer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(I got my private pilot license in a Tri-Pacer, a.k.a. "the flying milk stool".)
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
it is all dilution of what were once great model names. Sorry old school purist here
22 foot Bambi. FOR SHAME 22 foot is a Flying Cloud or a Safari.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Or the Piper Pacer aircraft. . .

Piper PA-20 Pacer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(I got my private pilot license in a Tri-Pacer, a.k.a. "the flying milk stool".)
I checked this out with Google.... it seems to have none of the negative associations of the AMC! Cool looking little plane actually. The only small plane I have ever flown in was a Grumman Tiger a friend once owned, it was a blast!
Bruce
Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Not sure when but at some point Airstream started calling all single axle trailers Bambi models.
I was told the same thing. The other change is that the other names simply identify a trim level, various sizes are possible under a single name.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Not sure if I should be doing this but......

http://info.airstream.com/Portals/14...iler_Small.pdf
Now it's more confusing. The brochure shows a "Flying Cloud 20 Bambi?" Funny stuff. I sense a bit of confusion possible.

Like some others mentioned, I think of Bambi as a 16-foot trailer. I wouldn't think the naming scheme would really be that hard. Who knew?

The web site doesn't really match the brochure then.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I'm still confused that Airstream got rid of 16' Bambis in uplevel International or CCD trims like Bruce's fabulous trailer. And they got rid of the 23' L-lounge floor plan that we own (and love). Oh well...

I also agree that calling a 22' trailer "Bambi" seems (literally) like a stretch.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Here's the link and article to the 2013 "Land Yacht Concept Trailer" that debut at the recent RV show in L'ville, with a nautical theme. It will be interesting to see if they make any of these. Nice concept though.

Makers of the iconic ‘silver bullet’ travel trailers like the Next-gen Series 2 International 684 Caravan, the classic 1954 Airstream caravan, the Victorinox Special Edition Airstream, and the 2011 Eddie Bauer Airstream travel trailer, Airstream which is also the longest-tenured recreational vehicle manufacturer in North America will now unveil its newest luxury concept trailer, the ‘Airstream Land Yacht’, during the National RV Trade Show in Louisville, on Nov. 27-19th. This Land Yacht which boasts truly yacht-like interiors and incorporates elements from the world’s finest luxury watercrafts is actually the product of an international collaboration between Airstream, the maker of fine cabinetry Technoform S.p.A and the design studio of Officinia Italiana Design.
Airstream to unveil 'Land Yacht' Concept Trailer inspired by the luxury yachts

Crafted with quality materials and equipment throughout, including high-luster teak, white wood inlay boat-deck flooring and LED lighting panels, Corian solid surfaces, and plush Ultraleather; the 28’ Airstream Land Yacht Concept trailer boasts a contemporary look created by Technoform’s engineering department in partnership with the long-term designer for Riva Yachts, Mauro Micheli.

Sleek and sophisticated looking cabin unit which is capable to comfortably accommodate up to 5 people, features a bedroom in the front, a bathroom amidships and a rear social space, which includes a galley that can be hidden when not in use.

Notably, the Land Yacht Concept impressively represents Airstream’s latest effort to stretch the brand and its perceptions of what their trailer can actually be.

Notably, Airstream is the preferred choice of the Hollywood celebrities for its luxury caravans. Many of the famous celebs own Airstream trailers, including acclaimed American actor Matthew McCanaughey who’s renowned for his love for caravans, and owns 3 in total. The actor recently bought himself a luxury mobile home, the 2010 Airstream ‘Timeless’ model with Smithsonian interiors renovated by New York’s GSM vehicles.

SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I'm still waiting for the Sovereign to come back. OK, I'm a Canadian, and most of us like royalty!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
They offer the nicest, cleanest interior designs in the trailer business. They know what sells and have plenty of iconic names to play with. And they do.

Land Yacht is an exciting name bringing up images of luxury boats to those who seek exclusive toys. We are becoming a country of the rich and everyone else, and the few and fabulous will love them.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
They offer the nicest, cleanest interior designs in the trailer business.
They eventually get there, but they usually run about ten years behind the style scene in furniture.

For example, when mainstream furniture went into a sort of Danish Modern style in the late '60s into the early '70s, AS was still putting flowers on their upholstery fabric like your grandmother did in that time period. And for years after that, I might add.

The sleek metallic look they are finally moving to has been around for easily 10 years.

But happily, when it comes to style, not only does everyone have an opinion, but it seems that it was men buying the trailers then, and they were more into how many people they could sleep in one, and which hitch to buy.

It still surprises me that they don't offer an assortment of different upholstery fabrics. They could make a fortune on the upgrades, and give the style-conscious set some input into what the TT looked like inside...
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote