Old 12-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Not sure if I should be doing this but......

http://info.airstream.com/Portals/14...iler_Small.pdf
Now it's more confusing. The brochure shows a "Flying Cloud 20 Bambi?" Funny stuff. I sense a bit of confusion possible.

Like some others mentioned, I think of Bambi as a 16-foot trailer. I wouldn't think the naming scheme would really be that hard. Who knew?

The web site doesn't really match the brochure then.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I'm still confused that Airstream got rid of 16' Bambis in uplevel International or CCD trims like Bruce's fabulous trailer. And they got rid of the 23' L-lounge floor plan that we own (and love). Oh well...

I also agree that calling a 22' trailer "Bambi" seems (literally) like a stretch.

Tom

Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Here's the link and article to the 2013 "Land Yacht Concept Trailer" that debut at the recent RV show in L'ville, with a nautical theme. It will be interesting to see if they make any of these. Nice concept though.

Makers of the iconic ‘silver bullet’ travel trailers like the Next-gen Series 2 International 684 Caravan, the classic 1954 Airstream caravan, the Victorinox Special Edition Airstream, and the 2011 Eddie Bauer Airstream travel trailer, Airstream which is also the longest-tenured recreational vehicle manufacturer in North America will now unveil its newest luxury concept trailer, the ‘Airstream Land Yacht’, during the National RV Trade Show in Louisville, on Nov. 27-19th. This Land Yacht which boasts truly yacht-like interiors and incorporates elements from the world’s finest luxury watercrafts is actually the product of an international collaboration between Airstream, the maker of fine cabinetry Technoform S.p.A and the design studio of Officinia Italiana Design.
Airstream to unveil 'Land Yacht' Concept Trailer inspired by the luxury yachts

Crafted with quality materials and equipment throughout, including high-luster teak, white wood inlay boat-deck flooring and LED lighting panels, Corian solid surfaces, and plush Ultraleather; the 28’ Airstream Land Yacht Concept trailer boasts a contemporary look created by Technoform’s engineering department in partnership with the long-term designer for Riva Yachts, Mauro Micheli.

Sleek and sophisticated looking cabin unit which is capable to comfortably accommodate up to 5 people, features a bedroom in the front, a bathroom amidships and a rear social space, which includes a galley that can be hidden when not in use.

Notably, the Land Yacht Concept impressively represents Airstream’s latest effort to stretch the brand and its perceptions of what their trailer can actually be.

Notably, Airstream is the preferred choice of the Hollywood celebrities for its luxury caravans. Many of the famous celebs own Airstream trailers, including acclaimed American actor Matthew McCanaughey who’s renowned for his love for caravans, and owns 3 in total. The actor recently bought himself a luxury mobile home, the 2010 Airstream ‘Timeless’ model with Smithsonian interiors renovated by New York’s GSM vehicles.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I'm still waiting for the Sovereign to come back. OK, I'm a Canadian, and most of us like royalty!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
They offer the nicest, cleanest interior designs in the trailer business. They know what sells and have plenty of iconic names to play with. And they do.

Land Yacht is an exciting name bringing up images of luxury boats to those who seek exclusive toys. We are becoming a country of the rich and everyone else, and the few and fabulous will love them.

doug k
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
They offer the nicest, cleanest interior designs in the trailer business.
They eventually get there, but they usually run about ten years behind the style scene in furniture.

For example, when mainstream furniture went into a sort of Danish Modern style in the late '60s into the early '70s, AS was still putting flowers on their upholstery fabric like your grandmother did in that time period. And for years after that, I might add.

The sleek metallic look they are finally moving to has been around for easily 10 years.

But happily, when it comes to style, not only does everyone have an opinion, but it seems that it was men buying the trailers then, and they were more into how many people they could sleep in one, and which hitch to buy.

It still surprises me that they don't offer an assortment of different upholstery fabrics. They could make a fortune on the upgrades, and give the style-conscious set some input into what the TT looked like inside...
Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There is actually long term marketing brilliance going on here. The same outrage occurred in the auto industry several times. When they come back, in a long term strategy, it causes a buzz which extends across the entire brand.....

Camaro
Malibu
Caprice

What if some came back when the company still retains trademark rights?

Chevelle
Monza
Nomad
Belaire

Like wine, sometimes you let it go for and "aged" reintroduction.

(and in my twisted world, I like things like Corvair and Spider turbo. I think the time is right for an new ROBUST killer Corvair off the Solstice/Sky platform. THAT'S Bold, and also why I'll never run the company!)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I think the new Land Yacht is a move in the right design direction, but it is primarily a superficial "decoration" (skins) effort more than anything fundamental. I like the ultra-contemporary and sleek design aesthetic, and I hope they keep moving in that direction. The CCD was a kind of start, and this Italian Job keeps up the momentum.

And yes, they really DO need a broader selection of fabrics and flooring. It's quite limited.

I hope the annual production of trailers is still on the rise. Does anyone know?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Re the Bambi, that current brochure clearly mentions at the bottom of the model listing page that ALL single axle trailers are referred to as Bambi's, with some added info about 50 years with that model name...

The first picture of the Land yacht model, 'floated' at the Kentucky RV show sure was taken with a strange perspective - till you figure out that there is a full length mirror on the right - pulling back to show the foreground 'border' of the mirror would sure have helped explain that view, IMHO...

I don't think there's much danger of our old 'Ambassador' model being reissued... Just as well, as I'd hate having our oldie being mistaken for a 'new' rig - yeah, right!

Keep dry, warm & safe out there during this holiday season...
Ray & Patricia
Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Good catch on the mirror shot. I thought it looked a little out of wack but could not figure out why. The perspective was just not right.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Recycled Names

I have absolutely no problem with the recycled names, think it's a good idea in most cases but in the cases of "Bambi", no way I can see it as being 22' long. Readily admit I'm biased about all 16' of it..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05057.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	174495  
Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Not sure when but at some point Airstream started calling all single axle trailers Bambi models.
That has been my understanding as well - for several years now.

Quote:
Now it's more confusing. The brochure shows a "Flying Cloud 20 Bambi?" Funny stuff. I sense a bit of confusion possible.
Mstephens ? ... not funny or confusing for me ... single axle, with Flying Cloud trim level, and ~ 20 feet long ... how is that confusing?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #27
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
official name change

There is a pro NBA'r whose legal name is "World Peace." So I think ALL of the a/s that leak should be renamed "Edsel." All the ones with filiform "Spyder Veins." I am sure there are others...btw land yacht conjures up conestoga wagons or oversized mid 70's sedans.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The Land Yacht concept trailer is a custom-fitted 27 FB shell? Perhaps an Eddie Bauer replacement when that contract expires with EB.

With the EB rear hatch engineering/production already in place, maybe that's a way to continue this popular feature in a pricey offering. How could the model sailboat/aircraft hobby guys resist it?

doug k