Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Apple iWeb is gone...and so is my blog!

I have a love/hate relationship with Apple sometimes. Love my Macs but...just when I get used to something...like iWeb, they discontinue it and I have to learn something new! Darn! I've spent the better part of two days trying to switch over to Wordpress. I think I finally got the hang of it though!

Anyway, for anyone looking for camping sites in Oregon, here are my photos of the campgrounds that we've visited:

The Small Small Trailer | Weekend adventures in our 16 ft. Airstream Bambi

In iWeb I never did figure out how to link to other blogs, but on wordpress I can. Does anyone else out there have travel blogs that show campgrounds from other states that I can link to?

Someday I would love to pull our trailer farther than a couple of hours from our front door

Kim

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Kim, everything should be up in the cloud. Sometimes to much is up there and you have to get rid of some of it. Somehow my wife's account linked with mine and I was getting all of her apps etc. I feel your frustration though. Just when you feel comfortable with a format it changes. We've always been mac users so I can't speak for other platforms but I've heard some real horror stories about information and virus problems that we almost never have to deal with with Apple. Just remember as soon as you learn this one they will change it as well. Keeps you on your toes.

Dan
Old 06-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Hi Kim — the blog looks great, and your photography is amazing! I'm having a great time going through your site. I love that campsite you're in with the stone fireplace!

We just started a blog about a month ago — nearly a year after we started full-timing, though I had intended to get it up at the beginning. There are a recent few campground reviews so far, and I intend to go back and add in the rest (someday—when I have time—yeah right!) bit by bit. It's so hard to keep it up! About a month in, and I'm already behind! But here it is: http://captainslog-.us
Old 06-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Kim, thanks for all of the effort. Your blog is lovely - helps build up my dream of an Oregon vacation with a rented Sprinter moho...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Dan, I don't think my blog was actually on the iCloud, but could be wrong! I don't think iWeb and mobileme were compatible with the iCloud from what I could see. I'm a novice with web stuff though. Wordpress ended up being easy, and I just copied and pasted from my apple blog. I do love the Mac platform, just takes some figuring out!

Kerri, your blog looks wonderful! I'm going to sit down and read through it tonight. We would love to be able to full-time someday. Your adventures are inspiring!

And, Tom....would LOVE to visit the east coast with our AS! It would just take so long to drive there My folks live in Rapid City and we'd love to pull the Bambi back to the Black Hills where they live to camp..our entire vacation would be taken just driving back and forth though! It's painful to drive under 60 when you're trying to get somewhere in a limited amount of time!

The Small Small Trailer
Old 06-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
When Apple decided to move from MobileMe to iCloud, they also decided not to support iWeb anymore. I used iWeb when I first started blogging but decided to move to Wordpress last December when I knew iWeb was on it's last leg. It was a pain to move everything over but my husband who is quite the techie figured it out--bless him! I like some features of Wordpress and the ease of it but I do miss the more artistic features iWeb had.

We just got our Airstream last August and have been out only a few times since bringing it home (it went into storage the first of October and came out the middle of May, so not much time to get out). I do have a couple campground references in my blog that you are welcome to link to: Camping | The Pongo Experience. I am super excited as we are heading up to camp at Savage River in Denali National Park next weekend so I will be sure to post lots of pictures.
RedDogBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
PS. Your blog is absolutely lovely! You take some amazing pictures of your very cute Bambi, in very beautiful settings. Thanks for sharing.
RedDogBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Milwaukie , Oregon
A blog from Alaska...now that will be fun to follow. Another place on my "hope to visit" list! Your photos are wonderful...looking forward to seeing pictures from Denali!

The Small Small Trailer
Old 06-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
YOU CAN STILL USE IWEB IF YOU WANT. You just have to get hosting from somewhere like Dreamhost. Then you conform iWeb to upload it to the other hosting instead of the idisk.
I did not want to use wordpress because it was too restrictive and I loved iweb, so now I still build and maintain all my sites on iweb.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Milwaukie , Oregon
I loved iWeb, too, it looked nice and it was so easy to use. I knew that you could use another hosting site, but I didn't understand that you could still continue to publish through the iWeb program...darn! Have you tried using iWeb since you switched servers to Dreamhost?

The Small Small Trailer
Old 06-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Kim, lovely blog. The Mobileme was a subscription service that I think was a bad idea. Nobody wanted to pay, I think it was 99 yr. I assumed when they changed platforms the switch was automatic. I had no problems. But I had backups so maybe that is where the cloud loaded. I don't know.

I've always used Apple products but have been upset with their proprietory dealings at times Some have worked out well though and in hindsight I can now support them. Keep those Blogs coming and we'll keep reading them.

Dan
Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmog View Post
I loved iWeb, too, it looked nice and it was so easy to use. I knew that you could use another hosting site, but I didn't understand that you could still continue to publish through the iWeb program...darn! Have you tried using iWeb since you switched servers to Dreamhost?
Yep, it works great, just as easy to publish as it was to the iDisk as long as you have the last version of iWeb (09 I think). Shared hosting is pretty cheap and you an have as many sites as you want. I love it. I did not want to deal with wordpress, and I was learning Freeway until I found out I could still use iWeb.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote