Old 04-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
San Rafael , California
Anyone traveling East from CA?

Greetings. I'm driving my 35ft. Classic Motorhome from CA to NC, currently in Bakersfield and leaving Tuesday. You may be asking yourself, if she's in Bakersfield, why is she waiting 'til Tuesday to leave?. Nothing against Bakersfield. I'm in the process of moving from northern CA back to Asheville NC, 'parted ways' with my travel companion today, and am waiting for the winds around Tehachapi to die down; Tuesday's the 'predicted' date. I'll be taking I-40 with short excursions onto Old Rt. 66 for grins and photos, driving slow in short spurts as I have two Siberian Huskies on board, and I'm solo. Plus Sheila the RV is an '86 so we just put it on 'cruise'.
So maybe I cross paths with someone, maybe there's a hello, or recommended RV park/campground (I use the directory/Harvest Hosts/internet which is really more than sufficient, always nice to get recommendations though).
Thanks~ Happy Spring!

sundog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Traveled from Santa Fe to north Ga along I-40 last Spt. Amarillo Ranch RV Park in Amarillo, alongside I-40 was a nice stop. The park has an indoor pool, hot tub and sauna. It seems Oklahoma has very few rv parks. We stayed just outside of Checotah, OK at the Checotah Lake Eufaula West KOA. Clean simple park that serves meals.
The best park was Tom Sawyers RV Park in West Memphis, AK. The park is located inside the levee on the Mississippi River. The best sites are located along the river. The bath house was a bit plain, but clean. The day we left we stopped at the TN/Memphis Welcome Center, parked our rig (no charge) and rode the trolley into the historic area of Memphis. At lunch time we ate at the Blues City Cafe. Leaving after an early lunch we arrived in Nashville late afternoon and stayed at the Two Rivers campground near the Opryland Hotel. There is a shuttle service that offers roundtrip service from the campground to the music and dining area in downtown Nashville.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Campground recommendations, I-40, Arizona & New Mexico:

* Three KOAs near Flagstaff, AZ:

* Bluewater State Park, NM:

Note regarding Page/Lake Powell travel (from I-40): US 89 is closed north of Bitter Springs and south of Page, due to a landslide, last February. While US 89 remains closed indefinitely, the current primary detour is to take US 160 through Tuba City to SR 98 toward Page, which is approximately 45 miles longer than the direct route. Alternately, you can take US 89A north to Marble Canyon toward Fredonia to reconnect to US 89 in Kanab, Utah. Routes to the Grand Canyon are unaffected.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote