Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Doug mentioned the Voyager in Tucson. I stayed there a couple months two winters ago, and then spent a couple months across town at Rincon West. Rincon is similar to Voyager in cost and amenities. Each place has enough slight differences to say that one has advantages over the other. A person really needs to look at and stay at both to see which is a better fit. If you buy a "park model" they are really very affordable, and the annual fee is around $5K. For me, the major advantage of that part of the country is a virtual guarantee of nice weather all winter long. I'll be at Rincon again this winter. I will look again this winter at buying a place there. I could see making it my winter home, and taking the trailer up to Colorado for the summer/fall months.
This Rincon place looks interesting. We have been to Tucson the past two winters (stayed in Lazy Days) but only for a couple weeks at a time. This year I think we might stay a bit longer..... always good to look at options.
Thanks for the tip

Cheers
Doug
Old 10-25-2015, 01:19 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
So if you went an RV spot for 3 or 4 months you have to pay electricity extra. How much is the typical monthly bill? I would imagine you would need to run the AC a lot even in the winter. Looks like the rates at Rincon are a little better than Voyager. 5 month Rincon rate comes out roughly $20/day. Is it easy to get bored down there? I would think you'd be taking off trying to find stuff to do.

Park home rentals are too expensive during the winter months for us and you'd have to store the Airstream.

Kelvin
Old 10-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Kelvin, we sign up at Voyager RV Resort near Tucson for the "early bird" rate in spring and pay it in the fall, runs about $16.50 day for six months, about $3,000. There is no tax. We pay electric ($50 to $75 month) and internet ($39 month). Everything is walking distance, very little truck fuel. We don't use a full six months but the first and last months are cheap, $200 per month, so we do it and that gives us great flexibility to come and go as we want.

We reserve and park our Airstream anywhere there is an open space, right now directly across the post office, library, ballroom, silversmith, woodworking, wood carving and glass hobby shops, pool and card rooms. Tennis, shuffleboard, pickleball, volleyball, horseshoe, water volleyball, two lap pools, two hot tubs, sauna, shower rooms, are within this activity area. Several meeting, game, and activity rooms. Restaurant, bar, and store. Par three golf down the street. Softball field and dog run beyond that. All within easy walk.

And you wonder what we do? Dances and and live entertainment several nights a week in the ballroom, coffee, donuts free and gossip Sat morning and church service Sun morning in the ballroom. Our group has a campfire, singalong with guitars, and small potluck a couple nights a week. The bike trail just outside the park takes you all the way to Downtown Tucson and the college area, or we're at desert's edge for a few organized trail cycle rides and others throughout the city.
Or bike or walk throughout the park, speed limit 5 mph for cars and golf carts. Hiking, biking, photo clubs and more if you want, church, concert and fun choirs and bands, guitar groups, native American flute, annual resident play production. Bored yet? The park manager rides motorcycle, and likes to lead a group of residents on a bike ride now and then.

Gate guard in at entrance, wall all around, we should start locking our door though not sure why. Hwy 10 Interstate 1/4 mile away and we are out of the city, but near if you need anything. Grandkids and family welcome to visit and use facilities with you, but that happens mostly at Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. Still bored, Arizona has much to see and most of us take several trips during the season. Grand Canyon and Sedona area are favorites, Kirchner Caverns, Tombstone, the mountains. It's a good retirement lifestyle, do as much of it as you want and do your own thing as you want.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
So if you went an RV spot for 3 or 4 months you have to pay electricity extra. How much is the typical monthly bill? I would imagine you would need to run the AC a lot even in the winter. Looks like the rates at Rincon are a little better than Voyager. 5 month Rincon rate comes out roughly $20/day. Is it easy to get bored down there? I would think you'd be taking off trying to find stuff to do.

Park home rentals are too expensive during the winter months for us and you'd have to store the Airstream.

Kelvin
Hi Kelvin:

We had the same fear as you have mentioned about getting bored. In the last 4 years we have spent 3-months each winter in the south and have not gotten bored yet.
That said, we don't normally stay in one place more than about 2-4 weeks. Then move on to a different location. We have met many people who stay in the same place for 3-6 months, but for us (with the AS) we want to see the country a bit so moving is more to our liking at this point in time.

As we get older that very well might change and if it does, then I guess we will just move less and stay longer....

Cheers
Doug
Old 10-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Voyager has been there 30 years so has well established residential activities and all are encouraged and welcome to join in. It's a great value. There are many such resorts in AZ and other states as well. Rincon at Tucson is mentioned. Gold Canyon near Apache Junction, Palm Creek at Casa Grande is gorgeous, nice golf course.

Park models can be purchased or rented at Voyager, I've seen funished park models sold for $5,000 to $35,000 (don't be afraid to make an offer), you pay annual site rent abut $5,000. New prefab homes $120,000 range, and there is a section within this gated resort of stick built homes where you own home and land, pay city taxes which aren't bad.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:53 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
As Doug pointed out in his post just above where he listed literally just "some" of the activities available.....I would add, if you're bored at these places, it's your own fault ! There's multiple activities for really any interest.
Mostly, I relax, I read a lot, and I ride my bicycle for exercise daily, and take very long walks with my dog.
As to electricity, yes, at Rincon West it is metered, my monthly bill was usually around $40. I don't think I ever ran the air conditioning. Usually the mornings are cool ( upper thirties to lower forties ) so a little bit of electric heat first thing in the AM. Days warm quickly in the desert. By ten AM or so, I was opening up the trailer, and afternoon highs were usually in the 70's, so no real need for A/C. I spend most of the day outside anyway.
I use Verizon cell internet, which is around $60/month, and Dish sat television which is around $70/month.

Fair warning though about Rincon West, it is situated roughly between Davis-Monthan AFB and TIA. VERY common is to have formations of F-16 fighters coming overhead. That's an active wing out of D-M, and the guys and gals spend a fair bit of time doing formation touch-and-goes on the parallel runways of TIA. Some folks don't like the noise. For me, it's a non-issue. I like seeing and hearing these fine pilots up there maintaining proficiency. Other folks won't see it the same as I do.

....this according to a "slow-moving" poster here on the forum.... ( thanks )
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
That's the great thing about having an Airstream or RV. You can come and go as you want, stay at the parks or wander. We pay the semi-annual fee and we are still free to go at will. Anywhere you want. We're looking at a week in Hawaii possibly this winter, she wants to do the European river boat thing some spring season.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
This is a very pertinent topic for us. Right now we're wanting to travel the country (that's why we have a recreational VEHICLE), but the day will come when we will want to slow down. After we've visited an area we talk about whether we want to come back some day for another visit and whether it should be considered as a possible base. We'll probably check out some of the places mentioned in this thread as we visit those areas just to see what they're like.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:04 AM   #49
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post

Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.

We are not on the "WBCCI" server, so the link should work.

Full hookups are only $15 per night if you decide to stay for a week or so. You need not be a WBCCI member to stay at the park - the only requirement is an Airstream product.

TAHI is a non-profit organization, and relies on volunteer labor to keep costs at a minimum. Lots start at 1500 dollars. Annual (not monthly) assessments are only $400 - that's per YEAR.

TAHI is a secure gated community - lots of road and park area to ride bikes on. Birding is second to none in Texas. We are right on the shore of Lake Sam Rayburn, so most any type of fishing is available almost from your parking spot.

TAHI (Texas Airstream Harbor) is a couple of hours north of Houston, so plenty of medical and entertainment are close at hand. Lufkin, Texas (more than 33,000 population) is only a half hour drive away.

It is possible to purchase an existing "cabanna" (usually a 12' X 20' room) with an attached cover for the Airstream for a minimal price - depending on availability. Yearly assessments at this time are only $400 per year. The assessment covers pretty much everything except for phone and electricity. The real benefit of a cabanna is the ability to leave your winter "things" in a secure, locked environment while you travel to cooler climes in the summer.

PM if you have any questions.
We just returned from a short trip to TAHI and had a very pleasant experience. (thank you Dennis and Mary for the invite and hospitality!)
The people were great and the lakeside location just beautiful.
Make it your stop and check it out next time you are in the area.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
TAHI sounds interesting. A visit someday is on the list. Another interesting concept I read about here a while back was the folks who bought a little patch of land in the southeast...where local regulations were not an issue. They built a dandy pavilion for their Airstream and patio area plus storage building in the same structure. This was a pole building/pavilion with nice outside covered area. They had utilities and septic for outdoor kitchen and laundry area and "lived" in the RV but mostly spent time outside.
This just looked affordable and comfortable. I think one could do this up north AND in a warm climate ... and travel around the Country in between staying at the bases. I am thinking maybe 25000 dollars tops for each place including land and utilities with some of your own labor. I wouldn't mind some landowner maintenance each year. I'm just weary of the big old home projects that seem to get in the way of travel. This concept might be for those like me who are not looking for lots of amenities and activities. (and a limited budget). Still working...but thinking a lot about the freedom many of you are now enjoying. You are our inspiration so keep contributing to these threads. There are many of us who enjoy the dream.
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Thanks for this thread - I'm getting the AVION ready to be a "mobile retirement villa" placed semi-permanently on a pad, possibly with a "casita" or at least a roof to keep the southern sun off, and use the EB for more frequent travel.

Some of these locations that are NOT Airstream Only may be very handy. Too bad Eastern Texas is Airstream Only since that would be close to ideal locale for me.

I'll just keep looking. I like the SW desert for short terms, but a little less desert for a base. Keep the info coming people.

Paula
Old 11-19-2015, 12:07 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvstreamer View Post
TAHI sounds interesting. A visit someday is on the list. Another interesting concept I read about here a while back was the folks who bought a little patch of land in the southeast...where local regulations were not an issue. They built a dandy pavilion for their Airstream and patio area plus storage building in the same structure. This was a pole building/pavilion with nice outside covered area. They had utilities and septic for outdoor kitchen and laundry area and "lived" in the RV but mostly spent time outside.
Dave
How about buying a piece of land in the country, building an RV garage with living quarters. I'd want something on one level. Comfortable enough for the winters then travel during the rest of the year. Have no idea how much that would cost.

Kelvin
Old 11-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I was browsing RVTrader and clicked on the Park Models section. Some of those units are very nice and have a loft for when you have a guest.

Here is an example
http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Inst...tage-111289902

Hmm, wondering if we could purchase a view acres somewhere, use a park model with an adjacent structure to store the Airstream. Just use it when we want to winter down.

I guess these types of units would depreciate unlike a house but you maybe wouldn't be subject to the same taxes if you built a small home. The value of the land would go up over the years and could be left to a beneficiary.

I also don't see any laundry rooms in these units, not even a stackable you see in some Class As.

Kelvin
Old 11-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Look at The North Texas Airstream Community or 'N-TAC'.

http://ntaci.com

You can have anything from a bare lot with 3-point hook-ups to a 2500+ sq. ft. brick home with Airstream RV port & garage. It's an Airstream only community & WBCCI membership is required. Yearly maint. fees are $750.- per share. Each share is 'tied' to a lot.

My wife & I retired and came to NTAC a few years ago. We purchased a villa with 950 sq. ft. living space, 2 B/R, 2 bath. The Airstream, TV, & car are all under cover. Our thinking was that we would eventually buy some land and build our 'dream' retirement cabin/home. We have since bought the land and recently sold it. Our temporary retirement stop, NTAC, is now our home. We'll be here until…

NTAC is not for everyone but we have found it to be a good balance between security, esp. when traveling, amenities, activities, community, & costs. There are 24 full hook-up sites that any Airstreamer can stay on, fees are nominal.

There is also a program for Airstreamers to rent/lease a lot for a few months.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I've seen a couple of photos of these Airstream parks. The buildings on the lots seem to be metal buildings, the Airstream is covered with an attached structure. What are the interiors like inside? Do you have any photos to post?

Kelvin
Old 11-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #56
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I've seen a couple of photos of these Airstream parks. The buildings on the lots seem to be metal buildings, the Airstream is covered with an attached structure. What are the interiors like inside? Do you have any photos to post?

Kelvin
Sorry, I did not take any pictures of the insides when we visited TAHI, but I can tell you that the metal buildings are extremely deceiving. We visited a couple of those buildings, they are limited to 900 sqf, but we were blown away by what people have done. I always thought that our friends Dennis and Mary were building a "weekend type" cottage, but I was so wrong. A full Kitchen with top of the line appliances and granite counter tops, hardwood flooring throughout and spacious bathroom with a huge walk in shower, all nicely fitted into the 900 sqf allowed. Its all up to your own vision what you do with your space.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Boulder City, Nevada... close, but far away from crowds

Boulder City, Nevada... the small town for the mobile retired couple.

As you drive north to Las Vegas across the new arched bridge over the Colorado River, you will be driving past the northeast edge of Boulder City. Just the history of HOW this town became a town and the unusual ownership of vacant property is a story in itself.

Electricity comes directly from Boulder/Hoover Dam. Water comes directly from Lake Meade and the Colorado River. The wind... well California provides an ample supply each and every day.

The homes built in the last 25 to 30 years seem to have the recreational vehicle or boat or both in mind. There are many homes with the large RV garage attached or unattached to their home for a trailer or RV bus. Just finding one for sale that compliments your taste in interior construction takes time.

Some homes have the RV "port" or... "side access nation" with a roof. With annual precipitation at 4 inches, but sunshine 95% of the time... it is an area to check out. We did... and built new, since we are not into the marble floors and Roman pillar interiors of some older homes presently being sold for very reasonable prices.

Las Vegas in just a "glow" over the mountain range to my East. Once the Interstate bypasses Boulder City in the near future... it will be a sleepy destination for those who know where to stay outside Las Vegas.

This is part of the Mohave Desert. You would not know it when during the Winter months, but will in July. A great compromise from the northern latitudes. We look forward for any rain... and if there is anything three inches deep on OUR driveway... it is the newspaper.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #58
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Texas Airstream Harbor is a wonderful place!

We just spent New Years Eve at Texas Airstream Harbor and had a wonderful time. Made new friends and was helped with a problem we had.We will be going back!
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote