Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Sovereign
Monterey Bay, CA , California
Anyone familiar with Optima batteries?

I am the proud new owner of a 1984 31ft Sovereign. In the search for the best battery option I'm leaning towards the Optima Brand. Anyone familiar with these, and if so, do you recommend the blue or yellow model?

Thanks,
Lisa
LisaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I use the Blue 34 series. Personally no problems and I use a new 9500 converter. Some folks have had problems with the Optimas since they started making them in Mexico.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
There are some that are good. My father buys loads of batteries for generators and other equipment and has for many years. One of the things he has shared is that most Johnson Control batts are best. What is interesting is that they make batteries for many companies but their name is usually somewhere on the casing. They make some of the optimas also check out the AGM batts that Sams is now carrying.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Car forums report a number of problems with Optimas so they are not a perfect solution. The Optima specs say the blue is not warranted for deep cycle operation; the specs also indicate more capacity in the yellow.
Probably the best battery you can get is the Odyssey. I have heard that the Sears Platinum is the same battery.
Aside from all of that the Lifeline AGM that AS uses for the solar option is an excellent battery with a good reputation.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I had Optima's in our 34' and they did not perform well for me. They only lasted two years before they wouldn't hold a charge. On had to be replaced before that time frame due to a cell failure (it was replaced under warranty) I still have them in my cars/truck, but have switched to Lifeline in the trailer. Yes, I do have a properly matched Iota charger in the trailer. They should not have failed as soon as they did.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I had three of the blue tops on my sailboat. I bought them before I did adequate battery research. The Optima Blue Top is a dual-purpose battery that has a place if you need one battery that will work as an engine start battery and a deep cycle battery. So if you are only after a power storage battery for a travel trailer, I don't think the Optima is your best buy. If you look at the specs on the Optima and compare with other non-dual purpose AGM batteries you will find that the Optima does not offer near the power storage capability of other AGM's with a similar price tag. My memory is that you get close to double the amp hour capacity for less money when buying one Universal AGM vs. buying one Optima Blue Top batteries. Take a look at Universal AGM Batteries and compare those specs to the Optima website.

I have Universal AGM batteries, from Best Converter, in the AS now. I have switched two the three batteries in my sailboat to the Universal AGM's. I am very happy with the Universal AGM's from Best Converter. I have no association with Best Converter… just a happy customer.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I followed Lewsters advise when it came time to up-grade....no regrets.

Bob
Old 12-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
A good comparison…maybe

On one Airstream I have a 34 series Optima. It is a replacement because of an acid leak from around the positive post. It was five years old. I replaced it with the new 34 series.
On another Airstream I have a Lifeline. six years old and going strong.
On another Airstream I went with a "racing Car" Odyessy …very small, but higher AMP hours than other AGM types. It is two years old and works perfectly.
I don't make a big deal out of batteries….they work or don't.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have a couple of the yellow Optima's in our trailer and so far they have been fine. I've only had them maybe three years though.

We don't use our trailer a whole lot and so when we take our trailer to the storage yard I always remove the batteries and bring them home. I check the voltage now and then and put a charger on once in a while.

One of the advantages of them (and I think all AGM batts,) is that compared to conventional batteries the self-discharge rate is supposed to be very low. I think Optima claim they will hold their charge up to a year. I do check the voltage now and then with a digital meter when ours are at home in the garage and the voltage does hold up very well.

I did notice however that whereas I bought the Optimas at our local Costco, they no longer carry them, at least at our Costco store.

Wonder why. Maybe there were problems, or maybe due to the considerably higher cost, they just were not selling well compared to regular lead-acid batteries.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-...ttery/20531538
Lisa, unless you are setting up a solar system; if just buying coach batteries, I would recommend a deep cycle marine battery. I replaced my coach batteries this summer. I shopped and got Walmart Deep Cycle label MAXX Marine 24(Johnson Controls) not the plain EVERSTART for about $95 each. They have a two year replacement guarantee and are essentially a die hard I believe gold. The only thing is you do have to add battery fluid check to your maintenance list- just make sure that the electrolyte is at the bottom of the level tab inside each cell every couple months or so. You can pay more and get an AGM battery technology but with a trailer you are interested not in crank power (CCA) but in amp hours- higher the better. Most batteries are about two years to dead or substantially spent at that point - some get a year or so more. AGM Last longer but you pay more and in our application for higher amp hours are VERY expensive.

As I mentioned, Johnson Controls is a good battery company; however, they are only one of five or so companies that make ALL batteries available. I would mention my father's woes with a contract they had and failure rate with a premium battery company out there in replacement batteries but no war today. Needless to say they work with just a few companies now and JC is one they have very low failure rate.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Ditto on Johnson Controls batteries. I buy mine from NAPA. I was a fan of Optimas until they moved the production to Mexico and two in a row failed.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:15 AM   #12
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
I'd consider something that has a wide network of support. Something along the AGM style would be best. Consider Sams Club, Sears, AutoZone....if you ever need to replace it under warranty it's easy to find a store.
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Optima are OK but IMHO, are nothing special. One problem with Optimas is their relatively low amp/hour rating. They are essentially a group 24 size battery (typically 80 amp hour capacity) but are only rated at 55 Amp/hours. For a two battery system, this gives you a total of 110 amp/hours with the Optimas vs. 160 amp/hours for a standard group 24 battery bank.

As far as warranty issues, (you knew that a plug was coming!) Lifelines have a 5 year pro-rated replacement warranty and if properly charged, should last you at least 5-7 years. As I have previously stated, I have several clients that are entering their 9th and 10th years with their Lifelines, and they are still above 90% capacity. More expensive......yes! But over the long haul.......you get what you pay for!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Lifelines have a 5 year pro-rated replacement warranty and if properly charged, should last you at least 5-7 years.
Absolutely. Lifelines are good but pricey. Consider this though- Almost 5x the cost $285/Class 24, 12 mth full replacement warranty, five year pro rated warranty, 80 AH.

JC Maxx (Walmart) $94, Two year full replacement guarantee, 92AH
Old 01-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Absolutely. Lifelines are good but pricey. Consider this though- Almost 5x the cost $285/Class 24, 12 mth full replacement warranty, five year pro rated warranty, 80 AH.

JC Maxx (Walmart) $94, Two year full replacement guarantee, 92AH
That's OK, they are cheap for a reason. NO ONE gives away resources like lead, just like there are no bargains on gold purchases. Do you have any data on how many of these (more than likely Chinese batteries, like just about everything else from Wal*Mart) have actually lasted more than 2 years.

I see many folks buying batteries there and simple returning them just prior to the expiration of the warranty for replacement after they have failed. Lifelines are expensive because:

• they are built in the USA to the highest quality standards
• other that the lead, the separator materials are much higher quality and thicker than found in other AGM batteries (if they are found at all)
• Lifeline's workers are actually paid a living wage that allow them to be productive members of this country

Need any more reasons? To paraphrase a line from a famous movie: "CHEAP IS AS CHEAP DOES"
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Anyone familiar with Optima batteries?

I certainly agree that there are cheap products but consider too that performance and warranty comparison is key. Hyundai was considered a cheap choice at one time as was LG. Now look at their products overtaking other brands at various levels. Are there higher quality products? Absolutely. It is a consumer choice. Johnson Control makes some of those walmart batts and they are the same as particular other batts with a different branding. One of the diehards is the same batt for more $$$$ and I do not know all the variants but there are several.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
While I can't speak to current stock The Walmart battery in my "beater" truck is starting to show signs of failure. It is 8 years old.
I use Walmart batteries in my older diesel truck. After 4 years I would rotate them out as a maintenance item and use them several more years in my tractors. I have never has a walmart battery fail during the warranty period and at last count I had 13 automotive batteries in service.
The Exide golf cart batteries in my trailer will be 11 years old in june. They came from from sams club.

That being said, while I can see some advantages to AGM batteries I don't see any financial advantage to using them
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Exactly. Now when I purchased my Airstream it had walmart batteries that had a sticker showing replaced a month or so before I got it they failed a year and a half later. It they were the cheapest ones. So it is all about performance warranty and price. I would only buy AGM for an inside battery system due to the gassing potential leakage etc of other types but the application for me dictates particulars.