Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2018, 06:17 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Now that thing is just plain ugly.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:41 AM   #42
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
I’ve only owned two RVs so far - an ‘88 Bluebird Wanderlodge (high quality) and an ‘83 AS (ok quality). But I can say that when we are around other RVs at a campground or show or dealer, I would not consider owning 95% of them just on the basis of cheesy exterior graphics.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #43
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
May I suggest you check out Oliver, and other mounded fiberglass trailers. They may or may not fit your needs for comfort, but definitely do not look like a mobile home inside.

Another recommendation to look at an Ollie. The downside is they are just too small. The Elite II, their largest trailer is only 23’ from hitch to bumper. The coach is 18’+... if they were bigger, I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:14 AM   #44
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
The Internet lists the following as the 5 best ..... No Airstreams?

Grand Design Reflection Travel Trailer
Keystone Hideout Travel Trailer
Palomino Puma Travel Trailer
Heartland North Trail Travel Trailer
Jayco White Hawk Travel Trailer

The Oliver does come up in the search as a hit, but it really looks like a Clorox Bottle. Doubt it's what you want, but it's what a lot of people need.

Pat
Have you seen the construction of some of these trailers? When we were in one of our anti Airsream moods, we looked at several on your list. Needless to say, we are back to loving our Airstream.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:14 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
I can not recommend enough the option of finding a used AS and then making it your own. Consider the following advantages:
  • Not only will you save tons of $$, but
  • you will have a blast making it your very own, unique getaway. And,
  • you can easily end up with a trailer that is better in almost every way than what comes fresh from the factory.
  • And you will know your trailer inside and out.

The only downsides: I see two -- 1) it isn't "new" and 2)it will take time/money to get it where you really want it. (but wouldn't that be true even with new?)
I completely agree. Find the year, size and layout that you like. Find the best example of that model, then completely rebuild it with all the features you want. It will be better than a new Airstream and will be just the way you want it. It is certainly not easy, but it is very satisfying and you will be very proud of your one of a kind Airstream.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:42 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
I completely agree. Find the year, size and layout that you like. Find the best example of that model, then completely rebuild it with all the features you want. It will be better than a new Airstream and will be just the way you want it. It is certainly not easy, but it is very satisfying and you will be very proud of your one of a kind Airstream.

Dan
Thanks for sharing this with me Dan. As you know I couldn't agree more. That's exactly the route Phyllis and I are taking. We looked sincerely at new 30' Classics in 2017 and walked away realizing that we'd be better off to treat down our 1992 , 29' Excella Classic and rebuild her as modern as we possibly can. As you know the finished product is going to be a total custom build and I estimate my all in cost to be around 50k. We're doing 90 to 98 percent of the work ourselves, so that's a huge savings right there and I'll know this baby better than I know myself. BTW, I'll be posting out 5 frame flipping video any day. It's nearly ready for public consumption. It should only thin less than 10 minutes. [emoji16]. I'll let you know where to find it once it's uploaded.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:48 AM   #47
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Stop by and get a factory tour at Oliver. Great little trailer, and they will happily customize it for you. We wanted one, but it was too small for us. When they make one with a dedicated bedroom, we’ll be back for another visit. We loved the clean interior design ethic, btw. It’s a fiberglass trailer through and through, not some fiberglass shell with granny’s old cabinets stuck to the walls.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:34 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
We owned a Casita, then an Oliver prior to joining the Airstream community. Oliver’s quality and after sale service are beyond compare. The units just aren’t comfortable for an old guy like me. A lot of bending and stooping for everyday chores...even the fridge is at floor level. The furniture is all molded in so a lot of form over function.

We love our Classic 31.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

CLT , NC
Purchased a used 2015 Legacy Elite 2 hull # 75 during 2016. Always admired AS trailers, used to fly aluminum aircraft, now flying tube & fabric airplane.

The Ollie is a good fit for both of us. It's pleasant to camp in and the interior arrangement works fine for us.

Highest mileage day towing Ollie so far, 720 miles, we were in a hurry to get home with a hurricane approaching NC. Ollie is very stable towing. Our Ollie is one of the few that's equipped with 5200 pound Dexter axles, Oliver ran out of 3500 pound axles during construction so they installed two axles used on the single axle Ollie. Like the light truck 16" tires, too.

Only problems so far, had some exterior component leaks that were easy to fix, re-threaded two blind cords, installed 3" black tank valve, and replaced Maxxfan.

Intalled Dexter EZ flex system (now standard) and Micro-Air Easy Start AC system (trumpetguy idea).

We meet the nicest folks on the road :

Click image for larger version

Name:	trumpetguy.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	326254

Name:	IMG_2242-L.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	326255

Name:	IMG_1915-L.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	326256
Old 10-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Seattle , Washington
Exactly! We were just talking about this on our trip from Seattle to Moab and back. Just about every single one had those swooshy graphics that look like a 16-year-old from the 80's designed them. Why do they all look the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LY007 View Post
I would not consider owning 95% of them just on the basis of cheesy exterior graphics.
FarFetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFetched View Post
Exactly! We were just talking about this on our trip from Seattle to Moab and back. Just about every single one had those swooshy graphics that look like a 16-year-old from the 80's designed them. Why do they all look the same?
For me, the worst part is the cheesy wallpaper inside - especially on the window trim. They all seem to box the window frame, then wallpaper it. I really can't figure out why.
Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:14 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn T View Post
For me, the worst part is the cheesy wallpaper inside - especially on the window trim. They all seem to box the window frame, then wallpaper it. I really can't figure out why.
Because wallpaper is cheaper than quality woodwork
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFetched View Post
Apparently the cheesy graphics have completely saturated the very concept of a trailer, pic attached
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181027_094323.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	326402  
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
We went through literally hundreds of trailers before settling on our Airstream. Nothing came close except for super high end Class A motorhomes costing 6 figures and even those had cheap components where the AS did not. Creature comforts may have been close but for the money, the only thing sacrificed by going AS is actual living space and that's the cheapest thing on the list of requirements. My brother has twice the room in a Catalina for half the cost but it's a flimsy box with cheap furniture and fixtures that's quickly falling apart.
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
North East , Maryland
Ah, yes, been there...done that.
Our first TT (more than 20 years ago) was a 1976 23' AS Land Yacht that had seen better days. Fortunately, her running gear had not done much running and the body was in good shape. We used her lightly, did all our own updates (new drapes, upholstery, etc.) and sold her for more than we paid. We then went through our "boat" phase and bought good quality used fishing boats. We kept them well-maintained and when sold again we made money! Wow! We haven't been as lucky with the next phase. We got off the water and went back to a travel trailer. We purchased a 1 year old "other Thor product" that was very bright on the inside with white cabinetry and nicer appointments. However; that trailer de-laminated at 5 years old on our 1st cross country trip. So, while in Tucson, we traded it for another Thor product 5th wheel. This is a luxurious beast with 3 slides, huge kitchen and a master suite. Yes, the exterior graphics are ugly; but the inside is bright (not dark) and very comfy for long distance hauls. There is so much storage we have never used it all. Unfortunately, it is also more difficult to use. It doesn't fit in many State and National Parks, the electronics can be frustrating, and it depreciated quickly! So, in January 2018 we went back to an "old" AS. Currently we are still working on her repairs and upgrades; but looking forward to a debut in 2019. We like the simplicity of being able to get the replacement parts we need (not too old) and being able to update her to feel like our "home". The best part was we paid cash and all work is being done with cash. No loans! What a novel concept! So, yes we have had experience with the other brands; but you get what you pay for...sometimes! We will never buy "new" again.
Ladyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:42 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Gaithersburg , Maryland
I’ve been in a few of the retro brand trailers. Amish made interiors and look nice. They would be my second if I could not get an airstream
cstevecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billstream View Post
Hi, I have a question for those who have shopped other brands comparing to Airstream. I'm not asking about quality or value or towing or longevity in this thread, and I don't care if it's aluminum or whatever. I am asking about interior style and comfort. When we go into an Airstream, we feel like we are in high end condo. We like how it looks and how we feel when inside it. When I go in most TTs I feel like I am in a cheap tract home, or mobile home, and can't wait to get out of there.
In my RV shopping I was wondering if anyone had found anything out there worth checking out, other than Airstream, that had clean contemporary styling and/or had comfortable furnishings. So far I have found the Bowlus Road Chief, and that is about it. Anything worth checking out?

Our opinion....nope

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:53 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
About Our Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
I've looked at a lot and the only ones that have that same feel as Airstream are some of the custom renovations of older trailers. As far as durable and functional like said the Oliver and Bigfoot are good but IMHO not super comfortable. I don't consider the Airstream exactly real comfortable either.

ORV makes some decent units that are very comfortable and solid but still not as stylish and contemporary as AS. About the nicest two box type trailers we have looked at are Lance and Grand Design with Lance being quite nice, however no ducted AC. Grand Design is not really a lot better quality wise except for maybe their residential grade furniture and counter tops but their final inspections and after the sale support are touted to be the best in the business ( although if you call Bigfoot for support you get to talk to one of the owners). Grand Design also features really large, nice bathrooms.
It matters how large we are. I’m midsize (180-5’8”) and Nancy is very thin. Our 19-footer works for us. As does a “full” size (non-Queen) bed. If I were any larger, I know that we would need to go to a larger trailer to be comfortable. Yes, I am dieting. But, I’m guessing that, at 6-ft. or taller, a larger Airstream might be required to keep the campers happy. After owning an AS, I can’t imagine any other trailer, however. A Motorhome ... Possibly (?). D
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
I looked at the Oliver Legacy Elite II and had issues with the following:

1. No Nev-R-Lube bearings, so you have to repack the wheel bearings once per year. Big pain and expense.

2. The Dexter EZ Flex suspension has 8 grease points that have to be greased every 3000 miles, so sometimes you'll be greasing them while on the road. Crawling under the trailer that often in camp would not be fun.

3. Wet bath...repeat wet bath...

4. No ducted air.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #60
ntsbltsrvits

2015 27' FB International
2016 30' International
Eagle , Idaho
Great question...

I’ve had this conversation with friends and we always end up wondering why another RV or trailer company does not even attempt to be more contemporary in design and use of materials.
It’s always the same depressing interior. Lacking in windows and dark, cheesy vinyl that reminds me of my parents sofa in the 1970’s, ugly valance and mini blinds. Again...I’ve never seen any attempt to make an improvement.
I think there is a huge opportunity to make an effort and capture a significant market share from buyers that don’t want to spend the $$$ on Airstream.
Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote