Old 09-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
MooreHaven , Florida
We lived aboard for a bit over 20 years,35' sailboat,41' ketch& finaly a 40' Trawler. Mostly traveling Florida & The Bahamas with one trip north up the intercoastal to Chesapeak Bay and Washington.Worked and lived in the Bahamas on and off for most of 16 years.At age 80 decided we just werent using the boat enough to justify keeping it so we sold it a couple of years ago. Had a couple of Toyota motorhomes did a 14,000 mile trip to Alaska and back.Now we have a 24' Argosy that i was just out in the driveway working on installing the new axles.
What is it with these sailors,they get too old for 7kts so get a camper at 60mph

Old 09-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #58
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
We're planning on sailing to the Bahamas around the first of the year. We have a fair number of Bahamian friends, mostly Harbour Island and Cat Island. We'll probably sail up to Spanish Wells and get the bottom of our old catamaran painted this spring. We're in the Airstream another month, and then back to the islands. I've got about a month's work on the boat to get it ready, and then we'll sail until 2015 hurricane season, and back to Colorado and the Airstream. It's a tough life, but someone's gotta do it.

We like 7 knots, and 65 mph too. And we're pilots, so....100 knots is good if it's us and not the wind.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Gringo, I must admit that while the sunsets might not be as consistently beautiful, my nights in the Airstream are less broken by not having to get up and check the anchor when the wind shifts
We've put another 10k miles on the Airstream this year, and after the Balloon Fiesta and a week in Canyonlands, will wrap up the season until we close the house in Durango and tow to St Petersburg where we left JAMU, our Leopard 42. The float plan is for Key West, Dry Tortugas and Bahamas in 2015. Give us a hail if you see JAMU along the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boondocking in Nevada.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	222828   Click image for larger version

Name:	JAMU at Ft McRae.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	222829  

JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #60
one of those

2011 27 FB International
It's amazing how many cruisers we run into who are doing this. Not all of them with Airstreams, but quite a few with boats for the winter and homes in Colorado for storm season. Our house just happens to be at the other end, on Providenciales. We meet a constant stream of boaters coming through the Turks and Caicos every winter. But we keep scratching our heads and asking ourselves why we need the house at all. This year we're spending two months in the Trailer. Previous record was two weeks and change.

What part of the Bahamas are you planning to see?
Old 09-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #61

Currently Looking...
Lubbock , Texas
"This is me cruising around the Isthmus in my Millimeter and the boat farthest to the left is Unicorn our Peterson 44."

After I retired the wife and I spent a season at the Isthmus before we sailed to Mexico and started our nine year cruise. I was the friendly Harbor Patrolman who assigned you your mooring. The job didn't pay much but I also got a free mooring for my boat. Great memories of that place, Thanks for sharing the picture.

Bumper
Old 09-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We spent several years with fun, fast little Force Five. Then moved up to O'Day Day Sailer with our children. Sailing was fun but as the saying goes....
..."sailing filled with hours of boredom punctuated with random moments of sheer excitement & pleasure". Because of all the usual reasons-- the pleasure of being on the water, switched over to canoeing and kayaking for past 10-15 years. We love access to water- fresh mt. lakes, streams, rivers, bay & oceans!
Old 09-26-2014, 12:42 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
I grew up around freshwater boats, my dad had a 40 ft houseboat and we pulled a small ski boat behind it. It wasn't until I was 50 that I actually decided to learn how to sail. I studied two books religiously, went to a small local lake and rented a laser, fibbing about my experience. I went out of the lake and did everything; broad reach, beam reach, downwind, upwind. My only screw up was not knowing the most upwind point of the lake had a sort of wind shadow, so I got stuck, but the exhilaration of harnessing the power of nature had me grinning ear to ear. I became addicted.

Unfortunately, my mother-in-law was a hard core sailor, and when my wife was little, she went on a sailing trip out of the mouth of the Columbia River. It was a very bad experience for her, so she's not at all into sailing.

So I've been looking at kayak with a sail rig, one more fishing oriented, so I could sail when the wind was there, fish when it wasn't, and pedal or paddle home if need be. Something that would be comfortable in lakes and the Puget sound. I've yet to learn how to crab, but it's on my bucket list.

I wish I had learned how to sail earlier in life. Does the exhilaration ever wear off?
Old 09-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #64
one of those

2011 27 FB International
It sure hasn't worn off for us. Our old catamaran is like sailing a three bedroom, two bath cottage around. We love it. We bought it used two years ago, and our very first time to start the engines or hoist the sails was when we left the dock at Jax NAS and sailed a thousand miles to Providenciales. What a trip.

When we want to sail fast, we have a little Hobie Tandem Island kayak. It's a two person kayak, with Mirage Drives, outriggers (ama) and an 18 ft. carbon fiber mast. We've hit 11 knots with it several times. That might be a boat you would be interested in for your fishing, kayaking, sailing. I don't want to be a blog flogger, but there are lots of photos and videos of sailing the Hobie on ours if you want to see one in action.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #65
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
AIR Forums has a sailing sister site, www.cruisersforum.com

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Can't believe I just found this thread.
I grew up sailing on the Great Lakes (family boats were a Cal 20, Pearson 30, Santana 35).
Since moving to Texas 20 years ago I have owned/raced a J-24, J-80 and now a J-22. Also have two kayaks, a ski boat and the AS. Pretty much love to be outdoors.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
It sure hasn't worn off for us. Our old catamaran is like sailing a three bedroom, two bath cottage around. We love it. We bought it used two years ago, and our very first time to start the engines or hoist the sails was when we left the dock at Jax NAS and sailed a thousand miles to Providenciales. What a trip.

When we want to sail fast, we have a little Hobie Tandem Island kayak. It's a two person kayak, with Mirage Drives, outriggers (ama) and an 18 ft. carbon fiber mast. We've hit 11 knots with it several times. That might be a boat you would be interested in for your fishing, kayaking, sailing. I don't want to be a blog flogger, but there are lots of photos and videos of sailing the Hobie on ours if you want to see one in action.
How manageable is the Island? Is it roof-toppable, or do you need a trailer?
Old 09-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Catamarans - Western Carib and SW FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
We want to cruise Central America, and in fact are not that interested in the Caribbean south of here. too crowded, lousy beaches. We do like the Bahamas. I've been recently researching marinas and boatyards in SE Florida, thinking to sail the boat up in early summer, put it in a yard for upgrades and fixes, while we go to CO and camp in the AS for several months. Now I'm thinking that Sandy has booked all the yards up the East Coast with repairs for the foreseeable future.

Alabama,huh?
Gringo,

We sailed the Western Caribbean for five seasons, from Panama to Isla Mujeres. Excellent adventures in uncrowded, remote locations. There is a yard that can haul your catamaran in La Ceiba, Honduras, and I believe that the Abel Yard in Rio Dulce has a new broad beam Travel Lift. We also used the one in Isla Mujeres, but management problems made that yard less than reliable.

You might look at SW FL for protected, catamaran-friendly marinas in St Petersburg (The Harborage) and the Manatee River (Twin Dolphin). The St Pete Municipal Marina also has a moorings basin. Travel lifts that can take the beam of a big catamarans are scarce. Our Leopard 42 JAMU has a 23' beam. We're currently hauled out at Progressive Marine in St Pete, but they do not allow DIY work. For DIY catamaran work, Barber Marina on the ICW in Elberta, AL has a lift and an excellent yard.

We've not fixed on our intended Bahamas itinerary yet. We spent some time on Cat Island years ago, but have never sailed there. Any suggestions for us coming from Key West and wanting to spend a couple of months in the islands?

Safe Sailing,
Jamu Joe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #69
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
How manageable is the Island? Is it roof-toppable, or do you need a trailer?
You could carry it on a roof, I suppose, but it would take some thought. The kayak is 18.5 ft. long, and I think the main hull (Hobie Mirage tandem kayak) weighs something like 90 lbs. It would certainly go on a set of ladder racks on a pickup truck, or van. I know I could set on end of it on a rack and push it okay. The amas, mast, sail, and Mirage Drives don't individually weigh very much. I bought a little aluminum trailer for ours and it works great. I'd love to have a second one here in the US. I'd put a camper shell on the F 250 and racks on the camper.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:49 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2013 27' FB International
olney , Illinois
new proud owner of an Airstream 27fb ccd. other than that we own a Farrier 33 trimaran, sailing it on Lake Carlyle Il, and a couple times in the gulf. We do cclubraces but nothing wpectacular , well did Nats twice, lol.

eventually house in florida, airstream in hurricane season, boat the rest. next to house.
thats the plan. but I will need to sell lots more folding bikes, lol

thor