Old 11-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Providenciales , BermudaTriangle
Wow, this is really cool! Gringo mentioned our Hobie Tandem Island but he didn't mention our 12M Catalac, Twisted Sheets, which we purchased in early May of this year. We had quite an adventure getting this old boat down here to the TCI including being struck by lightning in the Berry Islands, Bahamas. In the first pic you can see 3 of our 5 boats. The second is Twisted Sheets on the way to being hauled out for hurricane season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 boats.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	171812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Haul Out 026a.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	171813  

http://2gringos.blogspot.com
La Gringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Providenciales , BermudaTriangle
We need a new sub-forum called something like Sailors with Trailers!

http://2gringos.blogspot.com
La Gringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #45
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
how bout Sailors in trailers to keep out the riff raff.....

just kidding. Some of our best friends are riff raff.
And I grew up living in trailer parks, and I don't mean RVs.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Thanks for the great Monopoly quote, Paul! Love your future plans. Do it and don't look back!

We are originally from the Niagara Region, and we really miss the Great Lakes out here on the prairies. Maybe we'll move back to get more use of our Hobie once we retire.

And we too have fiberglass (a Boler) and aluminum. Love them both.

Take care,
Lisa and Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ouellette View Post
As I've long been aware of the wisdom in the saying..."like a game of Monopoly, once your life is over...everything you have goes back into the box"... acquiring the toys necessary to play while we can has been a priority with the Admiral & I.

Our 15ft Trillium trailer is great for weekends away.

Our C34 Airstream (the Aluma-cottage) is nearly as comfortable as a home & perfect for longer trips.

Our Beneteau 36 is a perfect Great Lakes cruiser...however, we're intent on trading her for a Beneteau 41 in a few more years.

We have 5 more years of working prior to retirement & once retired we'll be cruising with the boat from the Great Lakes, to the Florida Keys & the Bahamas.

When we've tired of doing that, the plan is to sail in the Great Lakes during the summers...& then head south to Florida with the C34 to escape the cold each winter.

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Wow, what an interesting group of people there are in this thread and mix of socio-economic backgrounds. That is what makes it all interesting. That is a beautiful boat Gringa (the cat) and Paul O (windpipe). We even have a Sail magazine star! Geez.

I do have a question Paul O about the pic with your AS. Are you pulling that C34 with an Explorer!? How?

Also, anyone familiar with that Hobie Islander, is it surdy in stronger winds? I am curious. how it all "fits together" or rather holds together. That sounds like a portable boat for camping with such multi-purpose use.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #48
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Picked this "find" up this AM: Man had it in his barn for 16 years and it's probably a 20 yr. old boat.
So in 2 years I've gone from Captain of a 220' mega yacht to this!!
You know what they say "Old captains never die, they just get a little dingy".
I actually got it as a test platform for an idea for a rowing inovation I'm working on.....while in the middle of dropping the belly pan on the AS and repainting frame etc.....but that's another thread.
Living in a trailer is more like living at sea than on land (with out the salt every where). Lots of crazy, interesting, hard working people around.
Love this thread Gringo!
Cheers you old salts
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	172395  
Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Hey Del, I always heard that the way a sea captain retired was to put a boat oar over his shoulder and walk inland until someone asked him "What's that?" and that's where he stopped and bought a chicken farm.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #50
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Crusty: Heard that one except instead of an oar it was an anchor! That saying implies that the Capt. never wanted to have anything to do with the sea again. Not in my case any way as I'm about a 10min. drive to a beach, river or lake.
The profession has changed drastically since I started. Where once the Capt. had full discretion, authority and responsibility.....now the ships are connected every second of the day to all kinds of shore "support" that has increased the work load to the point it is LESS safe than it used to be. There are more injuries, losses and sinkings per capita than ever before!! I decided to leave the profession before I became a statistic.
So I'll paddle my canoe till some deckhand asks "whats that"?! Then I'll advise him he'd be better off on a chicken farm ;-)
Old 11-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I think it dates back to the days of wooden ships/iron men and it makes sense to me, but there's salt water in my veins and always will be too (though some of my friends from the coast make occasional snide remarks about me being a "drinking water sailor" these days).

I once was on a 300T vessel and we were overrun 60 miles out by hurricane Carmen trying to get back to Galveston in time. Our skipper was a gnarly old salt who saved us all by somehow sensing through the water coming from every direction the side of a super tanker riding high that we were about to t-bone and he was able to make an emergency stop before we hit (I'll never forget the feeling of those big Cats screaming for all they were worth). I still don't know how he knew it was there because I was in the wheelhouse when it happened and all there was to see was white water everywhere. There's no sort of modern electronics that would have been useful in that situation to avoid the collision (radar, satnav, etc. were worthless).
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
La Crescent , Minnesota
Taken on the shore of Pleasant Lake AZ. last winter.
Jay
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	172436  
Old 11-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #53
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post

Also, anyone familiar with that Hobie Islander, is it surdy in stronger winds? I am curious. how it all "fits together" or rather holds together. That sounds like a portable boat for camping with such multi-purpose use.
Assuming you're referring to the Tandem Island, it's based upon a tandem, sit-on-top Hobie. They added two outriggers (amas) and a sail and called it a Tandem Adventure Island. Before the TI, or Tandem Island, they came out with a single seat version.We considered getting two of those, but then waited for Tandem Island. If you download the Hobie brochure on it there's a bunch of info. The amas are attached by these folding arms called akas. The outriggers swing up against the main kayak for tranport. You can also easily detach the arms, the outriggers, and the sail and just use the basic kayak. We've never done that. Sailing the boat is so much fun we can't imagine just kayaking it. The boat has three means of locomotion. The sail, the Mirage drives, and of course paddles.

As for it holding together, well, we've gone island to island with our, across six miles of open sea water. We've had it out lots of times in winds of 20 knots. The sail is easy to reef, you just pull a line and roll up a few feet of it. It's on a boomless, 18 ft carbon fiber mast.

We've been through a lot of boats over the years, and we really like this one. It's a bit of a handful to transport all in one package. We have a little aluminum trailer, but to take it camping we'd want something like a Expedition or Surburban, or an extended bed pickup truck with a full cap and roof racks. You need something you can put an 18 ft boat on top of. Would be best to take the outriggers off probably, but that would only take you about two minutes. The akas have quick release buttons and pull right out.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #54

1987 31' Excella
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Past offshore charter boat capt. in fla. Have a deposit on a 3ift. Excella which I plan on putting up on the eastern shore in Rock Hall Md.

Plan to fish the Chessie and it's tributaries beginning next spring. Have been thinking of this and researching on and off for 7 years.

Will winter in fl. Will make two towing trips to md. One to tow the AS the 2nd to tow my 27ft. center console.

Anyone out there who knows middle Chesapeake fishing? Capt. Billy
Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #55

Sparta , New Jersey
Here's our Hobie TI

Beached at one of our favorite spots, Corson's Inlet, in southern Jersey.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #56
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Gurney View Post
Picked this "find" up this AM: Man had it in his barn for 16 years and it's probably a 20 yr. old boat.
So in 2 years I've gone from Captain of a 220' mega yacht to this!!
You know what they say "Old captains never die, they just get a little dingy".
I actually got it as a test platform for an idea for a rowing inovation I'm working on.....while in the middle of dropping the belly pan on the AS and repainting frame etc.....but that's another thread.
Living in a trailer is more like living at sea than on land (with out the salt every where). Lots of crazy, interesting, hard working people around.
Love this thread Gringo!
Cheers you old salts
We've been in the US for almost three weeks in the Airstream this time, and I'm going to have to agree.. Living in the trailer is a lot like living on our boat.

The solar, batteries, shurflo pumps, and confined spaces are the same. Diesel engines. watching weather. I'm starting to think I really don't need a fixed residence to enjoy the rest of this life.