Old 07-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Since Arthur Eldred of New York earned this nation’s first Eagle Scout Award in 1912, more than 2 million young men have achieved the Boy Scouts of America’s highest rank.

To attain the Eagle Scout badge, scouts must demonstrate proficiency in leadership, service, and outdoor skills at multiple levels. In addition to 21 life skills merit badges required, each Scout must complete an extensive self-directed service project. The Scout must plan, organize, lead, and manage the entire service effort prior to his 18th birthday.

Fewer that 4 percent of Boy Scouts earn this coveted rank.

As a result, over the past century, Eagle Scout has become widely recognized – both in and outside of Scouting – as a mark of distinction.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Five Oh Three. The best dang troop in the BSA!

Low achiever. Made Star.

Girl I was going out with for the first time, during Fathers "interview" he wanted to know if I had been in Scouts and what level I had achieved. Guess I passed.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch View Post
Five Oh Three. The best dang troop in the BSA!

Low achiever. Made Star.

Girl I was going out with for the first time, during Fathers "interview" he wanted to know if I had been in Scouts and what level I had achieved. Guess I passed.
When I was an assistant scout master while my brother-in-law was working toward his Eagle, the scoutmaster used to say that the "3 W's" get in the way of an older scout finishing the road to Eagle: Women, Wheels, and Work. Seems like your little woman might have gotten in the way of your climb , but it is good the father approved anyway!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Blairsville , Georgia
Troop 82 Indpls ---Eagle in 1961---no Philmont but plenty of camporees, shivorees and hiking in the Midwest .. I too will be at the Canopener in Jan
Old 07-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Good times

Made eagle, wouldn't have been able to do it with out Dad kicking me in the pants on a routine basis. Lost my medal and merit badge sash over the years but still have the award letter in a frame with Richard Nixon's form signature. I doubt he was a scout...... sure Agnew wasn't.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
35th President - John F. Kennedy (First Boy Scout to be President - Star Scout)
38th President - Gerald Ford (First and only Eagle Scout so far)
42nd President - William Jefferson (Bill) Clinton (Cub Scout)
43rd President - George W. Bush (Cub Scout)
44th President - Barack Obama (Gerakan Pramuka; The Indonesian Scout Association)(Not BSA but equivalent to Cub Scout)
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Our local state park has been the benefactor of many Eagle Scout projects: picnic Areas, benches, trail signage. It's always great to see them making a lasting contribution to their community, and I appreciate it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Life Scout, Troop 288. Pa Bambi's three W's prevented me from making Eagle. Something I always regretted. I've been an Assistant Scout Master for troops in Nebraska, Oklahoma, and on the Keflavik Naval Air Station in Iceland. BSA is a great organization that provides outstanding guidance to young men. Although I know little about the Girl Scout organization, I trust they provide equally valuable guidance to the young ladies.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I consider scouting one of the highlights of my youth. I grew up in the mining camp of Morenci, AZ. Phelps Dodge Corp., the company that basically owned the camp, sponsored Boy Scout Troop 36 and we had our own "Boy Scout House" along with leaders who were instrumental in operating the mining operation and excellent role models. The first Airstream that I got close enough to actually inspect in 1956 was owned by one of theses leaders. In spite of the fact that I was involved in sports and dated plenty of girls and was involved in various extra curricular activities plus worked on family farms in Colorado and an Uncle's veterinarian practice in Wyoming during the summer, I attained the rank of Eagle November 1958.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
Life Scout, Troop 288. Pa Bambi's three W's prevented me from making Eagle. Something I always regretted. I've been an Assistant Scout Master for troops in Nebraska, Oklahoma, and on the Keflavik Naval Air Station in Iceland. BSA is a great organization that provides outstanding guidance to young men. Although I know little about the Girl Scout organization, I trust they provide equally valuable guidance to the young ladies.
Please don't discount the Boy Scout Venturing Division. This is the fastest growing division of the BSA. It is open to young men and women ages 14-21.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Please don't discount the Boy Scout Venturing Division. This is the fastest growing division of the BSA. It is open to young men and women ages 14-21.
I'm sure that's an outstanding program! Sadly, it's never been an option anywhere I've been living, so I tend to forget about it. I hope it continues to grow so that option is available in more places.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Wink

My son was in Cub Scouts and in his last year we went to the local boy Scout camp which was located not too far from our home. We had to borrow a tent from the Den leader who wasn't too much prepared. Our son had camped with us from our tenting days when he was 3 years old, all the way to us having a travel trailer. I remember the look of shock on his face when I told him that we wouldn't be taking the trailer.

Upon arrival at the scout reservation parking lot we began a long walk through a field of weeds and grass which was up to his waist and was riddled with horse manure. Then the tent that was given to us had a door zipper that had quit working with a very cold night. Pile onto that was the breakfast which the Den leader forgot to pack, which led him to realize that rest of the folks in the camp out were eating eggs, bacon, and pancakes (lots of good smells) and all we had was powered sugar mini donuts and a gallon of milk. Then there was me getting a cup of coffee only to find out that he forgot filters so each sip delivered a nice slug of grounds.

Finally to end it all, he found out that the toilet was a pit toilet. I think that was the crowning blow and John told us when we got home that he was not going to graduate to the Boy Scouts. He noted that this wasn't camping to him.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Boy Scouts

Troop 257
Greenville, SC

1959-1962
John Knox Presbyterian Church

Camp Old Indian

Favorite memory-bread dough on a stick up against the campfire

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001 - Copy.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	163477Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0002.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	524.9 KB
ID:	163478
Old 07-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Proud mom of an eagle scout and OA member. Proud mother in law of a Gold Scout, girl scout highest rank!

Mary in CT

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote