Old 08-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
A lot of it is about the freedom to be where you want in nice surroundings as opposed to being in a cookie cutter room and eating out, to say nothing about carrying all that stuff back and forth. In our case it is much cheaper as we favor out of the way spots and generally average $6. a night outside of planned rallies. We probably would not go at all if we had to do the hotel thing.

I used to think it was just because I was frugal (alright cheap) but I found out I didn't like the hotel/ airport/motel thing any better when some one else was paying for it

Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #16

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
For me its a matter of my own bed, my own food and my own schedule. I went the TT route because I wanted to be able to drop the trailer and still have a vehicle to run around in. I plan to RV for 4-6 months a year and for the other months wanted a decent vehicle for everyday use. With a MH you might need to tow yet another vehicle for groceries etc. I did not want to do that. BTW, I have encountered a number of 5th wheelers who indicated that they wish they had gone the TT route. Sometimes shorter is better.

graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Another thing to consider is pets. We have two dogs, and cost to board them together is $35 per day. When we travel by air and stay in hotels, they have to be boarded, unless i can find a house sitter. When we take the trailer, they always go with us. They are happier and we are happier having them with us. What price can you place on that?
TinShack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
A new 25 Flying Cloud is about $55,000. If you finance it, there will be some interest cost as well. A good TV costs more than a family sedan. For argument's sake, call it an extra $10,000 or so. This means you have about $65,000 in capital cost before you spend a single night in the Airstream.

That can buy a lot of travel by car or plane. In my analysis, you have to offset this heavy capital cost with something - - and for me it is adventure. The AS is an adventuresome wickedly romantic way to travel, not much of an economical one. It produces a sense of freedom that is hard to come by in modern life. If your life revolves only around the bean counting, an RV is really hard to justify. Just like boats are hard to justify.

So, you begin with a $65,000 investment, then you have travel costs on top of that. A typical day of travel includes $75 in gas and another $30 in park fees, plus food. You're at about Motel 6 cost right there. But man o' man, what's it worth to avoid those "juicy" Motel 6 beds? For me, the AS is priceless.

Probably a realistic cost comparison of use, is to compare trailers to MoHos, or Class Bs. Can you imagine trying to justify a $600,000 MoHo?

For people standing on the outside looking in, an Airstream may seem impractical as a way to travel. Absurd in fact. But you have to experience it, to fall in love with it. Then, the money is not that important, other than to know that it is definitely in the category of a luxury expense.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #19
Tenkara Fly Angler
1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
This is an interesting thread, and in the end its all about choice.
If you want an Airstream/rv then buy one.
If you want to travel and stay in hotels then do.
Point being, if you want to travel, pick you mode, then economize to the budget you set to pay for your choice.
1975 Sovereign
"The Silver Bullet"
2013 F350 Super Duty 6.7 Liter Diesel
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
You have to make two decisions. One decision is weather you are a camper or you like to stay in motels. My kids used to ask me "dad, why do we have to camp? Why can't we just stay in a motel like other people. I used to tell them, we may just as well stay home. Staying in a motel is too much like just staying home." I guess I am a camper.

The other question is mh or trailer. I made that decision about 15 years ago. I felt the TV/trailer was more flexible and much more economical. We bought a new 08 Tundra for 25k and have less than 10k in a 66 Tradewind. Both are very reliable and work well for us. The TV is probable still worth 20k and I sure would not sell the Tradewind for less than 10k, so it has not been real expensive for us. Plus I am continuaully upgrading the Tradewind and customizing it to my own specs.

I really enjoy going to music and bluegrass festivals. Most of these take place where camping is available. Most of the time we boondock and camping is free or close to it. This works for us.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Just to add a perhaps specific point in our case

We wanted more sleeping arrangements for family visiting - it's got to point where two blow up mattresses are inflated in living room when people visit - my 3 bedroom has became an intermittent family crash pad - it was getting tight for sleeping arrangements

We almost bought a 4 bedroom house but decided against cause it was only 2-3 times per year.

We wanted a TT and the only one that my wife liked aesthetically and would allow as permanent backyard fixture was the airstream.

So added "value" is extra sleeping arrangements for family visiting and great backyard addition - so no more itch for more square footage - oh and extra oven on turkey day

Oh and we realized something else - we go on a date night once per month or so and have babysitter - we now can retreat there covertly after dinner as a getaway spot for privacy

But overall I too view it as a luxury - then just needed to decide if I could afford it and it's what we wanted - we love camping and the outdoors! We are already bored by condos and hotels down here.

Oh and me and my dad already planning next year trip to a big auto show and camp - totally worth it!!
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
Richland , Michigan
Why are the TVs so expensive ??
sittingbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
Richland , Michigan
Did you mean ? $100 a night ?

sittingbl is offline   Reply With Quote