Old 05-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we use what our trailer came with 99% of the time. Our shower head will also reach our toilet and we have used it at times. I don't want any FREE SOUVINEERS so if I have to use a public place, I only use one where I aim, but don't touch anything, if you know what I mean.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:43 AM   #30
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I much prefer to use our own facilities, but it mostly depends upon whether or not we have a sewer hookup, 'cause with longer boondocking trips, there is a chance of filling up the waste water tank/s. (We've just got one.) We would use the CG restroom during the day, but ours at night.

Lately the thought of sitting over a lot of raw sewage in a waste tank has seemed unwonderful.

During some recent long boondocking stays in desert CGs with no water or sani-dumps (and public pit toilets), I lined our toilet bowl with double new garbage bags, and added a little ordinary garden peat moss to it: one of the most absorbent, light-weight materials there is. After a few uses, just seal up the bags and discretely walk them to the nearest dumpster. This is no less sanitary than disposing of baby diapers, and it does help out the waste tank situation.

We also travel with a lot of baby-wipes for hand-sanitizing.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:19 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

What are they using for toilets now? I wasn't happy with the stock one and replaced it with a Dometic 210. The 210 is now discontinued and replaced by the 310 -- we have one of those in our truck camper. They're both good.
The trailers come with a Dometic 310. It doesn't have a cleaning wand. That must be optional.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:24 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The china bowl isn't hard to clean. It's the flapper mechanism- the part that connects the foot pedal to the flap is covered in poo. The only way I see to clean it is to step on the pedal to open the flap and spray down in there with something.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
My Airstream cost $3,000 per foot. I intend to get my moneys worth out of ALL the features including the black tank!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #34
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We too are USERS. If you got it why not. 2 yrs ago I replaced the toilet with a new ceramic one and we find it much easier to keep clean than the former plastic one. The old one had the spray wand but the new one does not. I believe it had a fitting that needed to be cut to install the sprayer if you wanted to. I have not. But then again I really have not seen the need with the ceramic throne. I will try the shower wand to see if that works for those times where it might be useful. Hadn't thought of that.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Ya know....
I never even thought about it, but the shower nozzle might reach in a trailer. I'm gonna try it
It would most likely reach in a side bath trailer, but I don't know about a center bath trailer with the toilet across the aisle...
Ya know, they make a toilet now with a spray nozzle attached to it, just like your kitchen sink at home. Works GREAT and I wouldn't be without it!

Kay
Old 05-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #36
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Ya know, they make a toilet now with a spray nozzle attached to it, just like your kitchen sink at home. Works GREAT and I wouldn't be without it!

Kay
That's really nothing new. My 1993 and 2000 model SOB's both had the spray attachment. I think it may be a matter of when Airstream finally decided the lack of a sprayer might have some small effect on their sales.

Ken
Old 05-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
We use the CG showers unless they are particularly busy or grungy! Just prefer to use lots of piping hot water rather than taking navy showers!
My experience with campground showers is that you often don't get lots of piping hot water. Quite a few are really terrible, in fact. Many have timers on them that require pressing a button every 30 seconds or something similar, including one that required $0.25 for 10 minutes of water. (To this day we still carry quarters in the trailer.)

There are some really nice ones - South of the Border's come to mind, as well as Camp Hatteras' on the Outer Banks. But those are fairly rare in my experience. Our trailer's shower is at least as nice as most CG showers. I haven't set foot in a campground's shower since we bought the trailer, though.

Quote:
As for the "other," my house rule has always been that we only "pee" in the RV - mainly because I don't want to have to deal with a bunged up RV toilet - probably would never happen, I guess but I am paranoid!
I have never heard of this happening, assuming I understand what you meant by "bunged up". The waste drops straight down into the tank - it's even simpler than a home toilet. I've never seen one stop up, unlike several house toilets I could name.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:05 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
Send a message via AIM to MYater Send a message via Yahoo to MYater Send a message via Skype™ to MYater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I have never heard of this happening, assuming I understand what you meant by "bunged up". The waste drops straight down into the tank - it's even simpler than a home toilet. I've never seen one stop up, unlike several house toilets I could name.
I think the poster was referring to a clog when trying to dump the black water not the immediate disposal of waste into the black tank. And clogged valves happen all to often, there is a thread in the forums right now where somebody is on the road with a clogged tank and it has somehow thoroughly backed up enough that they cannot travel.

As for my experiences with campground restrooms, I tend to use the CG facilities since that is part of the usage fee, and is my privilege. My wife hates to have to travel to a restroom and tends to use the trailer. My son just wants to use whatever is closest.

My exception is at night, when I don't want to muck around to get partially dressed with shoes to walk 50 feet and hope there is nothing sharp.

Showers on the other hand, I only have a 3 gallon heater and I not big on water on, water off, water on, water off.

I tend to use the shower and toilet in the trailer more when I am boondocking over city camping.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tampa , Florida
I used the CG for the toilet and the RV for showers. I liked my shower and my privacy. Of course, there are times when all bets are off.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #40
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting duck View Post
I used the CG for the toilet and the RV for showers. I liked my shower and my privacy. Of course, there are times when all bets are off.
I'd use campground showers more often if they actually had doors instead of curtains (My Interstate's wet bath leaves much to be desired). If they can put a door on a toilet stall, why not on a shower stall?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:03 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It's built in, so we use it...

Wife prefers the AS facilities, especially since the tankless water heater went in so no more Navy showers...I got out of that outfit in 1976!

I have a Sewer Solution system and plenty of utility water hoses, so no issue clearing tanks when parked and hooked up.

Best part of it is on the road, when someone needs a potty break, its a simple matter of pulling off into a convenient rest area, walking back, and using a known clean facility we tow behind us.

I always make sure the grey tank is empty, the black tank as empty as possible, the fresh tank is at around 30-50% on the road, and the batteries are hot so the water pump works.

We usually have to dump the black tank every 3-4 days so its not been an issue. We usually stay at KOA, so hookups are not an issue.

Why not use it if you've got it?
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:05 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Still looking....however one thing we've gotten in the habit to do at campgrounds is to take sanitizer wipes and "clean the rim" before sitting down to read.