Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Alternative Number Display

Looking for new and innovative ways to display the big Red Numbers.

2017 27FB FC
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Make the commitment. Stick them above the front and rear panos as has been done forever. They look good there, not hurting a thing. At five years always outdoors, ours look as nice as new.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Mine are in the traditional spot. I saw someone post a picture of a smaller version of the numbers on their bumper - made sense to me.

I've been trying to imagine a way to string some red LEDs together in the shape of my numbers that I could either have on plexiglass and plug in at a site or inside the trailer (though that could be annoying). Sort of like a neon sign from the 50s only using those LED strips I'm so addicted to 😀

People are pretty creative here - I'm sure you'll get some good ideas!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sign companies can make LED lighted signs in just about any configuration you can come up with.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
I seen a set on some type of cling material that were on the window.

I didn't want to attach them to the skin for fear of impacting on trade in or sale value sometime in the future. Subject to change 😀

2017 27FB FC
Old 10-06-2016, 06:59 AM   #6
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Mounted ours on a piece of plexiglass so can move it front to back depending on how we park, but also can leave it in the rear window when driving, because in a 1975 MH we only need it on the back because everything is passing us!

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:14 AM   #7
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
The cling idea sounds like a good approach. I think there are some other threads with information about that. Do some searching. A sign shop can probably make a cling for you.

If your solution involves somebody making the numbers for you - on a sign, on a cling, etc. - be sure to give them your numbers so they can reproduce the font. I've seen a few alternate display methods that obviously didn't use the Wally numbers as a template or even make an attempt to reproduce the font.

Going on a tangent but to support your case for applying numbers in an alternate manner...

We put our numbers on the trailer nearly 15 years ago and they did not age well. In hindsight I should have replaced them after 5 years or so.

Instead, I let the situation go from bad to really bad and much worse. The numbers on the rear (more sun exposure) were actually falling off, peeling, cracking, nearly gone. The front numbers (less sun exposure) were more intact but even they were in sad shape. I replaced the numbers for the first time just a few days ago.

Removing the baked-on, dirty rear numbers was almost impossible. At some point I gave up and put new numbers on top of remnants of the old numbers.

The front numbers on the other hand were removed with a hair dryer (try the low setting before using the high setting). The heat allowed me to pull off the vinyl and then I used 3M adhesive remover for the glue. Seemed to work okay.

So if you decide to put numbers on the trailer be sure to replace them periodically as part of your routine maintenance. The numbers appear to come off more easily when they are still intact.

If I had it to do all over again I would go with an alternate display method. Once the numbers are on the trailer for a few years there will be fading and when the numbers are removed there will be ghost images. How much this affects the resale of the trailer is unknown.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
The cling idea sounds like a good approach. I think there are some other threads with information about that. Do some searching. A sign shop can probably make a cling for you.

If your solution involves somebody making the numbers for you - on a sign, on a cling, etc. - be sure to give them your numbers so they can reproduce the font. I've seen a few alternate display methods that obviously didn't use the Wally numbers as a template or even make an attempt to reproduce the font.

Going on a tangent but to support your case for applying numbers in an alternate manner...

We put our numbers on the trailer nearly 15 years ago and they did not age well. In hindsight I should have replaced them after 5 years or so.

Instead, I let the situation go from bad to really bad and much worse. The numbers on the rear (more sun exposure) were actually falling off, peeling, cracking, nearly gone. The front numbers (less sun exposure) were more intact but even they were in sad shape. I replaced the numbers for the first time just a few days ago.

Removing the baked-on, dirty rear numbers was almost impossible. At some point I gave up and put new numbers on top of remnants of the old numbers.

The front numbers on the other hand were removed with a hair dryer (try the low setting before using the high setting). The heat allowed me to pull off the vinyl and then I used 3M adhesive remover for the glue. Seemed to work okay.

So if you decide to put numbers on the trailer be sure to replace them periodically as part of your routine maintenance. The numbers appear to come off more easily when they are still intact.

If I had it to do all over again I would go with an alternate display method. Once the numbers are on the trailer for a few years there will be fading and when the numbers are removed there will be ghost images. How much this affects the resale of the trailer is unknown.

I believe it's important to maintain the correct font. I like the plexiglass approach also. Will post what I decide when we pull the trigger.

2017 27FB FC
Old 10-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Ask your dealer if WBCCI numbers properly placed on the Airstream have any effect on trade-in value.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Ask your dealer if WBCCI numbers properly placed on the Airstream have any effect on trade-in value.

If it leaves a ghost shadow or damages the finish ... yes.

2017 27FB FC
Old 10-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We traded a 20 with red numbers five years ago, and had our 25 with red numbers appraised for trade earlier this year. The WBCCI numbers never came into either discussion on trade-in.

Since 1999-2000 model years Airstream has used aluminum panels from Alcoa with the final finish put on by Alcoa. It's extremely durable, much more than the clear coat finishes of earlier years.

A far greater issue with the new finish is the raw metal edges where the panels have been cut, and the holes under the rivets. When exposed to coastal salt air or northern road salt they can quickly develop filiform corrosion that spreads under the finish. Primarily an appearance issue and it can look pretty rough. There are corrosion prevention treatments and repair threads in this forum, quite long but useful.

We put our numbers on five years ago and they look like new. We routinely inspect and treat our Airstream for corrosion prevention and there is none anywhere. There's a nick or ding here and there but we do touch up and it's not noticeable.

I believe the numbers are harmless to the finish in resale, adds it the timeless iconic design, and any concerns about appearance is better directed to corrosion prevention.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
I appreciate all the advice and sharing. I elected to go with an acrylic panel.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1475947661.178479.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	273148
Old 10-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Very nice! How will you affix it?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
It's a 1/8" thick. I made two. Can be put in the rear window or using s hook (plastic) hung on a small yard flag hanger like people use in gardens etc