Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2016, 10:06 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
JDB.... no argument from me.

The thread is titled "Regaining a Reputation Long Lost". You are arguing a point that I do not disagree is today's norm. My title is to illustrate by my words and experience that your and my Airstream is capable to do more than a RV Park in the center of Las Vegas, Nevada.

It is a choice. I am not limited by my choice of trailer use, because others find their comforts to their liking, different than mine.

Many argue that an Airstream cannot be taken further away from a paved road, other than a gas station with a graveled back lot. That is because they read pages of posts on this Forum and believe it is true that an Airstream will decompose once taken onto gravel roads.

The Airstream is only a shined up RV Park trailer. Far from that.

Custer was not a leader. If you read about Custer, he was more interested in himself than his own troopers. Nothing like needing one more "Indian Battle" to enter politics in 1876.

As I have repeated over and over... Boondocking is not for everyone. I need not defend playing golf, as I do not participate. I do not defend the swarms of older retired people finding safety in numbers at a RV Park. That is not my purpose on this Forum. My purpose is to make it known there are options for those willing to take them, other than a RV Park with full hookups.

I have found that there are many more Boondockers in the Western USA and Canada. Large areas of "public lands" make this possible. An opportunity many others do not notice, nor understand, as it is not available within their State.

All of my Threads and posts are directed to those trailer owners, Boondockers, no matter the brand, that options exist outside their comfort level. No body needs help to navigate into a life of RV Parks.

Boondockers are willing to take the Newbie and Greenhorn trailer owners and widen their opportunities to enjoy what many say is... impossible and foolish with an expensive trailer. If I felt that my Airstream was not well adapted to my Base Camping and traveling uncharted hunter's camps in the National Forests... I would put it up for sale and find something that can.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:56 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
These trailers are meant to be used, and frankly, I feel that my trailer is robust enough to travel to about anywhere my truck will tow it.

Talis gentium ceciderunt.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #63
1Boyscout

2015 28' International
Edmond , Oklahoma
we have boon-docked but not often. I would not hesitate taking my 28' Serenity anywhere. We went through some narrow one lane paths last year in Wisconsin. I think some RVrs are of the mind set that they think they need to have TV, AC, computers, etc like they do at home. Along with that I think that when you pay that much for an AS, they think it should be perfect. I did. I had several small issues with mine, but so what. The dealer fixed them with no hassle. They even replaced the back bumper that wasn't finished clear all over, had some cloudy spots in it, that I had accepted when I picked it up. I did not even think about replacing it. We have only towed her about 4K miles last year, but we enjoyed every mile of it. GO Camping!
1Boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
J. Morgan mentioned "Boondocking in the middle of Town".

Boondocking between two National Parks in Utah on public land or at a parking lot with 18 wheelers... is still Boondocking. It requires the same skill set and one more tolerance for diesel and idling engines.

Smaller towns are much more lenient for the casual trailer traveler passing through and stopping for the evening to resume travel. I have yet to have a local police officer asking... we leave, while parked in a parking lot of a closed fast food joint. Your better judgment is all that is required.

Your Airstream, no matter what others might say about suitability, can go to places most cannot imagine possible. As long as the road is passable, the most remote locations are at your doorstep.

Following a map you will find a variety of road designations in an Atlas or smaller scale map with minor roads included. When you find the - - - - - two rut on the map, that could be your end of the trail, but not always. You Base Camp and drive the tow vehicle ahead.

One caveat... The road you checked as being pretty level and convenient, with the trailer in tow becomes more of a challenge than expected. No fooling. I know. Call me much more observant over the years for brush, overhanging tree branches and the "arched" center of the dirt road clearances.

Being able to back up your trailer with a curve on the "passenger's side" of the trailer... is the greatest challenge. Getting into trouble is easy. Backing out of it... more of a challenge. An Airstream can handle these challenges. Can YOU?

It is the person driving the tow vehicle that may or may not be capable. After a few stressful retreats, some sweating and cursing to yourself... you will learn. Eventually a glance at a road is all it will take to decide. Not the first five feet but in the distance. All it takes are two junipers encroaching onto the Hunter's road to a wonderful campsite. It may as well be a stone gate with sharp barbed wire to scratch your aluminum siding.

As you gain confidence, so will "your trailer.".. and your passengers. Forcing the passengers out and walking along to watch your clearances gives everyone a part of the process. It gets easier with experience. The first couple of times... you proceed with caution.

If it were easy. More on this Forum would be doing this. But then again... maybe that is why we do it. Among the few pushing the limits of the majority, gives you a much clearer view from the premium campsites others will never be aware exists and not having to share the view.

1Boyscout has already discovered that experience is earned with payment of each mile, each yard and one inch at a time. Anyone insisting that it cannot be done with an Airstream... yes, it is true. That Airstream needs a different owner... that is the limiting factor. Not the trailer. Good for Boyscout... experience is earned from doing, not from reading about it from others.