Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
I got the 15k brisk air ii installed and it cools great! I turn it on when I get home from work mid-day it must be 100 degrees inside, It blows out all four sides and cools the ceiling which is the heat culprit. Keep in mind that it is not a low profile unit and looks tall because it's so short (length)and it drains to the outside, that is probably an issue for some. I may paint the shroud silver or even make an aluminum one to give it the vintage look. I am very happy with the performance so far though.
luvoldstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
On the windows. Do they only come with the dark tint???? I see high end 5ers with the overlay with all the little holes in it on them. I was inside one and found that they block very little view looking out but a lot looking in(except at night). Would think a AS would look great with a silver overlay to match the TT. Kind of makes the window dissapear and would block a lot of sun light or heat asorbition from the glass getting hot from the suns rays. And yes I know the awning will block the sun from hitting the glass.
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Last year I painted the roof with a commercial product called Ceramiflex. This material is probably similar to kool seal, it is an elastomeric material that has embedded ceramic particles in it that help to reflect heat. Doesn't need much special preparation other than a clean surface to adhere to and according to the company is used on bare steel and aluminum quite a bit. Not cheap, smallest amount I could get was 5 gals and that ran about 200 or so.

This last week I installed a new Dometic low profile unit and had occasion to get up on the roof in the late afternoon when the temps were in the 90's and the sun was shining bright. I could comfortably rest my hand on the part of the roof that had been coated with the ceramiflex, the bare aluminum was too hot to touch. And in the 6 or 7 months it has been on the camper, the only real change was that it had gotten a couple shades darker from all the dust and rain. Between the white roof and the newer ac, the camper stayed fairly comfortable inside when the temps outside were in the 90's.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Afternoon shade is what makes my 35' Silver Streak bearable in the Texas heat with a the OEM 13.5 A/C unit (and dehumidifer). This brand has bettter insulation, overall, but not compared to a arctic package SOB . . of course, they have so few windows so poorly placed one may as well be living in a storage room. REFLECTIX is handy stuff, and looks better if one uses fabric over both sides. I use charcoal cloth on the outer side and avoid that ghetto aluminum foil look.
Dark fabric will trap the heat not reflect it. The foil would be a better choice...or at least a light color fabric.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Feel dumb today. What is a SOB. Sounds like I can order a custom AS from the factory through a dealer with more insulaton in it. I have been looking and do not see a site for any options that you can get wih a special order new TT. Is there a site? Heard that they come only as seen But the white roof and I see other ways,ie no oven, different A/C etc. Do you have to go to a dealer and sit down and talk then or can you sit at home and go over at your oun speed. Need to put it on my dream board and sleep on it.
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:34 AM   #66
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
Feel dumb today. What is a SOB. Sounds like I can order a custom AS from the factory through a dealer with more insulaton in it. I have been looking and do not see a site for any options that you can get wih a special order new TT. Is there a site? Heard that they come only as seen But the white roof and I see other ways,ie no oven, different A/C etc. Do you have to go to a dealer and sit down and talk then or can you sit at home and go over at your oun speed. Need to put it on my dream board and sleep on it.
Sorry Other Brand, Sorry old box, some other brand most likely.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #67

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
Sob...some other brand

You can do some minor changes but I don't believe there is anything you can do regarding insulation. For all intents you could probably substitute a microwave convection oven for the standard oven although that is the standard for certain models. You can opt for a larger air conditioner again assuming the largest one made isn't the standard for your model. White roof has been the standard for years now.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Some Streams come with two AC's would that make much of a difference in the 95+ heat compared to the standard 15,000 single unit? I have. 27fb on order and was curious about my future challenges in the southwest here.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
We live in the deep south east - central Alabama. Out 30' bunkhouse is on order with two ac units - the dealers down here tell me that you can swing it with a 27-28' but if you close the shad to bedroom it gets hot - and with one this will require good shade - otherwise it will be quite stuffy I'm told - one of the salesman at my "local" dealer went out in 28 2013 serenity 2 weeks ago to the gulf in Alabama and temps were in the mid 90's - he has I think two kids - he said it did "ok" in the shade spot they were parked - only that they could not close bedroom shade.

But he said on a 30' "ok" becomes marginal or worse....

I know there are a few folks in hot climates that make it with one unit - many variables I play I would think.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Switz, that's the best option list I've seen. We had a 25' FB and the 13,500 A/C was very inadequate for Florida heat. Now have a 30' with two A/Cs and wow what a difference. You were wise choosing your options.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #71
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I like the idea of having 2 AC units. We've camped in some HOT weather and our single unit was working hard and long hours to keep things livable. Some campgrounds are not caught up yet and only offer a 30a service. If that happens to be the case would it be OK to use one AC unit ?????

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
With 30 amp you can run only one at a time but you can choose which one as I understand things.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
... Some campgrounds are not caught up yet and only offer a 30a service. If that happens to be the case would it be OK to use one AC unit ?????
If you encounter a site that has 30A only, you will need a 30A to 50A adapter "dogbone". This will allow you to use your existing 50 shore power cord, but it will provide 30A service only to your trailer/motorhome. If wired correctly, you will have power only to the primary A/C unit and the other essentials: Converter, fridge, some wall outlets, etc. There may be a transfer switch which will allow you to select which A/C gets the juice.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post

If you encounter a site that has 30A only, you will need a 30A to 50A adapter "dogbone". This will allow you to use your existing 50 shore power cord, but it will provide 30A service only to your trailer/motorhome. If wired correctly, you will have power only to the primary A/C unit and the other essentials: Converter, fridge, some wall outlets, etc. There may be a transfer switch which will allow you to select which A/C gets the juice.
I thought the dog none adapter splits the 30 amps across both hot wires on the 50 amp plug?
Old 06-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #75
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Just got back from Ft. Richardson SP in Jacksboro TX. Thurs and Fri were to the extreme, 108-110. Found the shadiest site and with the blackout curtain lining my wife sewed onto the curtains she made, as well as having the vents blocked, it never got over 82 inside. She came up with a very unique idea on how to fit the curtains to the curvature. Yes it was damn hot outside but comfy inside. Texas summers, its an easy weight loss program...
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #76
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Up near Dallas this weekend we hit 102outside and 78 inside with all awnings deployed. We were NOT inside during the day and when we returned at 8pm temp was 78 and dropping through the nite.

We had ZERO other shade at the RV park.

15,000 BTU heat pump from 1999.

We are installing second 13k AC in bedroom in a few days. Will convert to 50 amp this week and distribute electrical loads to help things work properly.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdiver View Post
As a science teacher I should understand the principles involved here.

Now as to the my original question. It seems that the airstream is perhaps less than ideal for camping in very hot climates. Although no one in this thread seems to have done any kind of direct comparison between an airstream and SOB camper with equivalent air conditioners and interior square footage.
1. Painting the roof white is a good idea
2. Awnings are good because they shade the side of the camper from direct sunlight and if one has a choice in positioning i would think that parking with the awning side facing south would be best if one doesn't have two awnings.
3. You mostly have to beat the heat through brute force by installing the biggest air conditioning units available and perhaps adding a second one.
Science Teacher, you've got it. As far as a comparison, our Airstream (2011 FC23FB - white roof) is harder to cool than our previous molded fiberglass 17' Casita, after taking into account the difference in shell area and interior volume. The difference is due to the color and thermal conductivity of aluminum. In the construction of the Airstream, there is a direct thermal connection between outer and inner skin via the aluminum framing, so the inner skin gets hot despite the insulation between skins. The white fiberglass shell of the Casita, despite being a single layer, was lined with foam backed carpet on the inside and simply did not transfer as much heat (or cold).

We are currently towing from CO to WA and have had days of 106º in UT and 102º in ID. We tow with the roof vents open and plug in the A/C as soon as we hit the campground. We drive later than normal, closer to sunset, and forgo boondocking in this heat - even though we have a Yamaha 2400iS that will run the 13.5k A/C. It takes about an hour to cool the interior air from 100º down to 85º, and the inner skin will still be quite warm.

A second rooftop A/C in a unit this size would not be tolerable to me, the rooftop A/C is very loud.

I wish that I could safely arrange the generator so as to be able to run the A/C for the last hour of towing, as we do with the furnace in cold weather.

Yes, the Airstream is less than ideal for very hot or very cold climates, although we use and enjoy ours in both. Had Casita or Oliver built a 24 ft model, I'd definitely be towing fiberglass.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:03 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Our previous sob trailer was really drafty. It was more noticeable in cold weather. ThemAirstream is more comfortable in cold weather than the sob was. I can't tell any difference in cooling, but the previous trailer had one a/c and this trailer has 2. They are loud, and we seldom run both at the same time. If we are in the front, we run the back a/c and vice versa. The bedroom cools much easier. I assume it is because the are is smaller and has less windows. I will be purchasing some type of insulating material for all windows and skylights.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #79
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff View Post
Dark fabric will trap the heat not reflect it. The foil would be a better choice...or at least a light color fabric.
"Technically", yes.

There was a trade-off, for me, in the appearance of the TT. With smoked windows the light charcoal fabric did fine, and the interior side was covered with a fabric that complemented the interior. And, as the installation was of the press-fit variety where the fabric sealed the edges of the REFLECTIX all around the window frame potentially I had better performance with this approach, not just a more pleasing appearance inside and out. Note where I live and that the TT was in use 24/7 through all of 2012.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote