Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Airstreams - Corvettes - Harley Davidson

Three big ICONS with tires. They have a lot in common.

1- They are imbedded within the culture of North America
2- They are expensive relative to other similar options
3- The owners of late models are 'late models' (mature... owners)
4- Each are less practical for their specific uses
5- The depreciation curve is steep for the first four years of ownership
6- They each are 'status' purchases, if you agree or not
7- They each require maintenance and 'upgrades' for specific uses
8- Industries are built around the servicing and upgrading for individual tastes
9- Each become collectable after decades of manufacture with price increases

These points have been researched heavily in the last eight minutes.

I do see an overlap of ownership at the present or over the life of the current owners. From extensive metaphysical thought on this subject... I would offer the vision that most Airstream owners have had or currently have TWO of these three Icons.

As you already have figured out, this is tossing out an idea to find if there is some truth in any of the points above. Point #4... low clearances for two. Road bikes not very practical as dirt bikes... you get the idea?

I purposely avoided the traits of those who are members of organizations that share one or more of these Icons. Although, through some casual considerations there are also over lapping true statements to be discovered in these associations as well.

Like Corvair Clubs. When they were being built, Corvair and Corvette were confused from the beginning. Both had low clearances and any other comparison was an... insult to one of the owners.

What say you, the 'pundits of nostalgia'? Is there a 'ring of truth' or just a discarded Marathon tire to be made into five pair of Sandals?
Old 04-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Is there a 'ring of truth' or just a discarded Marathon tire to be made into five pair of Sandals?
I think I'll retire (get it?), move to Marathon Key, accept discarded Marathon tire donations, and start a factory making Marathon sandals.

"I blew out my flip flop, stepped on a pop top", replaced my sole with a Michelin...
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I'm very familiar with #9! It costs a lot of money and time to restore an icon. When owners brag about how their Harley, 'vette or Airstream have been around for 40 or fifty years, they fail to tell you how much money it took to make it "as good as new".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-020S.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	260952  
Old 04-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Why yes, I did own a Corvette, before the Airstream, although the Corvette is now gone. My neighbor has a Harley. The big "but" is that the Harley and the Corvette are well made and actually require little other than routine maintenance; each will last a long time with relatively simple routine maintenance. Airstream, conversely, is sold as an icon, but is really made no better than a cheap piece of XXXX. Try to get to anything to do maintenance! I think your icons have less in common than you suggest.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Airstreams - Corvettes - Harley Davidson

I would generalize even further and say that achieving premium status for your brand is always worth it, because the extra amount you can sell a premium brand for usually far exceeds the extra amount it costs to produce it, compared with a non-premium product. Other examples would include Snap-on tools, BMW motorcycles (and possibly their cars too, but I don't have any personal experience with them), and Rolex watches. My experience is that the performance of premium brands exceeds the performance of non-premium brands a little, but not enough to justify the extra cost. The nice thing about having a premium brand is that most consumers innately know that they really aren't getting their full money's worth for it, but they don't care!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Guilty as charged
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	February 2008 068 (1).jpg
Views:	165
Size:	743.5 KB
ID:	260970   Click image for larger version

Name:	February 2008 069.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	709.9 KB
ID:	260971  

Name:	February 2008 070.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	708.5 KB
ID:	260972  
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:20 PM   #7
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Overlap huh...

Old 04-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The Corvette at one point in time did somewhat meet your criterion. Fibreglass cracked, engines and transmissions were no better than some competition and they did not handle well. However, that all started changing in the 80's. Each new version is better. For the performance they deliver, the late models are reasonably priced, quite well engineered, and built with significant care and attention. They do their intended purpose , and there are several of them, quite well. There are pony car competitors, but a well driven Corvette is still a better performer. It has a low center of gravity, low aero profile and looks great. Sounds like an AS, right.

I was impressed when I visited the Corvette factory. I was not impressed when I visited JC. So there is a big difference from that perspective. AS management could be hitting it out of the park if they purchased dinner each month for a group of Airstream employee children who are working at Honda. They would have to listen. The Icon would change, but I don't think corporate profitability or the smiles would fade.

Now, Harleys.......if you like them and enjoy them, good for you. I find them more Icon than solution. The old ones shook and leaked. But folks could work on them and they got a lot of riders down the road for a lot of miles, one thump at a time. The newer vintages are better designed and built. They provide folks with a lot of fun and recreation. However, there are a lot of Harley riders that move to BMWs if they really ride a lot. One of the engineers I knew, who could and did buy what he wanted, purchased a Honda V-twin cruiser. A friend bought a Honda and rode it every day. He bought a Harley and sold it a year later. Some bad luck, some Harley baggage. My Brother would give his eye teeth to trade his Honda for a Harley. The only Harley he ever owned left him stranded in Colorado, but he still is hooked by the Icon.

Guess it's all about dreams. Travel safe and enjoy the dream. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Boy, clearly we've got some motor heads in our clan.

I love that double woodie combo, beautiful!

And how do you chose which to drive when you have a garage FULL of vettes

I'd like to add my classic combo for consideration, I feel they fit all of the criteria pretty well.

Cheers Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	260986  
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We saw a Chrysler woody sedan with a matching wood tear drop trailer that the owner built from a vintage set of magazine plans. Very cool ride, except no AC.

Yes, the Porsche fits the niche. Usually quite well. We had a friend who rebuilt his 356. Bad move. He spent so much money making it cherry, his wife would not let him race it any more. She probably saved him a ton of money down the road.

Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Boy, clearly we've got some motor heads in our clan.

I love that double woodie combo, beautiful!

And how do you chose which to drive when you have a garage FULL of vettes

I'd like to add my classic combo for consideration, I feel they fit all of the criteria pretty well.

Cheers Richard
Nice rig and a toad with attitude tevake. You rotate to keep batteries charged and fluids flowing
Old 04-18-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Tightening Bolts and then Riveting Aluminum

Makes me remember the scuffed knuckles and smell of burnt oil on the exhaust manifold, after adjusting a noisy hydraulic lifter at the Owl Inn in Cheyenne, Wyoming, seeing all that fiber glass! Newbies always wanted to see how the Corvette was bolted together without seams...

Working on cars gives you the experience and mechanical aptitude to own an Airstream. I still hate drum brakes compared to disc... but some things you have to live with.

I would have thought that Airstream would be confident that their trailers could last for the long haul. Installing an odometer relayed off an axle/wheel would not be a bad idea. Well, would be bad if it did not work and was easily disconnected.

At least the 50's and 60's Corvettes you could pull an engine, find the distributor and spark plugs under the static hardware. If a fuel injection was not working, you could install the original manifold with Holly yourself... or if stock on some, the Carter carburetor. Better yet if they did not have California pollution systems in the later 60's and beyond it did not get in your way.

If my Tundra needed plugs replaced or the engine pulled... time to trade it in before that was needed.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Your so right Ray. Now days you need Air Forums or You Tube to work on things. I find that You Tube is the teacher for all....good and bad.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #14
rbr
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Semora , North Carolina
No vettes here, Do have a Harley, tho engine by Porsche.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Nice rig and a toad with attitude tevake. You rotate to keep batteries charged and fluids flowing
Thanks streaminwild, funny the little 3 ltr. Flat six in the S C has more HP than the 454 in the coach. Just not the torque to tow it. I do manage to find plenty of side trips to keep the Porsche and me happy.

Love pic of you in the engine compartment, Bold. Is that beauty something you had to leave behind to head out on your current adventure. Ah the trade offs.

I've got a similar pic in the 911, but had to take the engine out to fit in there.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	109
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	260988  
Old 04-18-2016, 10:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
[QUOTE=PKI;1778670]We saw a Chrysler woody sedan with a matching wood tear drop trailer that the owner built from a vintage set of magazine plans. Very cool ride, except no AC.

Something like this gem, PKI? Would pair nicely with Denis's woody, no? I came across this home made beauty in Roswell N M.

Not too worried about thread drift in one started by Ray. I think his threads are famous for wandering a bit.

Fun subject for this one Ray, thanks

Cheers Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	114
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	260989  
Old 04-19-2016, 05:41 AM   #17
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Yep, same disease, slightly different symptom!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BlackSwan1600-1_zps845ed4e0.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	260992   Click image for larger version

Name:	1977 Porsche 911.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	260993  

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:04 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

It's not a disease...more like a sickness.

Land...

Sea...

Air...

Bob
Old 04-19-2016, 06:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Have owned other AS aside from the current one. Numerous Harley's but no Vette, but a number of Mustangs. On your list two of three - but I also consider the Mustang to be an American Icon - we had the first one 64 1/2, wish we had her now.

Good post, fun.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:16 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Built bikes as a hobby for 36 years. Traded my last HD for my Airstream. First time I was ever satisfied with the disposition of one of my bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote