Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2016, 06:32 AM   #21
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
It's not a disease...more like a sickness.

Land...

Sea...

Air...

Bob
Nice... triple nice!

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:13 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
[QUOTE=ROBERT CROSS;1778784]It's not a disease...more like a sickness.

Land...

Really sweet trio, Robert.
And your ford really intrigues me, with its unusual trim details and roof lines
Is it by chance a Canadian built car? Or a low production #s model, just not commonly seen. With the white roof and sidewalls bracketing the black body It does look SO NICE, do you tow with it?

Wow, RFP. Your 930 pops in that pic, ( that's the pic on the left, a turbo with the fender flairs). I'm wondering if like some of the beautifully restored vintage airstream trailers. Does the high and climbing value, gets in the way of being able enjoy using it for the fun it can bring.

My S C is a nice driver quality car (ten footer) that already had plenty of rock chips, so I'm able to feel okish with towing it along on my adventures.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:49 AM   #23
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Thanks streaminwild, funny the little 3 ltr. Flat six in the S C has more HP than the 454 in the coach. Just not the torque to tow it. I do manage to find plenty of side trips to keep the Porsche and me happy.

Love pic of you in the engine compartment, Bold. Is that beauty something you had to leave behind to head out on your current adventure. Ah the trade offs.

I've got a similar pic in the 911, but had to take the engine out to fit in there.
Yeah, she and two other cars funded our Airstream purchase. I figured I can always get another. The C3 is kind of a pig, bloated, not very good overall, but I have always loved the curves. I rebuilt the motor, rebuilt the suspension, new interior, new paint. Always got a lot of compliments.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Streaminwild, that's an impressive collection of vettes there in your pic.
Would you share a little about your passion, and how these all came to live with you.
I really enjoy going to car shows and have come to the conclusion that the back stories are often as interesting as the the cars themselves.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I do have a Harley- and a Tundra.
I have always wanted a Corvette, but likely will never own one.
A corvette is simply too small and lacks practicality or storage or hauling ability.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #26
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
[QUOTE=tevake;1778811]
Quote:
<<< snip >>> Does the high and climbing value, gets in the way of being able enjoy using it for the fun it can bring.

My S C is a nice driver quality car (ten footer) that already had plenty of rock chips, so I'm able to feel okish with towing it along on my adventures.

Cheers Richard
Richard,

Thank you for your kind compliments on the Porsche! Regrettably, the present-and-climbing value of the car does mean it stays covered in the garage more than I would like. I do drive it, and those are 'special' outings. It drives beautifully. I've entered the car in six shows and managed five first-in-class and one overall win. The car looks like it was built this morning.

For the record, the car isn't a 930... it's a 1987 M491 coupe, number 40 of only 62 built (fifteen are accounted for today).

Congratulations on the beautiful SC... Towing it to beautiful places and then DRIVING it... priceless! Well done!

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flares.1.1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	261014  

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1461089270.211346.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	261015

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
I agree with Ray on all counts. And with several other posters, too. I owned a Harley and rode it 50,000 miles all over the USA and Canada. Sold it last year when we bought our first Airstream. No Corvette, but still drive our 35th Edition (1999) red Mustang GT convertible daily. All three have been driven around the USA. None meet all our needs. On the ocean we paddle our two Necky kayaks. The most well made, reliable, healthy, adventuresome, and fluid dynamic of all our transport systems. AC? Just remove your dry suit! Very slow through Kansas, however.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #29
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
[QUOTE=tevake;1778739]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
-- snip -- Richard
Similar, but that one is a late model original. Certainly a fine example of true artistic furniture fabrication. No the one we saw was an example of the craftsman period. It was recently built, but well constructed and matched the style of the Chrysler. You would have thought they came off the same manufacturing line.

The folks were on the way to a vintage trailer meet in Santa Cruz. We hope we see them again. Rigs like that need to be used and enjoyed.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=tevake;1778811]
Quote:
It's not a disease...more like a sickness.

Land...

Really sweet trio, Robert.
And your ford really intrigues me, with its unusual trim details and roof lines
Is it by chance a Canadian built car? Or a low production #s model, just not commonly seen. With the white roof and sidewalls bracketing the black body It does look SO NICE, do you tow with it?

Wow, RFP. Your 930 pops in that pic, ( that's the pic on the left, a turbo with the fender flairs). I'm wondering if like some of the beautifully restored vintage airstream trailers. Does the high and climbing value, gets in the way of being able enjoy using it for the fun it can bring.

Cheers Richard
Richard...

Built right here in Buffalo N.Y..

It was purchased new by my DW's Maternal Grandmother,.....1953 Ford Victoria.

Poland N.Y.

Bertha's Last Drive...Oct. 1976, the day we bought it and brought it back to WNY.

Un-Restored Original, Rouge Award, Early Ford V/8 Club Of America...

Bob
Old 04-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #31
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
You only live once might as well enjoy it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pic002.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	656.5 KB
ID:	261021   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Pictures0006.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	261022  

Attached Images

Old 04-19-2016, 03:07 PM   #32
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Maybe the generality might be to generically include two wheel and two seat sport vehicles (plus throw in a boat or two) as I am guilty of that pairing multiple times simultaneously. Many of those acquisitions are now more than two decades old and still occupying garage space as treasures.

The Harleys are no more as the BMWs last longer with less maintenance. Likewise, the exotic two-seater is non-American and proven more dependable. Boats, there is a reason the happy days are purchase and sale dates.

It would be illuminating to see a proportionally drawn Ven diagram by brand.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Foley , Alabama
Guilty, Harley Wide Glide and 1982 Corvette Collectors Edition, OK psychoanalyze us.
Mick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I've had one of each and will not buy a second of any of them.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:32 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
The Rebellious Youthful Geezers versus Generation X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick33 View Post
Guilty, Harley Wide Glide and 1982 Corvette Collectors Edition, OK psychoanalyze us.
It is about time that the sniffling GenX get the message that their parents intend to buy what they want, keep what they bought, do what they want and.... care less about their diminished dining options at a genteel wine tasting event or dependent group behaviors, upon this growing cadre of youthful sophisticated Senior Citizens.

And Senior in this case means... 'distinguished with experience'.

Actually an Army of Seniors, and a few sophsiticated GenXers lacking the distinguished and experience designation at present, among whom are capable to operate vehicles that were intended to become obsolete as they contain... no computer chips, nor GPS system guidance. Or, worse... be upon a moving piece of transportation without safety belts.

As we wave to the last generation propelling ourselves with gas guzzlers and loaded down trailers... we earned the right. We drilled the oil wells and they want to shut them down. We purchased the largest trailer that our vehicle could pull down the Interstate, which WE also built, grin while displaying those expensive, well polished gold crowned teeth. Eight carat gold.

We are towing and driving portable ART on rubber tires.

The Xers have the 60 miles per gallon box on a grocery cart frame and the bumpers on our clunkers contain more metal than what they are driving to work to pay the off the money borrowed for an EPS approved ethanal burning corn dog under the hood.

And yes... when the coastal beaches are covered with the melting glacier water from LaLa Land somewhere, and Spring flowers grow north of the Arctic Circle twelve months of the year... we can then say... Pal, now it is your turn to do something to those Millennials who are draining your bank account and living in the basement until they are 38 years old.

Give them your old roller skate wheeled board, a brown bag lunch and send them out the door to 'seek the land of lollipops and tooth fairies'... it is out there somewhere. We found ours... now you can find yours. Before you leave... could you give me a push down this hill? The battery is dead and I am saving up to replace it... when the coupon book comes next week.

We warned you that this day would come. Yes it is a decade or two earlier than expected... but Mick33 figured it out. Obviously others following this thread need to push the BUY BUTTON for some other obsolete historical mechanical toys... and give me some self-help book you no longer want... I need to get my campfire started.

I have always thought of myself as a 'bridge builder' but when it comes to conversations lately... bridge burning is probably something I am more competent.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Don't forget Beechcraft!

Ray I'd add one to your list: Beechcraft.

I have an H model Bonanza. It's made of aluminum and riveted together, so it has to be good, right? It'll also go 210mph straight and level....and drain my pocket book as it does it. But, that's why we work, right?

RBR I also have a V-Rod. I like it a lot. It might not run with a Hayabusa or ZX-14, but I've had it to 133mph and it was still pulling hard when I ran out of nerve and backed off. Not bad for a Harley. Oddly enough, I just finished a repair on it today fixing an oil leak. Not a bad leak, especially by HD standards, but one that had been bugging me for a year.

I wanted a Corvette when I was 24 and got my first real engineering job. That's when I found that what Kelly Blue Book says, and what Corvette owners say, are WAY apart. I couldn't swing one.

I do have a '70 Dodge Charger with a 440 (at least until I blow it up and then go with a blown HEMI) that I'm fixing up. I've always liked the '68 to '70 Chargers.

But at any rate, I fully agree with you. These "Toys" are good stuff and why we work. I keep looking at big 5ers, especially the toy haulers, but then I ask myself "Do I really need a 20,000lb trailer that I need a Kenworth to pull?" Sure, they have more room. But, I like my silver tube, especially since I've customized it the way I want it.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	261034   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	261035  

Old 04-19-2016, 07:03 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
YOU... yes YOU need to carry the baton, I'm tired

JimGolden... that's the spirit we need. Why stop at 31 feet when you could extend the Excella 500 another five feet. Use it to tow the H model Bonanza behind it so you can fly home and haul gasoline to your 440 Charger tow vehicle, as long as it has the rear fin over the trunk for stability and Michelin E Rated tires.

This is NOT the attitude among the cautious gawking guests, reading these philosophical words of wisdom and not those of active peeping GenXers and their Millennial spawn, who are not aware that Metric tools are not the same as US sockets and wrenches. I do not believe Airstream does either with a generous mix of modern and antique tools needed for repairing while on the road.

And how do you explain to these youngsters that their Tinker Toy Tool set is neither metric or US and not worth carrying along when they travel in case of an emergency?

When we are gone, and I hope it is a bit longer as I need more time to abuse my own toys... you need to carry on this tradition to make a point. And... whatever the point was, I forgot, but it was as good as JimGolden's... although mine was without photographs.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Airstreams w/Other American Icons

My hubby always brings his Harley along in the bed of our Ford pickup truck while pulling my Airstream. Everybody's happy!

Name:	IMG_20150415_183105057.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	261038
911Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Airstreams - Corvettes - Harley Davidson

Ok, this is fun, but I truly need to gently point out that my Millennial GenX, or whatever son is the one that originally bought the current family Airstream...and he and I installed the solar system on it.

He's also one of the kids that drove and repaired several of our former fleet of old Volvo cars. All three of the boys are also Eagle Scouts, hard working and very successful. They have earned their right to buy the toys they want, and they do. Two of them also play with Ham Radio, like Dad.

The weird part is that wife and I are the ones driving the Prius that gets the great gas mileage....go figure.

I guess our family refuses to confirm to any particular generational stereotype.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
It is about time that the sniffling GenX get the message...
And there it is, the unwarranted disparaging of younger generations.
I've no interest in your Harley or your Corvette, but I'm not about to criticize you for your taste. Personally, I'll stick to European cars. As for motorcycles, my British bikes have held my interest longer than any Harley ever could.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote