Old 09-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #99
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
We use Macs at the house and on the road. On the rare occasion that I need Windows, I run it through an Emulator (vmware fusion) running from a drive partition. Pretty much a seamless interface. Windows desktop can be run in a window or as a replacement desktop.

While the Macs are more expensive I've found them significantly more stable. Switched over when we moved to Africa, as I knew I would have no time to be a system admin for my family. Been pretty happy with the results.

Cheers

Old 09-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #100
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Macs....we have an old 2nd-gen iMac, a new Macbook and an AppleTV -- no PC's (except for a linux netbook) ever in this house or A/S!!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
nayl, stick with the Mac! It can do most of what a windows machine can without loading widows. iwork vs office is a toss up. When I was in school I needed to use MS Word and it was easier to do all my writing in Word. I have played with Pages, Keynotes and Numbers, they are a little different but become user friendly quickly. They are Apple products after all!

Apple may upgrade iWorks, but the current version will work ok for some time. I believe there will be a new version of Office for Mac due out soon.

Good Luck
Old 09-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #102
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
MacBook Pro. Even though I got it well before we got the Airstream, it's aluminum case matches perfectly with it!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
MacBook Pro of course!

Hi nayl,

Good choice in getting a MacBook Pro for your daughter!

That's what I use and the 15" model travels well.

I switched from PC to Mac almost 3 years ago and will never go back!

Check Mac-forums.com, Switcher Hangout for additional support.

And since I'm used to working with Word, Office 2008 for Mac (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Entourage) works well for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2483 Carmen on MacBook Pro.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	509.6 KB
ID:	110911   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2473 Charging MacBook Pro.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	523.3 KB
ID:	110915  

Old 09-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #104
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
steverino, you are correct in how well a MBP complimnets an A/S. A few years ago when I was in a grad program, I remember seeing a picture of an Apple in an A/S and thought WOW, what a great graduation gift! My wife thought so too, (well sort of), she was thinking an A/S made a better 25th Wedding Aniverserary gift. It did, and the good part is it was only about 12 months between graduation and our aniverserary. We picked up our 2011 Flying Cloud last month.

My daughter switched from a Toshiba to MBP when she saw how clean Macs run, and for my wife who is not compter literate I bought an iMac. I'm not bashing Windows, I just avoid it as much as possible. I have not loaded Windows on any of our Mac's because I feel it defeates the whole reason for owning a Mac.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #105
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Silvergate,

I agree with you, I too will never go back... at least for my own computer. Unfortunately, I am locked into Windoze at work, (they haven't seen the light)!
Old 09-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
"iWork 11" is due in the next couple of months.

I find OpenOffice is a reasonable Microsoft Office substitute for the Mac - it can do almost everything MS Office can, and is free. It interoperates with MS Office files quite well. Another advantage of OpenOffice is that it works identically on Mac, PC and Linux.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
"iWork 11" is due in the next couple of months.

I find OpenOffice is a reasonable Microsoft Office substitute for the Mac - it can do almost everything MS Office can, and is free. It interoperates with MS Office files quite well. Another advantage of OpenOffice is that it works identically on Mac, PC and Linux.
NeoOffice is another great substitute.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #108
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
It's amusing that a few of you commented on how well the Mac coordinates with the AS. When we were making our purchase my daughter actually expressed that exact sentiment!

She loves her Mac and we have found that she can submit her homework in the iWork format without saving her work as Word files. You know how well kids pick up new technology, she's actually teaching me how to use the apps (oh, the adaptability of the 12-year old mind!).

If her old Toshiba ever gives out I'm thinking of purchasing an Apple product for my next computer, but cost is a consideration.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
NeoOffice is another great substitute.
NeoOffice is based on OpenOffice, so it's always 2-3 months behind on patches and updates...
Old 09-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #110

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We are a pc house but I prefer Apple products! Were on our 3rd set of iPhones and LOVE them. We use the pcs for work but iPhones for fun. I bought my Mother the iPad and she uses it all the time.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #111
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
A year ago I bought a new honkingly fast HP desktop running Windows 7. I also have an HP PC running Vista and another desktop running XP--was to be replaced. The new HP cratered after a week, and I was appalled by HP's service, so I returned it for a refund. Then went to an Apple store and bought a 27" iMac. I love it, as most of my use is for personal stuff and photos, although I do have Office installed.

Apple is a "package" where everything works so well together, no fumbling, no mystery ... just don't try to go too deep. Frankly, Windows 7, as much as I used it, was impressive. Fast and intuitive.

So to answer you question, forget the Win/Apple holy war. Go out and buy an iPad; that's all we use in our AS when we're on the road. If I need Office, or Autocad when I'm away--I haven't yet--I'll tote my laptop.

My $.02,

Paul
Old 09-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #112
2 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport
New Market , Virginia
MAC, all the way.