Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #141
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshMD View Post
I am debating should I upgrade to lion, kind a like leopard as it is?
We have snow leopard and like it just fine. We didn't see that lion added all that much...
MikeandEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #142
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoCox View Post
once you go mac, you'll never go back!

Love! So true!
MikeandEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #143
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
Macbook Pro. Why settle for anything less?
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #144
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
I really like the Lion on my Macbook Pro but I got mine after Lion was out of the cage so I know little about the rest of the Cat family.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #145
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Recommending installing via boot camp much cleaner , better resource management, the world best PC is an Apple IMHO
I've been using Parllels. It lets me have both operating systems up and running at the same time.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:21 AM   #146
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
Prince George , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120

I've been using Parllels. It lets me have both operating systems up and running at the same time.
Do you find that parallel decrease the resource of your Mac? I have to reformat my drive and remove parallel for that reason.We are using QuickBook for our accounting program the QB is seeing the data folder as a network drive and it takes forever to read and load the data basically it become unusable. Problem goes away when we remove parallel.
mcintoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:35 AM   #147
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Winder , Georgia
Apple all the way

this household is 100% Mac. made the official transition to the macbook pro a month ago, and will never turn back. have an iPhone and iPad and am truly addicted to both. Can't wait for IOS5 to come out!
blackhawksid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #148
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Good Morning...I posted somewhere on this thread that we were PC family.

Must update...both wife and I now have MacBook Pros. Made the switch about 1 1/2 years ago and all is well.

Primary reason for the switch was PC virus issues. After many years w/o the last couple of years on the PC I was dealing with virus issues about every other month. Often took a couple of long days on the phone seeking help to finally get rid of the virus. Also, tried multiple suggested software to prevent and nothing seemed to work anymore.

Since on Mac have had no virus issues...hope this lasts.

Other than virus issues I was pretty comfortables with PC "management" and probably would not have changed. While I like the Mac just fine...I am not overwhelmed by the difference from PC. I do appreciate Applecare but my Dell support service was also quite good.

All in all...life is better and I have not had any major issues for nearly two years...TomR
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #149
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Do you find that parallel decrease the resource of your Mac? I have to reformat my drive and remove parallel for that reason.We are using QuickBook for our accounting program the QB is seeing the data folder as a network drive and it takes forever to read and load the data basically it become unusable. Problem goes away when we remove parallel.
I've not encountered that problem. However, the only software that I need Windows for is Autocad. Perhaps I don't use it enough to notice the difference. All of my other software needs are available for Mac, so I guess I've been lucky in that regard.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #150
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Daphne , Alabama
I read a business blog recently that discussed marketing techniques and corporate images.

The upshot of the article was that there is a major difference between Apple and the Microsoft based PC's. Because of the high quality, ease of use, style and reliability, Apple has created a cult. The followers have determined that anything Apple makes will be the best and it's worth paying a premium for their products.

On the other hand, most of the PC makers want to be "just good enough". There's not really much to separate any of them in terms of quality, service or image. These manufacturers just know that they will continue to get market share.

Now think about Airstream and all the SOB's (Square Old Box or Some Other Brand). It looks to me like Apple and Airstream have a lot in common.

By the way, we started the conversion to Apple about two years ago when my wife replaced her PC with a MacBook Pro. Last year we added a Mac Mini to our home entertainment system. When my Dell PC croaks, I will go with the MacBook Pro as well.
flynaxos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #151
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshMD

I had an issue with Parallels crashing my MBP. I switched (back) to VM Fusion and it's been working great. They just released version 4 which is supposed to be optimized for Lion. I think that you can still get it for $50 as an introductory price.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynaxos View Post

Now think about Airstream and all the SOB's (Square Old Box or Some Other Brand). It looks to me like Apple and Airstream have a lot in common.
My thoughts exactly. However, as someone who (in a past life) had to support a mixed Mac and PC community I'm now completely against all things Apple because their products proved to be very much form over function. Our smaller Mac group cost about three times as much to support than the larger PC group and in terms of business effort they were no better than PCs. The organisation eventually ditched the Macs and saved themselves a fortune.

However, I do recognise that as individuals, many people like the form over function thing and wouldn't part with their Apple products.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #153
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Interestingly, since switching to a mac after nearly 20 years of using PC's, I've been able to work without technical problems. No crashing, no viruses, software and hardware works without issue. The mac just works. Something that I couldn't honestly say about my PC's.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #154
3 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
waynesboro , Virginia
PC at home, ipad2 on the road
waltero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am 100% Windows on a PC. I don't like anything that is closed source. I can install anything I want anytime I want and I can build my own computers and put whatever parts I want in them. I have access to the operating system in Windows and can hack it. The cost of an apple and the software is more than a used Airstream. I can put a PC together for $500. I can get all kinds of stuff to go in the computer. I don't have to spend $1000 on an apple widget when I can get the same thing for a PC for $50. Now if all you do is surf the internet then it don’t matter what you use. If you are computer illiterate you are better off with an apple.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #156
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
MAC and only MAC so help me god.
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #157
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
If you are computer illiterate you are better off with an apple.

Perry
Hi Perry,

Actually I couldn't disagree with you more. I use Windows based PCs & Servers at work, Linux servers (at work), and an Apple Macbook Pro at home. While I agree that Windows PC hardware is commodity priced. What most people don't realize is that the same SATA hard disk in your Windows PC notebook works just fine in my MacBook Pro. I purchase my RAM from Kingston technologies for a fraction of what Apple charges for the same thing. I recently needed an External USB DVD drive and found one on Amazon for $8, sold for the PC crowd, but works perfectly on my Mac, no drivers necessary on OS-X Lion. Now the real beauty of the Mac (IMHO) lies not in the hardware, which is pretty nice by itself, but rather in its OS. Being able to open a terminal window and directly harness the power of the unix kernel is wonderful. Sadly, the Windows command prompt is more of a holdover from the days of MS-DOS. Also, while windows hardware may be cheap, check out what Microsoft charges for their server operating systems, Apple's server pricing policy is much cheaper in the long run. The chief problem with Apple, if there is one, is that a lot specialized software is written solely for Windows, but even this may be changing as the iPad had taken many specialized markets by storm. One's choice of computer is kind of like one's choice of a TV, be it Chevy, Dodge, Ford, or Toyota, none are perfect and require a trade-off somewhere.

IMHO, at the end of the day, all that really matters is that you and I both use the flavors of computers that we like and that they talk to each other, after all that is what the Internet is for.

Cheers,
Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #158
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Both !!
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #159
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
We have Macs, iPads, iPhones, and iPod Touches. No PCs at our house!
WBCCI #2515
TAC #VA-9
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #160

2011 30' Classic
Fenelon Falls , Ontario
Lovin' my MacBook Pro!
Wyndridge2 is offline   Reply With Quote