Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #181
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
The DEC PDP 8E was the first computer I ever used, i.e., programmed. It had a Model 28 Teletype unit for the I/O device, and I also had to flip a lot of toggle switches on the front panel. That was in the late 1960s. My brother owned it and tried to create and sell customized software to businesses. He got into it a bit too early.

At work I used whatever the contract called for. IBM Mainframe, Wang, Delta, XDS (Xerox), Gateway, Dell, Macs, whatever the project used. The Apple IIc was my first personal home computer. Bought it in 1982 for about $3,000. I recall people always comparing Apple to Windows units- -just like the guys in High School comparing Fords to Chevys. To me these are really silly arguments, because I use them as a tool and as an appliance and now I use them as a toy. And sometimes they use me.

I still have a working 1990 Mac Classic, a G3, a few dated Apple laptops and lots of spare parts, cables, SW and books. Now I play with my new 27-inch Mac (soon to install Lion) and enjoy the iPad. I’ve been a faithful Apple customer for almost 30 years, but to my regret I never bought any shares in the company.
Lesson Learned: In 1982 I should have put that $3K in Apple shares not their HW & SW.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #182
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley View Post
Now I play with my new 27-inch Mac (soon to install Lion) and enjoy the iPad. I’ve been a faithful Apple customer for almost 30 years, but to my regret I never bought any shares in the company.
Lesson Learned: In 1982 I should have put that $3K in Apple shares not their HW & SW.
You might want to hold off until 10.7.2 on that Lion install -- I usually only wait for 1 update with apple software, but I wish I had waited until 2! My wife and I have both had issues with this particular upgrade (slowness and memory consumption on my mb, and overheating and poor battery performance on my wife's).

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #183
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley View Post

I never bought any shares in the company.
My wife suggested I buy some Apple stock when it was around $17. I loved their computers, but didn't think the company was that stable to risk money on. She was right.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #184
Swanstreaming

2014 28' International
Zionsville , Indiana
Mac, of corse! I collect them, actually. I bought stock at $45. Not too shabby.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #185
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Fellow mac folks....in case you didn't hear today, Steve Jobs passed away.....Apple - Remembering Steve Jobs

Sad day, but not unexpected.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #186
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Heard about Steve Jobs about 2 hours ago and couldn't believe it at first.

Certainly he was brilliant, understood consumer desires and was an extremely private person. He also made not only cool products, but very reliable ones that are easy to use. Few CEO's have the vision he had and many could learn from him, notably Airstream.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #187
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
If I may,

No mater which platform, device or OS you prefer we all owe Steve a huge debt.
What would the Forum look like, if there even could have been one, without the vision and drive of a college dropout who transformed the stodgy IBM culture of the day into something that literally changed the world as we knew it.

I will be raising a glass this weekend at our Forum Rally and proposing a toast:
To Steve Jobs. A man who’s contribution to the integration of technology with human knowledge and creativity has equaled or exceeded that of Thomas Edison or Henry Ford.
A man, without whom I never could have met such a wonderfully diverse group of friends.
Thanks. See you on the other side.

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #188
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
Prince George , Virginia
Today show today has very special tribute to Steve, I felt a big lump in my throat when I heard the news. Steve has touched all of us in the way one could not imagine or even describe.

May you rest in peace, I know , I imagine god also need a man like you up there.

May god bless you and your family.

Sincerely,
mcintoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #189
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Buffalo Grove , Illinois
Mac............

If you would like to share your thoughts, memories, and condolences, please email rememberingsteve@apple.com
airhaus is offline   Reply With Quote