Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 05:38 AM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
This rant is crocodile-tears. At a dealership, all customers have the right to inspect/peruse the merchandise.
THEY MOST CERTAINLY DO NOT HAVE ANY RIGHT WHATSOEVER TO TOUCH ANY OTHER PERSON'S PERSONAL PROPERTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was standing next to the trailer, in my company issued uniform, with both of the new owners standing next to me, while I explained how to deploy their awnings. The large blue "SOLD" sign, as well as the license plate on the back, must also have been invisible.

"Crocodile-Tears"? Really?
Next time I see you at a campground, I'm going to walk up to your RV, and start rifling through it, remind you of this conversation, and see what you have to say then.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:44 AM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Looks like this ruffled a few feathers.

GOOD.

This is not the first time, it is not overreacting, and I have stood in the office at a campground and listened to Airstream owners demanding something because they felt they were owed something because of the brand of trailer they own. I have been at other RV dealers that refuse to touch an Airstream, because the Airstreamers have such a rotten reputation of demanding unreasonable services just because of the brand of trailer they own. Such as, demanding their entire trailer be washed and waxed because a technician left three dirty fingerprints on the exterior.
There are many more examples of these incidents I could list, but I have to leave for work.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt...
Old 09-13-2016, 05:45 AM   #23
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Vicki View Post
Generalizing from this single event to convicting Airstreamers of arrogance seems like a real reach to me.

John
It is not a single instance, just the latest instance. And not all, or even close to all, at a dealership, where people seem to be expected to act like complete asshats.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Good response. I had a similar thing happen to me although it wasn't on a dealers lot. I had my BMW mc parked outside a cafe where I could see it. Two men came up and started to look at the bike, not unusual, but one started to bang the windshield with a rolled up newspaper every time he spoke. I ran out to stop him. His response was its okay I own the same bike. So I asked him if he bangs the ws on his bike and if he did could I go and hit it like he's hitting mine. He stopped and walked away without saying anything more. Some people just don't think!
Old 09-13-2016, 05:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Some seem to think display trailers are there to treat roughly, slamming drawers, pulling on doors, generally misusing the vehicle to check its toughness. Then someone eventually buys this trailer with the hidden damage and comes on the forums to complain. Sometimes the enemy is us, no AS.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
The surprise to me is that anyone seems surprised. We have all seen this kind of entitled behavior our entire lives at stores, around cars, boats, RV's, in parking lots, at restaurants, etc. I have seen it even worse in Europe as a nationality thing, Americans, French, Germans, does not seem to matter.
I go for what makes me feel good at the time, usually a pithy remark, which no doubt has zero effect.
Larry
Old 09-13-2016, 07:07 AM   #27
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
The surprise to me is that anyone seems surprised. We have all seen this kind of entitled behavior our entire lives at stores, around cars, boats, RV's, in parking lots, at restaurants, etc. I have seen it even worse in Europe as a nationality thing, Americans, French, Germans, does not seem to matter.
I go for what makes me feel good at the time, usually a pithy remark, which no doubt has zero effect.
Larry
We as a group should strive to do better, and be a good example. Not an embarrassment.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:31 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
"Airstreamer Arrogance"

Title seems a bit unfair to me. After five years of hanging out around other Airstream owners they come across as some of the friendliest most inclusive people I have ever associated with. Personally I am very proud of my Airstream ownership but certainly do not think I cross the line to arrogance.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-13-2016, 07:33 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Vicki View Post
Generalizing from this single event to convicting Airstreamers of arrogance seems like a real reach to me.

John
I agree with this statement.

Bad manners on the part of one Airstreamer does not generalize to an assumption of the same by all.

Maggie
Old 09-13-2016, 07:52 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
This guys sounds like a complete asshat to me - he was raised to think being rude is ok with no common courtesy for the people, salesmen or dealers merchandise. There are many folks in todays society that are not raised with manners.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
Old 09-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #31
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Here's my $.02. I have bought two new Airstreams at Terry's dealership. He did my pre-delivery walk through both times. If Terry is as upset as this post indicates, this was more than idle provocation. So, if he had been doing the my pre-delivery on a trailer I had ordered (and had made a deposit on), and a third party began doing this to what was soon to be MY trailer, I would have been furious. Moreover, this trailer had a SOLD sign on it as well as temporary license tags. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 09-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #32
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
When we go looky-loo at new Airstreams at our local dealership, we love to walk through them, look in the closets, sit on the chairs, and look in the storage compartments outside and think about whether we should upgrade.

That said, we only do that with trailers that are obviously on display for that express purpose. Any trailer with a "sold" sign in the window and folks taking delivery is, equally obviously, off limits.

So, some folks have no clue how behave in even moderately polite society. Why is it a surprise when we see them at the Airstream dealership vs. elsewhere?

Anyhow, I recommend reducing your stress levels earlier by succinctly and clearly telling such an individual this particular trailer is off limits for visitors, and why, and then redirect them to a similar model elsewhere on the lot. That way you don't have to get all mad and vent here in the forum when the person who did that rude thing is incredibly unlikely to see it, and even if they did, they wouldn't recognize themselves. It's like spanking a dog hours later for pooping on your floor. Doesn't do any good, even if it makes you feel better for a few minutes. Next day, the dog will do the same thing again because it never got the message. Same with "customers" on your lot.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:34 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
With all the warning signs, telling this person the trailer was off limits would have fallen deaf ears.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:24 PM   #34
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I see there are some interesting responses. Some I expected, and some, honestly, I did not--at least, not from those persons.
One other thing now that has again become apparent: Just like in most other forums, not only did many people not read the entire thread before responding, many did not even bother reading the entire first post in this thread before responding.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Boy, I just have to say I see nothing good coming from this thread. Seems like it is just generating negative vibes.....
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I would have told the guy to beat it. I would just chalk it up to the significant amount of stupid/ignorant/crap people that we have to share the planet with.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Boy, I just have to say I see nothing good coming from this thread. Seems like it is just generating negative vibes.....
The Site Team agrees, and that everything that needs to be said has already been said.

Maggie