Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Airstream will not provide Recliner options for 2016

Just received word from Airstream today that no "recliner" models will be offered for 2016.

No doubt, this is because relatively few "recliner models" were ordered by dealers/customers.

Judging from the number of folks who have remodeled/removed sofas or dinettes to install recliners, it appears that there is, indeed, a noteworthy demand for recliners in Airstreams! (People who have learned from direct experience that sitting on the bench sofa becomes quite uncomfortable after about 15-30 minutes.)

But it would seem that most customers don't KNOW that they want recliners until they have lived with a bench sofa for a time, and then realize that the bench sofas are quite uncomfortable for sitting beyond about 15 to 20 minutes. Same goes with the dinette benches. They're fine for short term sitting, eating a meal, having a cocktail. Much beyond that, the body is crying out for much more comfortable long-term sitting.

The desire for retaining extra sleeping accommodations no doubt keeps some Airstream owners from replacing a sofa or a dinette with recliners. But for a lot of Airstreamers, there is little-to-no need for having the additional sleeping accommodations made possible by the sofa or dinette.

I'm disappointed that Airstream has decided to discontinue trailers with the recliner option, but am hoping that JC will at least be open to providing custom-ordered trailers without a sofa (or a dinette) for those new buyers who know right-up-front that they will be installing their own recliners in newly-ordered coaches. (That's me!)
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
the Classic has recliners
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedog1 View Post
the Classic has recliners
Yes, the Classic has a sofa with recliners... of a sort. I've sat on them. It's a sofa which has electrically-controlled partial recliners on each end.

Unfortunately, the backs do not go back more than a few inches. It's certainly a bit more comfortable than the sofas provided in all the lesser models of Airstreams, but no where near the comfort of a good reclining chair.

And with the significant price of the new Classic, which I think is a bit over-bloated with what might be termed "elegance", that's not an option I would want to exercise anyway.

What I meant to say is that the 30' Flying Cloud and 30' Signature models, which were previously offered with individual recliners, will no longer be for 2016 models. And I'm lamenting that decision.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I seem to remember that posts that you can ask for a deletion, like leave out the couch, but there is no credit given. They can do custom work over in the service center replacing whatever you have with whatever you want. Same issue has been posted on those that want 16" wheels/tires on a trailer with 15". They would sell you the wheels/tires at something like $2500 but no credit for the old tires.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
On the 2016 30' Serenity that we are ordering, we're requesting a sofa deletion and locating the inverter in a central cabinet at the front of the trailer. If JC will do this, we will put in our own recliners and all will be good. I know AS will do this AFTER market as a separate service, but I'm asking them to do this during production so we won't have to drive from Arizona to Ohio to get it done. Hope so.

BTW, you can order an AS with 16" wheels and Michelin "E"s for an up charge of about $1750. We are doing that.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:06 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
West Dummerston , Vermont
We made this exact change in our new 25' Flying Cloud. I now have a front dinette unit available if anyone is looking for one. Black Ultra Leather, Dark Table. Price - reasonable.
2008 Triton TR186
ricks-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Too bad about the discontinuation of the recliner option in 2016 models. We too sat in the recliner sofa and it was not what we were looking for, so we opted for the 2015 recliner chairs in the FC. As I've posted prior, removing the front area is not big deal, covering the wiring and inverter is not much and then installing the chairs is pretty straightforward. I would again recommend the wall hugger variety as they can go almost right up against the front of the unit.

In both units I converted the pieces I took out went into storage and then I put them back in when we sold the trailers and kept the recliners. Actually gave them to our kids.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I'm not suggesting that our solution is a panacea for all sofa/dinette issues, but we found the Airstream supplied cushions to be way too soft and simply replaced them with firmer higher quality foam cushions (at an upholsterer) using the Airstream supplied covers and now have pretty comfortable seating in our Airstream. It may not be as comfortable as a set of recliners, but it was a whole lot easier and less expensive.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:27 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Unfortunate decision by Airstream. We thought they might offer a recliner option in a mid-size model, considering the long-term comfort problems of the dinette bench seating. Nonetheless we are a resourceful group, able to customize our Airstreams to our own preferences.

It looks like Airstream will continue to design for showroom appeal (as they all do), which they have become very good at. Beautiful trailers but it's best to expect some extra work and cash after the sale to get the Airstream you really want.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
cheryl... yes, the decision was made for broad showroom appeal, given that most Airstream buyers don't seem aware (during the shopping phase) how uncomfortable the bench sofa seating is after 20-30 minutes of sitting on them.

The sofas look great and feel ok for a few minutes of sitting, while one contemplates how cool having an Airstream trailer might be. But once you're spending very much time sitting inside the trailer, the body feels the shortcomings of the sofa and dinette benches quickly.

You're right, we are a resourceful group and sofa or dinette -to- recliner changes typically are not terribly difficult to make. For my wife and myself, the change to recliners is a must. We cannot accept sitting for more than a few minutes on those beautiful, but uncomfortable bench sofas.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Recliners

I have a 25Ft 2004 and took sofa out and put two recliners La z boys in and love them. The issue in some models now is that they put converters and other
things that are not easy to move if at all under sofa or side lounge I was trying to get a 28ft 2015 and just leave sofa and dining seats out but JC said no due to gear that was under them. So I have been looking at the 30ft models but hoping to wait until 2016 to order, this news is not what I was wanting to hear. Will have to rethink what to do now. May end up keeping the one I have now. The only thing I don't like about my AS is that wt. capacity is about maxed out when ready for camping and full of fresh water. Thanks for the info may be able to give the Mrs. a push for an early trade ha ha. Good travels to all Rand
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Why not spend the money and buy comfortable outdoor furniture? We spend most of our time outside when camping. I can sit inmy recliner at home and really enjoy my folding lounge chair when camping.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #13
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Judging from the number of folks who have remodeled/removed sofas or dinettes to install recliners, it appears that there is, indeed, a noteworthy demand for recliners in Airstreams! (People who have learned from direct experience that sitting on the bench sofa becomes quite uncomfortable after about 15-30 minutes.)
Dare I say that those folks are actually the minority, and the demand isn't that high. Folks who post on forums are the minority of owners generally, especially if you have more than 10 posts.

The average majority of owners don't buy things and join forums and contribute. This is hardest to believe with enthusiast brands.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Why not spend the money and buy comfortable outdoor furniture? We spend most of our time outside when camping. I can sit inmy recliner at home and really enjoy my folding lounge chair when camping.
There in truth in that, but for some some who spend months on the road. For us 7 months a year. Right now the wind is blowing rain, about 48 degrees outside and we're sitting inside in our Airstream recliners.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

You guys remind me....I won't have my cushy leather recliner from my family room in my 16' BAMBI! "Whatever will I do? How will I relax?" Let's see...outdoors, I can kick back on my outdoor recliner, or, indoors, I can fluff up a bunch of pillows and watch a movie on the bed,...of couse, wearing silk PJs, and with a bit of cognac in my hand. OK, guys, don't get mad! I'm only jesting! However, I'll do just that! I can take some finery, Waterford Crystal to enjoy my wine or cognac. There's limited space in my itty bitty 16' BAMBI, so I'll manage to enjoy the great outdoors while traveling, and look forward to comforts of home later. BTW, as a 70+ lil' ol' lady, my joints may ache, but, I'm still gonna have fun in my Bambino! See you on the road! HAPPY TRAILS, YA'LL! Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
You guys remind me....I won't have my cushy leather recliner from my family room in my 16' BAMBI! "Whatever will I do? How will I relax?" Let's see...outdoors, I can kick back on my outdoor recliner, or, indoors, I can fluff up a bunch of pillows and watch a movie on the bed,...of couse, wearing silk PJs, and with a bit of cognac in my hand. OK, guys, don't get mad! I'm only jesting! However, I'll do just that! I can take some finery, Waterford Crystal to enjoy my wine or cognac. There's limited space in my itty bitty 16' BAMBI, so I'll manage to enjoy the great outdoors while traveling, and look forward to comforts of home later. BTW, as a 70+ lil' ol' lady, my joints may ache, but, I'm still gonna have fun in my Bambino! See you on the road! HAPPY TRAILS, YA'LL! Evelyn.
I love your attitude, Evelyn!! I hope to see you on the road sometime...we live in AZ and this July will be traveling between Phx and B.C., via Boise & Seattle area. I'll enjoy a glass of wine with you if we ever meet!
DianePhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:43 AM   #17
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Odd indeed. I bought my 2015 Cloud specifically because the dealer had one in stock with the recliners. One of my better decisions. Extremely comfortable and like adding another room to the trailer.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:11 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Recliner

I have a 2015 25ft and looking at putting in recliners. Can someone tell me what recliner to look at and what does it take to move the dinette set and install them. I am 6' 2"
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Recliners

On those rainy days its nice to have a comfy place to kick back watch TV or nap. An AS sofa is not comfy at all, unless your the only one on it. The dog thinks between my legs on the recliner is her spot she can't understand where
her spot has gone without the recliner area she just looks at me and scratches at my leg until her spot appears.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
recliners

Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
I have a 2015 25ft and looking at putting in recliners. Can someone tell me what recliner to look at and what does it take to move the dinette set and install them. I am 6' 2"
danes7 I have two la z boys Im' 6'1/2" we bought some of the smaller recliners with what they call wall a way feature you need about 3 1/2" to 4" behind recliners and they extend a good bit forward if you have a lounge along the wall they may not fit without mod. to the lounge. Measure carefully and check to be sure what AS has put under dinette and lounge. Take a trip to La z Boy dealer with a tape measure check how far they extend fully reclined. I also built some corner storage cabinets along the walls on both sides of the recliners gives me a place to put a drink and the remote also made some tables that fold away when not needed. If you have the lounge along the wall you may be able to remove one dinette seat and table and put in one recliner. Good luck Rand