Old 05-02-2015, 11:01 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
Unfortunate decision by Airstream. We thought they might offer a recliner option in a mid-size model, considering the long-term comfort problems of the dinette bench seating. Nonetheless we are a resourceful group, able to customize our Airstreams to our own preferences.

It looks like Airstream will continue to design for showroom appeal (as they all do), which they have become very good at. Beautiful trailers but it's best to expect some extra work and cash after the sale to get the Airstream you really want.

cheryl
Not the case for us; we really like the EB design!

Old 05-03-2015, 01:35 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Actually, the converter/charger is under the new cabinet next to the fridge, that is its original location. You can see the front of it, as originally designed. The factory optional 600w inverter is also in its original position in that same cabinet.

The small enclosure in the front of the trailer is for the transfer relay and solar controller, also their original position. This enclosure is behind the base of the recliner and does not interfere with the recliner in any way.

So all the electrical equipment remains in its factory position. A 110v outlet was powered and located to the street side of the center console, between the recliners. That is also the stock factory position in the 30' recliner for this console and outlet. All this makes the conversion quite simple on these 25RB models since 2012.

cheryl
Cheryl... thanks for clarifying what that all is.

Now that I understand what those utilities are, it was the transfer relay and solar controller that I was curious if it might be moved into the base of the central cabinet, just to completely clear the floor area, that's all.

I understand that it doesn't bother you where it's presently located; I was just thinking that it might be even nicer to have it all tucked away.

I STILL don't know if JC will accommodate my request to slightly modify the 30' Serenity I have on order by housing the up front utilities (whatever the device is that they put under the L-sofa on the roadside) in a central cabinet and leaving the rest of the floor space clear for my recliners. I hope to get an answer back before too long. I don't really want to have to drive all the way to JC after buying the trailer to get such a basic change made. But, I'll do what I have to do.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:40 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Not the case for us; we really like the EB design!
Good that you got it when you could. I understand that along with discontinuing the Recliner Option in the 30' models, that the Eddie Bauer model is also being discontinued. Neither have much demand, apparently.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:45 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
So all the electrical equipment remains in its factory position. A 110v outlet was powered and located to the street side of the center console, between the recliners. That is also the stock factory position in the 30' recliner for this console and outlet. All this makes the conversion quite simple on these 25RB models since 2012.

cheryl
If my wife and I didn't mind losing the dinette, kitchen counter space, and the larger storage closet, we might have seriously considered the 25RB and done exactly what you have done! That's a nice compact trailer!

We need that space where the side dinette is on the 30' models, however. And the larger storage closet and the additional kitchen counter space. We're a bit 'needy' for space when we travel (storage and workspace for photo gear, computers, radio equipment, guitars, cooking & baking stuff, guns, etc.). Fortunately, Airstream has a nice range of models to suit a variety of needs! One way or another, we'll make the 30' Serenity into what we need it to be.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:29 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Good that you got it when you could. I understand that along with discontinuing the Recliner Option in the 30' models, that the Eddie Bauer model is also being discontinued. Neither have much demand, apparently.
Speaking with my inside contact at Airstream, I was told the license agreement from EB has expired. I expect to see the design to continue because sales have been good. It just will not be called "EB". Personally I would like to see a collaboration with LL Bean.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:30 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Speaking of the Eddie Bauer 25'/27' Airstream in this recliner thread, the furnace unit sits farther ahead than the other 25'/27'FB designs leaving space for two recliners to fit quite well if the bench seats/lounge are removed. A narrower table would be needed.

We really liked the EB model and still do, but the extra $10,000 over Flying Cloud was used to add a number of useful options to our 25' FC, including the recliner/cabinet/folding table installation as well as solar, inverter, full awnings, conv/microwave, Michelin tires.

DHart, the larger 30' Airstreams have great space inside that is well-designed. Very nice to have. If we needed a larger camper, that's the one we would most probably buy. And then install recliners. Our 25' FC can seem a little tight on some of the long stays (although we are outdoor people), but when traveling, sightseeing, getting gas or lunch the compact size sure is terrific. And it's an excellent match for a light duty pickup or many SUV's, depending on the load you need to carry.

cheryl
Old 05-03-2015, 09:46 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Quote:
It is an easy conversion with the 25 Rear Bed, not so with the 25 Front Bed because the furnace is in the way. Many with 25 Front Bed have installed one recliner on the curb side and left the bench seat on the street side, modifying the table to fit.

Here's our 25 RB at Jackson Center just after the recliner installation.
Thanks, I have an email to them and this is what we want to do, as we get a little older and the old bones need a better chair to sit in once in awhile and still be able to enjoy our AS.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
What do you think the Michelin Tires did for you? over the tires that came with the AS.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Speaking with my inside contact at Airstream, I was told the license agreement from EB has expired. I expect to see the design to continue because sales have been good. It just will not be called "EB". Personally I would like to see a collaboration with LL Bean.
Yes, I just noticed that Colonial is expecting in some 2016 EB models, so perhaps the design is continuing after all. The EB is not our cup of tea, however.

Quote:
DHart, the larger 30' Airstreams have great space inside that is well-designed. Very nice to have. If we needed a larger camper, that's the one we would most probably buy. And then install recliners. Our 25' FC can seem a little tight on some of the long stays (although we are outdoor people), but when traveling, sightseeing, getting gas or lunch the compact size sure is terrific. And it's an excellent match for a light duty pickup or many SUV's, depending on the load you need to carry.

cheryl
The 30' Rear Queen Serenity (with L-sofa replaced by 2 recliners) comes closest to what we want from a trailer. Being a photographer/digital imaging artist/musician/gun shooter, I'm a bit of a "gear-oriented" person, so the extra space of the 30' is a big draw to me. Ill just have to accept the less-nimble aspects of towing a long 30' trailer.

We would be just as happy with the 30' Flying Cloud (I like the overhead cabinets in the FC better) except that in the 30' FC, AS installs cabinets over the dinette, in lieu of two Vista View windows... to us that makes the space feel more closed-in and less bright, thus our preference for the International 30 footers where you get open space over the dinette and three Vista View windows on that side. It may seem like a small difference, but it is big to us. Isn't it wonderful that AS makes a nice variety of models!
Old 05-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
What do you think the Michelin Tires did for you? over the tires that came with the AS.
The 16" Michelins give us exceptional reliability for our long and sometimes remote travel, as opposed to spotty reliability of the original Good Year Marathons.

cheryl
Old 05-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
The 16" Michelins give us exceptional reliability for our long and sometimes remote travel, as opposed to spotty reliability of the original Good Year Marathons.

cheryl
I understand that to get an "E" rated tire, you almost have to go with 16" wheels?

We decided to order the trailer with 16" wheels and Michelin "E"s from the get go, thinking it will add an extra measure of safety. I think someone mentioned that the Michelins have more plys?
Old 05-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Are the recliners bolted in place or do they sit on the floor without restraints.
Thanks
Old 05-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The 30' factory recliners have latches to hold them in place when towing. We use the same Villa recliners with no latches. They have never moved when towing.

Lately, because the trailer hitch weight is much more than the 10% needed, we have been sliding the recliners back a few feet to ease the tension needed by the weight distribution hitch when towing. With no storage in the front of our Airstream, we need a less rigid connection, softer ride for us and the trailer.

cheryl
Old 05-04-2015, 06:10 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
I haven't read thru this whole post, but yesterday we met a couple who got a sweet deal last year on a new 2013 30' International that had the two recliners in it. The reason the deal was so sweet was that nobody was interested in the two recliners and these buyers had the dealer take the recliners out and replace them with a L-shaped couch. There you have it folks. If people weren't buying them, why continue to make them? I'm also disappointed that they won't make them anymore because we're also the owners of a 27FB Flying Cloud with the uncomfortable long/short couch situation.