Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
The 16" Michelins give us exceptional reliability for our long and sometimes remote travel, as opposed to spotty reliability of the original Good Year Marathons.

cheryl
I understand that to get an "E" rated tire, you almost have to go with 16" wheels?

We decided to order the trailer with 16" wheels and Michelin "E"s from the get go, thinking it will add an extra measure of safety. I think someone mentioned that the Michelins have more plys?
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Are the recliners bolted in place or do they sit on the floor without restraints.
Thanks
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The 30' factory recliners have latches to hold them in place when towing. We use the same Villa recliners with no latches. They have never moved when towing.

Lately, because the trailer hitch weight is much more than the 10% needed, we have been sliding the recliners back a few feet to ease the tension needed by the weight distribution hitch when towing. With no storage in the front of our Airstream, we need a less rigid connection, softer ride for us and the trailer.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:10 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
I haven't read thru this whole post, but yesterday we met a couple who got a sweet deal last year on a new 2013 30' International that had the two recliners in it. The reason the deal was so sweet was that nobody was interested in the two recliners and these buyers had the dealer take the recliners out and replace them with a L-shaped couch. There you have it folks. If people weren't buying them, why continue to make them? I'm also disappointed that they won't make them anymore because we're also the owners of a 27FB Flying Cloud with the uncomfortable long/short couch situation.
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:07 AM   #85
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbroedlow View Post
I haven't read thru this whole post, but yesterday we met a couple who got a sweet deal last year on a new 2013 30' International that had the two recliners in it. The reason the deal was so sweet was that nobody was interested in the two recliners and these buyers had the dealer take the recliners out and replace them with a L-shaped couch . . .
Would you kindly provide the name of the dealership who took the recliners, console, and is folding table out of that unit. There may be some folks interested in those parts, near $3,000 retail from Airstream. The Villa recliners are $1,500 retail wherever you buy them.

cheryl
Old 05-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbroedlow View Post
I haven't read thru this whole post, but yesterday we met a couple who got a sweet deal last year on a new 2013 30' International that had the two recliners in it. The reason the deal was so sweet was that nobody was interested in the two recliners and these buyers had the dealer take the recliners out and replace them with a L-shaped couch. There you have it folks. If people weren't buying them, why continue to make them? I'm also disappointed that they won't make them anymore because we're also the owners of a 27FB Flying Cloud with the uncomfortable long/short couch situation.
Funny, isn't it. Nobody wants the recliners... until they've lived with the uncomfortable sofas for awhile. THEN they realize that the recliners are vastly superior for sitting (and reclining) comfort and many of them do the conversion to recliners at that time.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
How about used airliner seats? The business-class/first-class seats are comfortable, durable, are usually made of real leather, recline, and are constructed using the lightest materials possible. I saw something like this ($60 for the pair) in a catalogue from a used aircraft parts distributor. They detach, so you should be able to get them through the door. They also bolt to the floor. No worries about moving around while in transit! Heck, they even come with the drink/food/magazine caddy in between.

The only thing you'd have to do is remove the seatbelts - although I think I would leave them in (for the kewl factor).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	used airliner seats.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	237768  
Old 05-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #88

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I can't think of an airplane seat I have encountered I would consider comfortable, then again I fly coach on cheap airlines!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:12 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Airplane seats would look sort of cool in an Airstream.

But while First Class airplane seats are an improvement over coach seats, they fall far short of what a good quality recliner can offer.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #90
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
Quote:
Would you kindly provide the name of the dealership who took the recliners, console, and is folding table out of that unit. There may be some folks interested in those parts, near $3,000 retail from Airstream. The Villa recliners are $1,500 retail wherever you buy them.

cheryl
I don't have that information but do know that the dealer who took out the two recliners and replaced with an L-shaped couch was from Southern California.
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:56 AM   #91
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
This is what I built in our previous 25' FB. Total cost $250 using the recliner from a previous 5th wheel and the cost of a used flip top

>>ron<<
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	my solution (1).JPG
Views:	171
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	237837  
Old 05-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #92
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Out with the old and in with the used!

Old bench sofa bed broken down and ready for storage and the new (to us) Best Club Chairs in it's place. I firmed up the seats with 2x2 sheets of Masonite. All around a inexpensive fix to a costly problem but so comfortable compared to the Flex Steel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	flex steel factory sofa bed storage 2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	237851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Best Club Chairs.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	237852  

Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Alice&Billis... those Best Club Chairs look great! I'm a big fan of Best; I love the Best Picot Rocker/Swivel/Recliners that we use.

Tell me about the firming up with Masonite... did you just find the seats a bit too soft? Where did you put the masonite?
Old 05-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
These chairs weren't new, so the suspension, springs, and banding were very giving, but you can make them better with a board underneath them so it's right underneath the cushion. Thanks!
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

Peoria , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Good that you got it when you could. I understand that along with discontinuing the Recliner Option in the 30' models, that the Eddie Bauer model is also being discontinued. Neither have much demand, apparently.
Oh boy...we want the 30 with recliners...probably a 2016 or 17 model by the time we are ready. We're certain about this.
kb7our is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #96
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We just talked to our local dealer about ordering a 30' Recliner model for 2016. They are ordering 2016 stock now and the recliner option is still available.

I also asked whether our Jackson Center conversion to recliners, console, folding side table and custom storage cabinet would affect the trade-in value of our 2012 FC 25' and he said not at all, it was nicely done with a factory look and would be quite desirable to some customers. We asked Colonial Airstream the same question and Patrick said the value with or without the recliner conversion would be the same on our 2012.

So we are going ahead with our plan to sell the original dinette assembly after storing it for two years.

cheryl
Old 05-08-2015, 12:30 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
We just talked to our local dealer about ordering a 30' Recliner model for 2016. They are ordering 2016 stock now and the recliner option is still available.

I also asked whether our Jackson Center conversion to recliners, console, folding side table and custom storage cabinet would affect the trade-in value of our 2012 FC 25' and he said not at all, it was nicely done with a factory look and would be quite desirable to some customers. We asked Colonial Airstream the same question and Patrick said the value with or without the recliner conversion would be the same on our 2012.

So we are going ahead with our plan to sell the original dinette assembly after storing it for two years.

cheryl
Cheryl... I hope your dealer is right about the 2016 30' recliner option availability, and our dealer is wrong. I will inquire with our dealer on this again!
Old 05-08-2015, 06:40 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Factory Recliners

I am very happy with my recliners. Although i may be altering them slightly so as to have them lean back an inch more.

But, a note about aircraft seats...as they manufacture seats a few miles from me....BE Aerospace....and I know some of the folks there, some of the first class seats can cost over $20,000 and up.

Thus, used seats may need careful examination, as we usually get what we pay for.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #99
2 Rivet Member

Peoria , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Just received word from Airstream today that no "recliner" models will be offered for 2016.

No doubt, this is because relatively few "recliner models" were ordered by dealers/customers.

Judging from the number of folks who have remodeled/removed sofas or dinettes to install recliners, it appears that there is, indeed, a noteworthy demand for recliners in Airstreams! (People who have learned from direct experience that sitting on the bench sofa becomes quite uncomfortable after about 15-30 minutes.)

But it would seem that most customers don't KNOW that they want recliners until they have lived with a bench sofa for a time, and then realize that the bench sofas are quite uncomfortable for sitting beyond about 15 to 20 minutes. Same goes with the dinette benches. They're fine for short term sitting, eating a meal, having a cocktail. Much beyond that, the body is crying out for much more comfortable long-term sitting.

The desire for retaining extra sleeping accommodations no doubt keeps some Airstream owners from replacing a sofa or a dinette with recliners. But for a lot of Airstreamers, there is little-to-no need for having the additional sleeping accommodations made possible by the sofa or dinette.

I'm disappointed that Airstream has decided to discontinue trailers with the recliner option, but am hoping that JC will at least be open to providing custom-ordered trailers without a sofa (or a dinette) for those new buyers who know right-up-front that they will be installing their own recliners in newly-ordered coaches. (That's me!)
Well stated and I'm on board! After a long day of playing outdoors when we travel (hiking, driving, sight-seeing, etc.) it's nice to have a place to sit down and "relax" in comfortable seating. Bring back the recliner option!!!
kb7our is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
0While my local dealer informed me that their Airstream Sales Rep stated "no recliner models for 2016", another forum member here was told by their dealer that the recliner option WILL be available for 2016.

SO.... this apparent conflict of reports is likely to be resolved later this week during the AIRSTREAM/DEALER meeting that is going to take place. Hopefully the news by week's end will be that the recliner option WILL be offered again!