Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2015, 10:10 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
Your 25' Rear Bed model is the only current mid-size Airstream than leaves the front and the sides of your Airstream open for a simple conversion when the bench seats and table are removed.

We had our conversion done at Jackson Center Airstream Service Center. Two recliners, folding side table, center console with electrical outlet, all from Airstream 30' Recliner Model production line, plus custom built storage cabinet over the converter/charger and a small cabinet to cover front electrical relays, something less than two days labor and Flying Cloud cabinet sheet stock, hinges, pulls, latches etc to match our interior run us about $4,000.

Here's some in-process photos I took.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/398600...7637145551816/

cheryl
Beautiful job, Cheryl... I'm sure you're loving the comfort and versatilty (turning around to see out the front of the coach!
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:36 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
West Dummerston , Vermont
Here is our setup..... We purchased the recliners at Camping World for around $300 Each. The Storage Cabinet cost us also in the area of $300.
2008 Triton TR186
ricks-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Thanks for the pictures, This is what I want to do, Questions:
How did you pick this place in Ohio to do the work, I live in AZ and the Airstream here does not do this conversion.

How much notice did they need to do the job? and did they get the chairs and cabinets for you?
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
Thanks for the pictures, This is what I want to do, Questions:
How did you pick this place in Ohio to do the work, I live in AZ and the Airstream here does not do this conversion.

How much notice did they need to do the job? and did they get the chairs and cabinets for you?
On the Jackson Center conversion, this is the Airstream factory Service Center, right next door to the factory. We picked them because they have everything needed right at hand and the experience to do it right. We made the appointment several months ahead, and they had the components ready from the factory when we arrived. Except the custom storage cabinet over the converter, which they made while there. We pulled all the original seating and table out before leaving home, an easy two hour job with a screwdriver.

We worked it into a trip to the east coast, along with a few other maintenance items. They were done with it all in two days, provided fee camping, and pulled our Airstream out each evening for us to use.

This past year we added drawers from Amazon to the storage cabinet to make it work better for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2531.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	237600  
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
After reading these posts i am now interested in putting in recliners in lieu of the seats that came with our AS. As it is a 2012 25' FC with the bedroom in the rear. If based on the photos I have seen in this thread the best I would be able to do is add one recliner on the door side. Am I correct and who would do this type of work? Would I need to go to Jackson to get it done

I made a mistake it is 2012 25' FC front bedroom so is it possible to add at least one recliner?

Thanks
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice&Billis View Post
I really enjoyed this conversation...now for an opinion. What would you do with the old unwanted couch? Store it, sell it, trash it? Alice seems to have this idea that some man and woman with a child in the future may want this coach and will need the couch as a place for the kid(s) to sleep. I don't think that many young couples with one child would want a 25 ft Airstream. Like many of us who are Airstream owners of the 25 foot models, who have made modifications and conversions and know they are sized perfectly for two adults with a place to sleep and a place to rest. The stock mattresses, which are another entire chapter were sold and discarded three years ago with custom foam corner contour mattresses.
Alice and Bill:

I've done this conversion on two different AS we have owned, a 25' FC and a 30' FC and in both instances we have kept the parts taken out, wrapped them up in large garbage bags, stored them in our garage and I've put them back in when we sold the trailers. Not a big deal and in both cases we got more for the trailers than if we had left the recliners in.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
On the Jackson Center conversion, this is the Airstream factory Service Center, right next door to the factory. We picked them because they have everything needed right at hand and the experience to do it right. We made the appointment several months ahead, and they had the components ready from the factory when we arrived. Except the custom storage cabinet over the converter, which they made while there. We pulled all the original seating and table out before leaving home, an easy two hour job with a screwdriver.

We worked it into a trip to the east coast, along with a few other maintenance items. They were done with it all in two days, provided fee camping, and pulled our Airstream out each evening for us to use.

This past year we added drawers from Amazon to the storage cabinet to make it work better for us.
Doug, those shelves look good. I pulled the folding table out its storage spot this morning to make a bit of extra useful storage space. Might have to look at shelving to make it even more versatile.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
After reading these posts i am now interested in putting in recliners in lieu of the seats that came with our AS. As it is a 2012 25' FC with the bedroom in the rear. If based on the photos I have seen in this thread the best I would be able to do is add one recliner on the door side. Am I correct and who would do this type of work? Would I need to go to Jackson to get it done

I made a mistake it is 2012 25' FC front bedroom so is it possible to add at least one recliner?
Thanks
Very easy to add one recliner, many have done this and they look really good. It also solves that problem of that somewhat short bench seat by the door where your legs hang over when stretching out.

Use the search to see examples. Just a matter of removing the bench seat by the door, and most have cut down the table for enough recliner space, or replaced the table with something else.

Our recliners (the Airstream Villa type) have never moved while towing over many, many thousands of miles, though they are not fastened down.

cheryl
Old 05-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:

Cheryl.... I noticed that you left the converter (or inverter?) on the floor, road-side and covered it with a short enclosure. Was there any discussion about what would have been required to relocate that to the cabinet that you had built in the center area, to clear that floor space? I'm pretty sure that it could be moved, just wondering about cost.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:01 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Actually, the converter/charger is under the new cabinet next to the fridge, that is its original location. You can see the front of it, as originally designed. The factory optional 600w inverter is also in its original position in that same cabinet.

The small enclosure in the front of the trailer is for the transfer relay and solar controller, also their original position. This enclosure is behind the base of the recliner and does not interfere with the recliner in any way.

So all the electrical equipment remains in its factory position. A 110v outlet was powered and located to the street side of the center console, between the recliners. That is also the stock factory position in the 30' recliner for this console and outlet. All this makes the conversion quite simple on these 25RB models since 2012.

cheryl
Old 05-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Unfortunate decision by Airstream. We thought they might offer a recliner option in a mid-size model, considering the long-term comfort problems of the dinette bench seating. Nonetheless we are a resourceful group, able to customize our Airstreams to our own preferences.

It looks like Airstream will continue to design for showroom appeal (as they all do), which they have become very good at. Beautiful trailers but it's best to expect some extra work and cash after the sale to get the Airstream you really want.

cheryl
Not the case for us; we really like the EB design!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:35 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Actually, the converter/charger is under the new cabinet next to the fridge, that is its original location. You can see the front of it, as originally designed. The factory optional 600w inverter is also in its original position in that same cabinet.

The small enclosure in the front of the trailer is for the transfer relay and solar controller, also their original position. This enclosure is behind the base of the recliner and does not interfere with the recliner in any way.

So all the electrical equipment remains in its factory position. A 110v outlet was powered and located to the street side of the center console, between the recliners. That is also the stock factory position in the 30' recliner for this console and outlet. All this makes the conversion quite simple on these 25RB models since 2012.

cheryl
Cheryl... thanks for clarifying what that all is.

Now that I understand what those utilities are, it was the transfer relay and solar controller that I was curious if it might be moved into the base of the central cabinet, just to completely clear the floor area, that's all.

I understand that it doesn't bother you where it's presently located; I was just thinking that it might be even nicer to have it all tucked away.

I STILL don't know if JC will accommodate my request to slightly modify the 30' Serenity I have on order by housing the up front utilities (whatever the device is that they put under the L-sofa on the roadside) in a central cabinet and leaving the rest of the floor space clear for my recliners. I hope to get an answer back before too long. I don't really want to have to drive all the way to JC after buying the trailer to get such a basic change made. But, I'll do what I have to do.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:40 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Not the case for us; we really like the EB design!
Good that you got it when you could. I understand that along with discontinuing the Recliner Option in the 30' models, that the Eddie Bauer model is also being discontinued. Neither have much demand, apparently.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:45 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:

cheryl
If my wife and I didn't mind losing the dinette, kitchen counter space, and the larger storage closet, we might have seriously considered the 25RB and done exactly what you have done! That's a nice compact trailer!

We need that space where the side dinette is on the 30' models, however. And the larger storage closet and the additional kitchen counter space. We're a bit 'needy' for space when we travel (storage and workspace for photo gear, computers, radio equipment, guitars, cooking & baking stuff, guns, etc.). Fortunately, Airstream has a nice range of models to suit a variety of needs! One way or another, we'll make the 30' Serenity into what we need it to be.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:29 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Good that you got it when you could. I understand that along with discontinuing the Recliner Option in the 30' models, that the Eddie Bauer model is also being discontinued. Neither have much demand, apparently.
Speaking with my inside contact at Airstream, I was told the license agreement from EB has expired. I expect to see the design to continue because sales have been good. It just will not be called "EB". Personally I would like to see a collaboration with LL Bean.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:30 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Speaking of the Eddie Bauer 25'/27' Airstream in this recliner thread, the furnace unit sits farther ahead than the other 25'/27'FB designs leaving space for two recliners to fit quite well if the bench seats/lounge are removed. A narrower table would be needed.

We really liked the EB model and still do, but the extra $10,000 over Flying Cloud was used to add a number of useful options to our 25' FC, including the recliner/cabinet/folding table installation as well as solar, inverter, full awnings, conv/microwave, Michelin tires.

DHart, the larger 30' Airstreams have great space inside that is well-designed. Very nice to have. If we needed a larger camper, that's the one we would most probably buy. And then install recliners. Our 25' FC can seem a little tight on some of the long stays (although we are outdoor people), but when traveling, sightseeing, getting gas or lunch the compact size sure is terrific. And it's an excellent match for a light duty pickup or many SUV's, depending on the load you need to carry.

cheryl
Old 05-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Quote:
It is an easy conversion with the 25 Rear Bed, not so with the 25 Front Bed because the furnace is in the way. Many with 25 Front Bed have installed one recliner on the curb side and left the bench seat on the street side, modifying the table to fit.

Here's our 25 RB at Jackson Center just after the recliner installation.
Thanks, I have an email to them and this is what we want to do, as we get a little older and the old bones need a better chair to sit in once in awhile and still be able to enjoy our AS.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
What do you think the Michelin Tires did for you? over the tires that came with the AS.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Speaking with my inside contact at Airstream, I was told the license agreement from EB has expired. I expect to see the design to continue because sales have been good. It just will not be called "EB". Personally I would like to see a collaboration with LL Bean.
Yes, I just noticed that Colonial is expecting in some 2016 EB models, so perhaps the design is continuing after all. The EB is not our cup of tea, however.

Quote:
DHart, the larger 30' Airstreams have great space inside that is well-designed. Very nice to have. If we needed a larger camper, that's the one we would most probably buy. And then install recliners. Our 25' FC can seem a little tight on some of the long stays (although we are outdoor people), but when traveling, sightseeing, getting gas or lunch the compact size sure is terrific. And it's an excellent match for a light duty pickup or many SUV's, depending on the load you need to carry.

cheryl
The 30' Rear Queen Serenity (with L-sofa replaced by 2 recliners) comes closest to what we want from a trailer. Being a photographer/digital imaging artist/musician/gun shooter, I'm a bit of a "gear-oriented" person, so the extra space of the 30' is a big draw to me. Ill just have to accept the less-nimble aspects of towing a long 30' trailer.

We would be just as happy with the 30' Flying Cloud (I like the overhead cabinets in the FC better) except that in the 30' FC, AS installs cabinets over the dinette, in lieu of two Vista View windows... to us that makes the space feel more closed-in and less bright, thus our preference for the International 30 footers where you get open space over the dinette and three Vista View windows on that side. It may seem like a small difference, but it is big to us. Isn't it wonderful that AS makes a nice variety of models!
Old 05-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
What do you think the Michelin Tires did for you? over the tires that came with the AS.
The 16" Michelins give us exceptional reliability for our long and sometimes remote travel, as opposed to spotty reliability of the original Good Year Marathons.

cheryl