Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Findlay , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Allyson... congrats on your new coach! It won't be long now. And, I'm glad you found some enhanced seating comfort for the new rig!

Thank you! We will try to report on the comfort level during our first road trip. Time will tell.

Allyson

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
PurdueMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:52 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
This is actually not the news I was hoping to hear. We have been suffering with crappy seating in our 28' and because of the hot water heater, investor and other stuff the mothership tell me they would not undertake a conversion to recliners. As a result we were actually thinking about upgrading to a 2016 to get recliners. Now we will have to come up with a plan "b" if possible.....

Old 04-29-2015, 10:29 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
got tired of the bench sofa today!

Quote:
Dare if you wish; that's bold!

And, of course, what is of the majority, or the minority means absolutely nothing to one's individual wishes. I'm rarely in step with the majority, anyway, which is really fine by me.

I'm sure that it is a small minority of Airstream owners who actually see to it to get comfortable recliners in their Airstreams. That said, I'm sure there is a sizably larger group of Airstreamers who would be absolutely delighted to have comfy recliners in place of the bench sofa. They just haven't/can't/won't do what needs to be done to make the change. And that's ok with me too. I'm only concerned with how my Airstream is set up.
After a 4 day camping trip, back and legs hurting from sitting, (we had a lot of rain and high winds) on the stupid bench couch, I finally found two matching lightly used Best Club Chairs at my local resale shop. I measured and decided the 38x38 inch footprint would work and it did. They don't recline, or rock, or swivel but are they comfortable and lend a very nice upholstered look. They slid around the door on their sides and cozy up against the wall just below the front window. I left the built in storage arm rests in place. With an investment of $125 a chair, this give us an affordable way to try it out and if we like it, we can always replace them later on.
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:37 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice&Billis View Post
After a 4 day camping trip, back and legs hurting from sitting, (we had a lot of rain and high winds) on the stupid bench couch, I finally found two matching lightly used Best Club Chairs at my local resale shop. I measured and decided the 38x38 inch footprint would work and it did. They don't recline, or rock, or swivel but are they comfortable and lend a very nice upholstered look. They slid around the door on their sides and cozy up against the wall just below the front window. I left the built in storage arm rests in place. With an investment of $125 a chair, this give us an affordable way to try it out and if we like it, we can always replace them later on.
Alice & Billis... I understand your situation, even though I've never had to endure any prolonged seating on RV bench sofas. I'm glad you were able to find some seating alternative that beats the crappy bench sofa for longer-term relaxing.

Recognizing the very time-limited enjoyment the common RV sofa (including high-end models by Villa), I always saw to it that recliners were part of the picture in all of the RVs we've had (one 5th wheel followed by two diesel pushers). And now, as we approach our first Airstream, I'm going to do whatever it takes to make space (i.e. sofa deletion) for the two new recliners we've just ordered for the on-order Airstream (2016 30' Serenity).

The recliners we ordered are a second set of ones we've had in our last two coaches. TO be sure of the fit, I did a to-scale floorpan of the 30' Serenity with the recliners in closed, foot rest-up, and fully-reclined positions:

The chairs are Best Furniture "Picot" model in genuine leather, with the "swivel, rocker, recliner" option:

http://www.besthf.com/best/Furniture...s/Medium/PICOT

They are supremely comfortable for sitting, reclining, and I will admit to spending a good bit of time in them.... sleeping! Anyone who might be interested in these can seek out a local furniture shop that carries Best Furniture.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:11 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
This is actually not the news I was hoping to hear. We have been suffering with crappy seating in our 28' and because of the hot water heater, investor and other stuff the mothership tell me they would not undertake a conversion to recliners. As a result we were actually thinking about upgrading to a 2016 to get recliners. Now we will have to come up with a plan "b" if possible.....

ArticFox... we are currently inquiring with JC about the possibility of providing a 2016 30' International Serenity with:

1) sofa deleted
2) inverter placed in a central cabinet between where two recliners would be positioned, so that the floorspace is clear.

If JC is willing to do that much, it would be a simple matter to bring your chosen recliners into the coach and off you go, with great seating comfort assured!

If they are not willing to do this, we will just order the unit with no sofa and no inverter. Then we will handle to necessary modifications, after purchase. Great seating comfort is a requirement for us as we intend to use the coach as more than just a "weekender." We will travel with it for weeks at a stretch, possibly even two or three months, at a stretch.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:14 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Light weight recliners

If one searches the internet, there are many variations in recliners, some with ottomans, but overall much lighter weight than a standard recliner. I think this could be a nice way to go if one can have the sofa deleted, or, possibly sell the sofa post delivery.

JC will do almost anything, as I understand it, but, the cost factor may be high. Once a unit leaves the production line it is taken over to the service center where the specific changes are completed. Or, at least this is what I have been told when my Serenity was built with some additions such as a Sirius/XM antenna installed at the factory along with a receiver for this.

Some of us are into DYI, maybe this is a good way to handle the recliner issue.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:47 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
ArticFox... we are currently inquiring with JC about the possibility of providing a 2016 30' International Serenity with:

1) sofa deleted
2) inverter placed in a central cabinet between where two recliners would be positioned, so that the floorspace is clear.

If JC is willing to do that much, it would be a simple matter to bring your chosen recliners into the coach and off you go, with great seating comfort assured!

If they are not willing to do this, we will just order the unit with no sofa and no inverter. Then we will handle to necessary modifications, after purchase. Great seating comfort is a requirement for us as we intend to use the coach as more than just a "weekender." We will travel with it for weeks at a stretch, possibly even two or three months, at a stretch.
Please keep us posted on how this sorts out.....
Thanks

Doug
Old 04-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #48

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Here is my DIY in progress. Moving the heater on our 27FB. All seating removed, a small bar/work space and 2 recliners to comeClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1430408407.227760.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	237462Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1430408440.364052.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	237463

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
As mentioned, there are hundreds of different recliner options out there, but when it comes right down to it, relatively few of them may suit your Airstream needs ideally.

Overall size is, of course, #1. It's got to fit in the coach! And weight usually goes hand-in-hand with overall size. A compact form factor in the coach is important. For an 8'1" interior, that means a chair width of around 34" maximum.

And right along with that is comfort... if I can't sit in one on a showroom floor to determine the exact feel of the recliner, I won't order one. A lot of recliners look alike, but feel completely different. If you're going to make the effort to convert to recliners, you might as well see to it that they're as comfortable as you would want them to be.

Beyond that, it is important to us that the chairs swivel, so we can turn to sit facing out the windows, or back toward the cabin of the coach. We also like the rocking capability. And, of course, it must recline and do so far enough to really be able to lay way back and take a nap, if you want to.

The chairs we selected (see above post) meet all of our requirements. And having lived with a pair of them for four years already in our diesel pushers, it was an easy choice to make again.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:11 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Replace w/Recliners

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks-vt View Post
We made this exact change in our new 25' Flying Cloud. I now have a front dinette unit available if anyone is looking for one. Black Ultra Leather, Dark Table. Price - reasonable.
Can you send me a pictures of your recliners, I am looking to do the same,
David
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
I really enjoyed this conversation...now for an opinion. What would you do with the old unwanted couch? Store it, sell it, trash it? Alice seems to have this idea that some man and woman with a child in the future may want this coach and will need the couch as a place for the kid(s) to sleep. I don't think that many young couples with one child would want a 25 ft Airstream. Like many of us who are Airstream owners of the 25 foot models, who have made modifications and conversions and know they are sized perfectly for two adults with a place to sleep and a place to rest. The stock mattresses, which are another entire chapter were sold and discarded three years ago with custom foam corner contour mattresses.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Mine came apart in nice storable parts. Next owner might want to put it back in.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have stored our dinette assembly for two years, we think the Airstream is better for us with recliners so listed it on Craigslist today.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
After reading these posts i am now interested in putting in recliners in lieu of the seats that came with our AS. As it is a 2012 25' FC with the bedroom in the rear. If based on the photos I have seen in this thread the best I would be able to do is add one recliner on the door side. Am I correct and who would do this type of work? Would I need to go to Jackson to get it done
Thanks
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
After reading these posts i am now interested in putting in recliners in lieu of the seats that came with our AS. As it is a 2012 25' FC with the bedroom in the rear. If based on the photos I have seen in this thread the best I would be able to do is add one recliner on the door side. Am I correct and who would do this type of work? Would I need to go to Jackson to get it done
Thanks
Your 25' Rear Bed model is the only current mid-size Airstream than leaves the front and the sides of your Airstream open for a simple conversion when the bench seats and table are removed.

We had our conversion done at Jackson Center Airstream Service Center. Two recliners, folding side table, center console with electrical outlet, all from Airstream 30' Recliner Model production line, plus custom built storage cabinet over the converter/charger and a small cabinet to cover front electrical relays, something less than two days labor and Flying Cloud cabinet sheet stock, hinges, pulls, latches etc to match our interior run us about $4,000.

Here's some in-process photos I took.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/398600...7637145551816/

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #56

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Alice & Billis... I understand your situation, even though I've never had to endure any prolonged seating on RV bench sofas. I'm glad you were able to find some seating alternative that beats the crappy bench sofa for longer-term relaxing.

Recognizing the very time-limited enjoyment the common RV sofa (including high-end models by Villa), I always saw to it that recliners were part of the picture in all of the RVs we've had (one 5th wheel followed by two diesel pushers). And now, as we approach our first Airstream, I'm going to do whatever it takes to make space (i.e. sofa deletion) for the two new recliners we've just ordered for the on-order Airstream (2016 30' Serenity).

The recliners we ordered are a second set of ones we've had in our last two coaches. TO be sure of the fit, I did a to-scale floorpan of the 30' Serenity with the recliners in closed, foot rest-up, and fully-reclined positions:

The chairs are Best Furniture "Picot" model in genuine leather, with the "swivel, rocker, recliner" option:

http://www.besthf.com/best/Furniture...s/Medium/PICOT

They are supremely comfortable for sitting, reclining, and I will admit to spending a good bit of time in them.... sleeping! Anyone who might be interested in these can seek out a local furniture shop that carries Best Furniture.

Local store didn't have these on display. Said we could not get swivel with wall-hugger. Are yours wall-jiggers?

sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Local store didn't have these on display. Said we could not get swivel with wall-hugger. Are yours wall-huggers?

sheriff... I don't think our recliners are considered to be "wall huggers". If we anticipate the need for full-horizontal reclining, we're fine with moving them a bit out from the wall for that; it's easy to do... and a small effort to make given that the recliners have rocker capability, 360 degree-swivel capability, and they recline to near horizontal.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Mine came apart in nice storable parts. Next owner might want to put it back in.
Guess I'll break it down, box and seal it well then store it in the barn!
Old 05-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Asheville , North Carolina
Wow ckottum that's really nice, to bad I have the FB
CaptMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
I'm sure the factory install recliners are very comfortable, but they always looked "strange" somehow to me. Like the trailer is going to drive off.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote