Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Jayco will definitely have more walk-around room and storage.
The Airstream will tow better and get better mpg.
It's a trade-off.
Just 2 of us in a 30' Airstream works, even though we have less walkaround room and storage than we did in our previous white square trailer with a long slide for the couch and dinette booth.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Think of it as you would evaluating a car. family of 5, friends ride along you need space for 6-7 in the car. So you get a car that fits the need and the all important budget. Later in life maybe requirements change and you think more upscale, higher quality, fewer seats (beds in the case of the RV). Even now with so many Airstreams being sold each year we are often the only AS in the park surrounded by all brand, model, type, and age of RV and, for the most part, very happy people having a great time. It's not about the brand of the trailer it's about getting out and having some fun. I am quite confident that there is no special air that they put in an AS that makes it different as a memory maker than any other brand. After a year you will have loads of fun memories and few to none of them will have anything to do with what kind of trailer you were using, I can speak from experience because we trailered as a family when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's and our AS was an enabler for us - it was the vehicle to financially allow us to travel for weeks on end with a family of 6.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Jayco or another SOB; hands down! BUT, I would suggest "used" for your journey...less depreciation than new, and likely you will be able to recoup most of your investment. We have owned 4 trailers and a class A motor home. The motor home and pop-up were both "used", and we took our 4 kids with us everywhere while camping and exploring the US. The motor home was a money pit and we lost big time when we sold it. The pop-up was also used, but we traveled around North America including Canada, with 4 bikes on top, for 5 weeks with no issues other than a tire blowout. When we sold the pop-up, we actually had people standing in line to buy it and we made a $1,000! We also have broken even or made a little money on a used Casita and 2 older AS models we have owned prior to current model. Too many folks have gotten the bug and purchased new, only to find out it was not what they had expected and now they have to take a loss on a "new" purchase. Just saying... You can always come back to an AS even a new one, and you will have a lot of experience to help you on your next decision without breaking the bank.
Good luck on your adventure!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #24
MOS
3 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Queensbury , New York
Buy a used sticks and tin TT with slides .
But not Jayco. I had two of them and they were junk to put it nicely !
MOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Put the kids up for adoption, buy an Airstream. Easy.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Haslet , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
LOL! I hadn't considered that option! I guess it's all about priorities...
JuryDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Head west is obviously the smartest guy in the room.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westminster , California
After tents, a cab-over camper and 4 pull trailers I got the hots last April to move up to an AS. Especially liked the floor plan of the 25 and 27 FQ's. Did a lot of reading and lurking around the forum and ended up getting an Outdoors RV Titanium without a slide. We figure we probably have 10 more years before rv-ing becomes too physically demanding as we are in our early 70's now. A good trailer, kept up, will last us more than 10 years, easily. Our others did just fine, bought used in excellent condition, sold when still in very good condition for top dollar. Now, a new AS, out the door was going to be up over 80K and at the end of 10 years would probably go for 50K. Give or take a little. So that's 30K of depreciation. Whereas our new little box trailer, at rv show discount, went for 32K and, we expect we can probably be able to sell it in 10 years for at least 10K. So our depreciation cost, in dollars, should be less. And, we saved over 45K right off the bat! License and insurance was less also. In addition, we really needed a 4-season trailer and the AS, although well insulated, is not a 4-season trailer. Don't know much about Jayco, understand they have a better reputation now than 20 years ago. For us, rv-ing in all seasons, a 4-season trailer was pretty much necessary. This is our story, and our opinion. There are many others. Good luck, have fun!
ralphcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
I only saw the interior of two RVs in my life: a Jayco which I almost buy but somehow the cabinetry and finishing turned me off, so I took time to think. Next day I saw (for the first time) an AS FC27FB and in 20 minutes I bought it. I think that for some of us, it is a question of 'love', we can't resist the quality, attention to detail, finishing, etc. of Airstream and we 'need to have it'. I don't regret it for a sec, love it more each day. Going strictly by reason, probably a Dutchman or any of the others I saw last week at the Denver RV show will make more sense and save us a lot of money. Some fifth wheelers/toy haulers are true homes on wheels, complete with Onan generator, kitchen with an island, fridge and freezer side by side, fireplace, lots of room. Cheaper than AS by the way. Still, I would not trade my AS for any of them. Ultimately, how you 'feel' being in one is what decided for us. With a large family... nope. I would not feel good inside any AS with 5 people, would be to many for comfort and not enough space for stuff.
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Your children will cherish the family time, the trip memories and the adventures!!!! The box they sleep in is just stuff. Keep your attitude positive, keep scrapbooks and or a family blog, carry a few books about birds, fish and wildlife so you can identify stuff... that insane chicken looking thing WAS a roadrunner! And renember the picture of you with a bee sting on your nose will eventually BE funny.

You've already decided to make the best investment you'll ever make. Happy memories.

Paula
Old 01-11-2017, 06:03 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
30 years ago we started out with a used Airstream Argosy. There was only the 2 of us, the Argosy was a 20' single axle that we pulled with a Volvo 4 cyl and 4 speed man trans. We loved it! 28 years later we got another Argosy, a 22' and went 8,000 miles with a grand daughter and 2 cats and 1 dog. We sold the Argosy within months, way too small and inconvenient for that many travelers. We now have a 25' Northwoods NASH, a "white box" if you would. It is much more suited to long trips. I don't know your financial situation, but if you can afford a 25' to 30" AS, you will love it, but for 1/3 the money you can love a well equipped "white box" . An AS may still be in your future, but for now get the "white box".
Remember it is what you put into the trailer that is important not the nameplate on the outside. Spend the extra $$$ on making your trip a time when time is divided into "before the trip ... and after the trip" when you look back on this magnificent event.
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I would like the artic fox, if we didn't have the as..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Fresno , California
Hete is a different perspective. I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would want to flush the cost of a Jayco down the tubes. Why not treat yourself to the best and the trailer that will be worth something at the end of your trip. I speak from experience.....in a year your Jayco will be trash.
ldireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Lawrenceburg , Kentucky
If it's just to be adventurous and enjoy the countryside, invest in a nice tent, sleeping gear, maybe a nice solar cooker, etc... And have a BLAST! If you plan to travel more or full time when the kids leave the nest, I'd go airstream! I've been full timing since the beginning of July with no previous experience of camping really except a few weekends with parents and grandparents as a child. I loved it then and just as much now! But as a small child I was hooked on airstream, and as I got older, I became a huge fan of tiny homes and trying to make as small of a negative imprint on the environment as possible. Today I wouldn't trade my tiny home (2008 safari 17') for any other TT MH etc... made, including another airstream. I've grown very fond and it's perfect for my needs. Theyre are other ways to add space such as the screened in canvas rooms too. Nothing against any other style, it's just self awareness. Go with the gut!!! God bless and safe travels!!!
Byrddoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:56 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickinson View Post
Think of it as you would evaluating a car. family of 5, friends ride along you need space for 6-7 in the car. So you get a car that fits the need and the all important budget. Later in life maybe requirements change and you think more upscale, higher quality, fewer seats (beds in the case of the RV). Even now with so many Airstreams being sold each year we are often the only AS in the park surrounded by all brand, model, type, and age of RV and, for the most part, very happy people having a great time. It's not about the brand of the trailer it's about getting out and having some fun. I am quite confident that there is no special air that they put in an AS that makes it different as a memory maker than any other brand. After a year you will have loads of fun memories and few to none of them will have anything to do with what kind of trailer you were using, I can speak from experience because we trailered as a family when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's and our AS was an enabler for us - it was the vehicle to financially allow us to travel for weeks on end with a family of 6.
Well said.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote