Old 01-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #15
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
The Jaco for a year long trip with kids would be my vote. Personal space for everyone when they need it, more storage for things the kids need, more space for 5 persons to live in. The AS is better suited for a couple on a long journey. Just my opinion as someone with two kids and a lab.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
If you absolutely want to avoid SOBs, IMO, your best bet would be a modified 34' Airstream/Avion, where you would add 2 bunk beds in front/rear. Avions have significantly more interior/exterior storage than Airstreams and, since they are not as popular as Airstreams, you can find one for a very reasonable price. Still, an SOB would be more spacious and would have more interior/exterior storage. Best of luck!

Old 01-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Get the Jayco. There is such a thing as too much closeness.

Mike
Old 01-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Well, I'm in the "purchase a Jayco" grouping .

We travelled with our three children for a summer with a pop-up tent trailer and had a blast (though I would never travel for a year in a pop-up!) and have travelled with our two grown children and 15 year old in our 25' Airstream for a month. Have also spent two months in a rented motorhome in Australia and New Zealand with our 15 year old.

My thoughts: Jayco for a third of the price allows you to conserve cash for a family's future needs (let alone spending less right now!), you will have much less concern when things get worn/damaged as they will when traveling with kids for a year, you will have SO much more room inside as well as for outside-accessible storage, and you'll find out what you like and don't like about your particular trailer with a year of experience under your belt for, again, a lot less money.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
We do a annual campout w/wifes cousin that started when he had class c now has jayco fifth wheel w/ 2 slide outs vary nice. I did not have very good impression of jayco when started with canvas pop up then box trailers that were cheaply constructed. I changed mind set last summer with his when I learned they are welded aluminum tubing frame and light wght. I would never pur. 1 as to large over all to feel comfortable towing. [still tow large impl. trailers] but when pleasure AS is for me as we are out doors people no tv. I also think for you and family would be way to go even tho I have owned AS since 1963. We started on ground then back of st. wagon then tent then several small box trailers, enjoyed all, only now have wife pull boat when we do both.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Gilbert , Arizona
Well said. I liked your comments, I copied and pasted into my notebook for future reference!
Old 01-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Jayco will definitely have more walk-around room and storage.
The Airstream will tow better and get better mpg.
It's a trade-off.
Just 2 of us in a 30' Airstream works, even though we have less walkaround room and storage than we did in our previous white square trailer with a long slide for the couch and dinette booth.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Think of it as you would evaluating a car. family of 5, friends ride along you need space for 6-7 in the car. So you get a car that fits the need and the all important budget. Later in life maybe requirements change and you think more upscale, higher quality, fewer seats (beds in the case of the RV). Even now with so many Airstreams being sold each year we are often the only AS in the park surrounded by all brand, model, type, and age of RV and, for the most part, very happy people having a great time. It's not about the brand of the trailer it's about getting out and having some fun. I am quite confident that there is no special air that they put in an AS that makes it different as a memory maker than any other brand. After a year you will have loads of fun memories and few to none of them will have anything to do with what kind of trailer you were using, I can speak from experience because we trailered as a family when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's and our AS was an enabler for us - it was the vehicle to financially allow us to travel for weeks on end with a family of 6.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Jayco or another SOB; hands down! BUT, I would suggest "used" for your journey...less depreciation than new, and likely you will be able to recoup most of your investment. We have owned 4 trailers and a class A motor home. The motor home and pop-up were both "used", and we took our 4 kids with us everywhere while camping and exploring the US. The motor home was a money pit and we lost big time when we sold it. The pop-up was also used, but we traveled around North America including Canada, with 4 bikes on top, for 5 weeks with no issues other than a tire blowout. When we sold the pop-up, we actually had people standing in line to buy it and we made a $1,000! We also have broken even or made a little money on a used Casita and 2 older AS models we have owned prior to current model. Too many folks have gotten the bug and purchased new, only to find out it was not what they had expected and now they have to take a loss on a "new" purchase. Just saying... You can always come back to an AS even a new one, and you will have a lot of experience to help you on your next decision without breaking the bank.
Good luck on your adventure!
Old 01-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #24
MOS
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Queensbury , New York
Buy a used sticks and tin TT with slides .
But not Jayco. I had two of them and they were junk to put it nicely !
Old 01-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Put the kids up for adoption, buy an Airstream. Easy.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Haslet , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
LOL! I hadn't considered that option! I guess it's all about priorities...
Old 01-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Head west is obviously the smartest guy in the room.

Mike
Old 01-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westminster , California
After tents, a cab-over camper and 4 pull trailers I got the hots last April to move up to an AS. Especially liked the floor plan of the 25 and 27 FQ's. Did a lot of reading and lurking around the forum and ended up getting an Outdoors RV Titanium without a slide. We figure we probably have 10 more years before rv-ing becomes too physically demanding as we are in our early 70's now. A good trailer, kept up, will last us more than 10 years, easily. Our others did just fine, bought used in excellent condition, sold when still in very good condition for top dollar. Now, a new AS, out the door was going to be up over 80K and at the end of 10 years would probably go for 50K. Give or take a little. So that's 30K of depreciation. Whereas our new little box trailer, at rv show discount, went for 32K and, we expect we can probably be able to sell it in 10 years for at least 10K. So our depreciation cost, in dollars, should be less. And, we saved over 45K right off the bat! License and insurance was less also. In addition, we really needed a 4-season trailer and the AS, although well insulated, is not a 4-season trailer. Don't know much about Jayco, understand they have a better reputation now than 20 years ago. For us, rv-ing in all seasons, a 4-season trailer was pretty much necessary. This is our story, and our opinion. There are many others. Good luck, have fun!