Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
NFA , Ontario
Airstream taboo: Remodelling

Hello,

I have spent a lot of time on this site so far, and have read some amazing threads that have helped out big time (re: floor rot, shell on floor repairs) but am wondering about this subject that I think might be a giant taboo: Remodelling, re designing, redoing/completely changing the interior of an airstream/vintage kin as opposed to revamping/restoring.

Can somebody please point me to a section or some threads that have some great designs that are completely different then the original interiors? I have been working on a travelux for the last little bit and have been very inspired by hofarc but would love to chat with some other folk that are doing similar stuff and see some examples!

Thanks!
alexdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Vintage Airstreams are like vintage autos. You have the purists, restore to as built by the factory. Then you have those who say, "Make it different!" Neither is right or wrong, as they are preferences. I know I have read about, and viewed photos of, totally restyled Airstreams, and appreciated the owners pride in workmanship and desire to bring the unit into the 21st century. I have admired the faithful restorations to 'as built' beauty as well. Do as you please, but, plan well regardless of the path to avoid having to rework your work.
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We redid our '72 31 ft. Our thread is "Little Girl Refurb" on the '72 sovereign threads. We kept many things in the same place, but the bathroom is definitely different, and the look of the trailer is not how Airstream did it originally. There are many who are redoing or have redone their trailers and have added some very innovative changes. There are some who want things kept vintage, and others, like us, who redo for our own comfort and use.
Keep reading!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have two Airstreams. The 1975 is going back looking original... except for the orange shag carpet with behind the scenes upgrades to power, lighting, plumbing and other strategic systems. My 1981 is going to be a full blown custom. It came to me gutted and is basically blank slate.

I looked a 1953 a few years back, that was a time capsule. If I had purchased it, it would have been cleaned up and kept as original as possible, because of it's condition. What I found very intriguing was it even had period magazines in the drawers under the dinette! Apparently it had been parked in around 1965-68, and rediscovered in 2008.

If it is something rare or unusual I would prefer to see it restored to original, something that has already been abused, modified or there are a lot of them out there, I don't worry so much.

In the grand scheme of things it is yours to whatever you wish.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I have 2 Argosy trailers (well 3, but one is just for parts and will give its last gasp to make my 28' whole again.)

My 24' trailer is a very, very original trailer in good usable condition. I just can't bring myself to make big changes to it because it's such a time capsule. I enjoy traveling with it, but it's not exactly what I want.

Enter Il Progetto, the 28' center-bath Argosy. It's been "rode hard and put up wet" and is already much altered from its original state, so I'm going to make it just what I want it to be. It'll still be mostly the original layout, because that's what I was looking for, but lighting, systems, finishes and flooring will all be to my tastes, and I won't feel the least bit guilty about anything but what I'll end up spending on the project.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I don't think there is anything taboo about changing the interior of an Airstream to make it suit your tastes. As mentioned above, maybe a very rare and older (say 50's and earlier) vintage should be left intact, but there are tons of 70's era units that scream for some updates. Visualize that funky vinyl print in the bathroom, the orange shag carpeting as well as all the dark faux wood print over aluminum. Just makes me want to go out and find a leisure suit and grow some mutton chops.

So far I've redone the rear bath and am now working on the kitchen area. The bathroom in my opinion was an especially bad design for trying to shower without smacking your arms into useless cabinetry. If you havent seen that thread, its here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...up-100164.html and the current work is detailed here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...on-115482.html

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Some of the 70's trailers are so far gone and the original interior was plastic fake wood that many times there is nothing left of the interior to save. They also require ripping everything out and starting over. There is that rare garage kept 70's trailer that is still original and good shape. Those should be preserved. You can always get a junk trailer to remodel.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
If you sue the Search tab above (in blue bar..) and search using terms remodel and renovate you will find more than 2,000 threads on the subject. Many go to great lengths showing photos of progress towards reconfiguration and redecorating of classic Airstreams.. One of older classics is Uwe Salwender's restoration of a '63.. He stripped to shell, added maple cabinetry, built-in A/C on side under cabinet, and on and on... See: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ler-11687.html

I believe it is your trailer, and unless you are deeply worried about maximizing resale value to a collector, you should modify away to suit yourselves, worrying only about weight, operational logistics and power/water needs.. For example, others have added large copper bathtubs, but there is a practical problem with that if you are boondocking with small holding tanks.. Likewise, fancy wool carpeting is probably not good if you have large outdoor dogs.. And so it goes... Good luck, and share some photos as you go through process..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Very little Airstream left inside...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1399514958.643781.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	878.7 KB
ID:	211428Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1399514979.790275.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	787.5 KB
ID:	211429

My trailer was way too used up to consider restoring.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1399515080.639581.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	746.5 KB
ID:	211432Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1399515102.309880.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	788.5 KB
ID:	211433

If a person likes natural wood....

The 75 we just bought will go back stock, at least for a while.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post

If a person likes natural wood....
You need to tow that bad boy with a Woody wagon! :-)

Just gorgeous!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
J Morgan's is one of the best remodels I have seen. I have seen some really bad ones on ebay and craigs list and act like they actually improved the trailer. All original usually means nothing has been maintained in 40yrs.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Thanks for the compliments! They mean a lot to me. I suppose they kind of validate my work and my vision. Thanks again!

I had more fun doing that project than any project I have ever done. It was a total blast.

I broke all kinds of rules on that build, but I think that Mede it more fun,,,

Old 05-08-2014, 05:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
J. Morgan, that is one beautiful remodel!!!!
We dragged a '47 Spartan Manor home and your work inspires me!
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I was inspired by an old travel trailer relegated to a trailer park rental that I saw as a kid in the early 80s.

I don't remember what brand it was, but I do remember it was a larger squarish trailer. In reflection it was probably a 40s or 50s trailer. I remember being unimpressed until I walked in the door. The trailer had style and the coolest wood paneling. The vision has stuck with my for years.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #16
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
J Morgan's is one of the best remodels I have seen. I have seen some really bad ones on ebay and craigs list and act like they actually improved the trailer. All original usually means nothing has been maintained in 40yrs.

Perry

This is what I was thinking about in my earlier post. Remodeling like this is a work of a keen eye and talented hands. Like a '35 Ford turned into a street rod. Heritage in the past but using the current technologies to make a unique and functional vehicle and trailer. Just as stunning as a painstaking restoration to 'as built' status....
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
J. Morgan- absolutely superb design and workmanship! Isn't it amazing the image that you carried in your p brain all those years until it was your time to use it.

alexdubs- Take a look at Klatawa's thread in the 59-69 Tradewind section titled '65 TW Remodel- our turn. They completely changed the layout and did a very professional job- one of the best I have seen.

I have kept my 66 Tradewind original because the interior was in great shape and the layout and storage works well for us.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvketchum View Post
This is what I was thinking about in my earlier post. Remodeling like this is a work of a keen eye and talented hands. Like a '35 Ford turned into a street rod. Heritage in the past but using the current technologies to make a unique and functional vehicle and trailer. Just as stunning as a painstaking restoration to 'as built' status....

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...d/DSCN2423.jpg

How about a 39 Ford??

The Ford has taken me a mite longer to finish than the AS....

Old 05-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
If your plans to remodel include 2 x 4's or wood paneling...Don't!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #20
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
This is my take on the issue………

I'm currently remodelling my 1983 310 turbo diesel motorhome. This involves new subfloor, flooring (Torly's engineered hardwood maple), new cabinets and new vinyl wall covering on the interior gables. I have chucked the Nutone processor, the small ice box/freezer, furnace and every cabinet.

In replacing anything however I have been very cognizant of the weight issue. I replaced my subfloor with Coosa board that's 40% lighter than plywood. It will not rot or mildew. If for example I couldn't find a bathroom sink that was lighter than the original, then the original stays, albeit with a new coat of paint. I also payed special attention to how Airstream constructed the cabinets, and while mine are out of pine, I have been very conscious to constructing them as strong but as light as possible. The cabinets have as little sides or interior gables as possible and no backs to save weight. I have used a high end bottom mounted sides which require two per drawer (added weight), but I have already chucked the freezer.

Do what you want to but remember this…. any added weight will cost you more gas, poorer acceleration, poorer braking, worst handling (other than wind I guess). It will tax your trailers suspension if it's not up to snuff or rated for the extra weight. Also be careful to how the weight is distributed in the trailer, too much behind the rear axle (trailer sway), too much in front of the axles (too much tongue weight and the tow vehicle could loose steering control and braking performance.

Finally, technology has come a long way since the 80's (LED lights and lamps etc), why not take advantage of it?

Cheers
Tony
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote