Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Airstream Optional Equipment

Regarding new trailers, I can't seem to find anything that lists Optional Equipment. Only standard equipment is listed on the Airstream website, there is a small blurb referring to the dealer for optional equipment. I'd like to do this research on my own. My wife and I have seen the trailer we like on several different dealer websites, some have an oven, some don't. Same with the window awnings. Makes me think there are a number of options we'd like to consider.

Thank you.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Regarding new trailers, I can't seem to find anything that lists Optional Equipment. Only standard equipment is listed on the Airstream website, there is a small blurb referring to the dealer for optional equipment. I'd like to do this research on my own. My wife and I have seen the trailer we like on several different dealer websites, some have an oven, some don't. Same with the window awnings. Makes me think there are a number of options we'd like to consider.

Thank you.
You can have it built with just about anything AS is putting on or in any of their models.....for a pretty heavy premium. Contact AS Customer Service.

If your considering solar....don't, you can get a much better system in the aftermarket.

Bob
Old 11-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Maybe collectively we who have bought Airstreams recently can list some of the options on ours.

Awning package - Street side and back as well as standard curbside.
Solar - Two 55 watt panels, two Lifeline AGM batteries, controller, and monitor.
Inverter - Inverter and four inverter-only electrical outlets, controller.
Convection/Microwave oven.
Golden Ultraleather (actually vinyl) upholstery for seating. Removed by us for recliner installation at Jackson Center Airstream Service Center.
16" wheels w/Michelin tires. Not an option at the time, we installed them, now optional.

If we had to do it again we would get exactly these options, they all are integrated into the build nicely and work very well. Don't forget, the price is negotiable just like the basic trailer.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
The salesperson I met with had a sheet of paper he kept looking at when I asked about solar panels, it had pricing which I assume was from the factory.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Curious for those have the additional awnings (street side and rear) if they make much difference on keeping the interior cooler thus giving the typical single AC unit a better chance in high temps?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I suppose it depends on the model and trim line, but on my FC 20 the options were: Microwave/convection oven vs standard gas oven, inverter vs no inverter, Ultraleather vs standard cloth, countertop color of White or dark brown (no cost difference), awning package for road side and rear window (standard curb side awning on all FC's) and solar package vs standard of none.

I ordered mine with standard oven, 1000 watt sine wave inverter, Ultraleather, white countertops and no solar or extra awnings.

I added solar on my own after delivery, along with a Tri Metric battery monitoring system, Progressive Dynamics converter/charger and 16" wheels and Michelin Tires. I will change out my type 24 batteries for a pair of golf cart type 6 volt in series ones in the spring. I boondock almost exclusively, so good electrics are very important to me.

I wish there was an option of clear glass from the factory. Those of us up north want more light in the trailer in the daytime, but AS does not even offer it as an option. The dark front pano windows covered with a dark window guard system makes it very dim inside on anything but the brightest sunny days when parked with no shade.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
My trailer has awnings on all windows. It came that way so not something originally ordered by me. I was skeptical but having had two other A/Ss in last five years, I can say it was a noticable improvement in keeping the interior cooler. Wind is a concern but I did learn to secure the front awning with the corkscrew deals with ropes to the front corners and that helped a lot. I still take it down when there are high winds. Now a believer in the awning package. The two A/Cs helped as well and I would suggest the max A/C available if going to be in hot climates like Florida and 50 amp regardless if available. Nice to plug all toaster, run the microwave, electric grill, and A/C without breakers popping.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
the dealer should provide a standard order checklist...ill have to dig it up and see if I can post it here...but most stuff has been discussed in this thread....

We picked our new bunkhouse up on 11/15/13...ultra-leather (we got black, there is a light tan "golden" option as well) - 1000w inverter - 2 AC units - and awnings package.

The ultraleather is nice for obvious reasons....reviews of it were all good, especially with kids.

The 2 AC units if living in very hot and/or humid climates....you can swing it with a 28+ footer with one AC unit, but would need a fan to push cold air to other side of trailer...and cannot close a shade...and "most" folks when asked about 2 AC units who live in say the south east say just opt for the 2nd AC unit...if I lived up north I would not get 2 units likely...I think by not having the 2nd AC you get a second skylight (dont quote me on that).

The awnings package....I asked alot of folks on here and read back threads on the subject...among the AS community it is a very popular option both aesthetically and functionally....if camped in direct sun not in shade - the difference is consistently noted in reducing heat in the trailer...this is simple enough I forget how much cooler the shade is but much of the AS is in shad with awnings as opposed to sun baking the sides...

Depending on how you camp and where...I can imagine folks getting by without the awnkings all the way around....but it clearly is nice to have...we will likely tailgate, boondock, and end up in camping spots well exposed....

Almost everyone I discussed it with said do not opt for the solar....pricey and not all that much wattage per cost....having said that, a few people just pulled that trigger and it helps them keep the batteries going....I think with that same amount of money you can do MUCH better aftermarket from what I have read on this site...I will go the generator route likely being that I live in Alabama when it comes time to do much dry camping.

I did not opt for a convection microwave....wanted to keep gas for cooking because I have never used a convection oven, and wanted the oven for cooking when off the grid....my wife loves to bake so she demanded this...

The 16 inch wheels is also called "eddie bauer tire upgrade"...it is NOT listed on the order sheet, must be requested by dealer and airstream did it for mine....you can read hundreds of pages on the subject...I wont attempt to summarize or say anything on that subject - just that I opted for the 16 inch Michelins
good luck....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
While essentially happy with my 25' Cloud if I could do it over again I would have liked to think about all the possible options and order the trailer.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
I ordered my 2014 30ft Flying Cloud , Chocolate recliners, dark counters, Ultra leather dinette, Full Awnings, 2 AC, 16" tires, convection micro, no solar dealer will install. Arrival January 2014. Also, secured two Honda EU 2,000 generators. Most of my learnings came from this site, plus Pharmgeek, and Switz, posts most helpful.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
well your wait is not that bad there Luigi.....any help you feel like you got from me was simply advice someone else on here or online in general gave....I take no responsibility for the confusion that I may have caused you

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
My Airstream dealer installed my solar panels and did quite a good job. He also added AGM batteries. I have about 300W of solar to keep up with the AGM's.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I deleted my skylights @ $500. for three reasons, room for solar, potential leaks from cracked on installation retention screws, and sunlight heating the interior.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Gary- Nothing scientific but my Wife thinks it makes a difference. Cant hurt keeping as much sun off the unit as possible. If I were ordering a new stream today I wouldn't hesitate getting the awning option.
John
Woosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
For the 2014 Classic models:

no charge option to have either twin beds or queen bed

no charge option of Espresso or Golden Ultra-leather

convection microwave @ $404 deletes gas oven but gains kitchen drawers in that space on the 31' models and replaces gas oven on the 27FB model

pantry microwave @ $564 in the 27FB uses up 1/3 of pantry space

1000 watt inverter for $725

solar system with two 53 watt panels @ $2,950

second A/C with 50 amp service @ $2,129

power awning option @ $3,551

The factory options we selected are the twin beds, golden Ultra-leather, and second A/C with 50 amp service. A $450 up charge gave us the same flooring material as in the International Serenity and an aluminum backsplash behind the bathroom sink in lieu of the fuzz on the rest of the walls.

We can have a third party install a 600 watt solar system with Magnum converter/inverter and four Lifeline 300 amp hour batteries where all the 120Vac outlets are on all the time for a few dollars more than the factory inverter and solar systems price added together. We will also retrofit the Maxim skylights and a weather shield for the Fantastic fan.

We have the 16" Michelins and SenDel wheels at home and will install them with a Dill 1506-453 TPMS system, Centramatc wheel balancers and McGard lug nuts.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
the dealer should provide a standard order checklist...ill have to dig it up and see if I can post it here...but most stuff has been discussed in this thread.... We picked our new bunkhouse up on 11/15/13...ultra-leather (we got black, there is a light tan "golden" option as well) - 1000w inverter - 2 AC units - and awnings package. The ultraleather is nice for obvious reasons....reviews of it were all good, especially with kids. The 2 AC units if living in very hot and/or humid climates....you can swing it with a 28+ footer with one AC unit, but would need a fan to push cold air to other side of trailer...and cannot close a shade...and "most" folks when asked about 2 AC units who live in say the south east say just opt for the 2nd AC unit...if I lived up north I would not get 2 units likely...I think by not having the 2nd AC you get a second skylight (dont quote me on that). The awnings package....I asked alot of folks on here and read back threads on the subject...among the AS community it is a very popular option both aesthetically and functionally....if camped in direct sun not in shade - the difference is consistently noted in reducing heat in the trailer...this is simple enough I forget how much cooler the shade is but much of the AS is in shad with awnings as opposed to sun baking the sides... Depending on how you camp and where...I can imagine folks getting by without the awnkings all the way around....but it clearly is nice to have...we will likely tailgate, boondock, and end up in camping spots well exposed.... Almost everyone I discussed it with said do not opt for the solar....pricey and not all that much wattage per cost....having said that, a few people just pulled that trigger and it helps them keep the batteries going....I think with that same amount of money you can do MUCH better aftermarket from what I have read on this site...I will go the generator route likely being that I live in Alabama when it comes time to do much dry camping. I did not opt for a convection microwave....wanted to keep gas for cooking because I have never used a convection oven, and wanted the oven for cooking when off the grid....my wife loves to bake so she demanded this... The 16 inch wheels is also called "eddie bauer tire upgrade"...it is NOT listed on the order sheet, must be requested by dealer and airstream did it for mine....you can read hundreds of pages on the subject...I wont attempt to summarize or say anything on that subject - just that I opted for the 16 inch Michelins good luck....
By not having the second a/c you get a second Fantastic Fan...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
and MY Eddie Bauer has four - really - FOUR Scare Lights! They CAN do just about anything, even if it's stupid!

The lights are on each corner of the Airstream, with individual switches for each light wired NEAR each light. Now if I ever thought zombies were getting ready to attack... or perhaps a big bear... I'd actually want a way to turn on all of the lights together instead of running around and turning each of them on or off independently. With all four on, it's got to be a major pain in the neck for anyone parked next to me but if you're running a knife sharpening seminar at night, it'll light up the whole area. Of course, it draws moths like crazy. HOWEVER, since 2 of the switches are in the bedroom, close to the bed, so you can light up the area and scare the pants off of anyone sneaking up on it. If you have to hitch or unhitch after dark, you can definitely see everything with the front two lights on. Again it could irritate the neighbors... but heck if you're leaving?

Paula
Old 11-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ouray , Colorado
LOL Paula. I did not know that Zombie lights were an accessory from the factory. Our Eddie Bauer 27FB only has the following factory extras- Full Awning. We are currently full-timing close to Charlotte NC. I sometimes wish I had the 2nd AC unit / heat pump. However I will say the fantastic fans work great, and help provide light to a dark room (when I remove the fan shade).

Is there a link to an accessory sheet that shows ALL the options one could add if they factory ordered? for example, I didn't know AS did interior customizations like recliners vs. table. Could I have custom ordered a different floor? What about a 30' FB with an Eddie Bauer rear hatch!!!
jasperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Whatever it is that we are "scaring" with those "scare" lights you are scaring it x 4.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Besides 360° awnings with center rafter, disc brakes are a forever
must.
I have the Kodiak hubs rotors and stainless calipers. Ceramic pads will never wear out. All this powered by a Carlisle hydrastar 1600 pump controlled by a Prodigy P3 totally dreamy smooth and powerful.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote