Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Bathroom mirror

How odd. My Eddie Bauer AND the prior 2006 Safari FB have the top lift mirror, but it has a "hinge lock" on the left side - similar to what you'd see on an old WWII footlocker or other trunk. You open the door, push UP almost to the ceiling, and the Hinge locks the door open. To close you reach up and release the locking device.

Yours is missing a piece from the factory gents. The brass colored lock on mine is virtually in the same place as your gas lift.

I do LIKE the gas lift though, and here's another idea. There's an open shelf under the medicine cabinet that is about one inch too short to really store women's cosmetics. I'd like to lengthen the two side pieces AND REPLACE the front board that holds stuff on the shelf with clear Lexan. I'd also replace the front of the shelves inside the cabinet with Lexan so that someone vertically challenged (moi) can see everything on the shelf instead of having to feel around for tweezers and hope something small, soft and fuzzy that I felt with a finger tip wasn't a caterpiller (creepiness attack) but instead was a cotton ball. I dislike feeling my way around!

Paula

Paula
Old 11-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
On our 2013 25FB International Serenity, we installed a slide bolt on the bathroom mirror and a metal faced slot in the wall to hold the mirror up when open.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Yes, you still haggle the price. In 20/20 hindsight I should have gotten: 1. Eddie Bauer tire and wheel package 2. Inverter 3. Solar 4. Cocoa ultra leather 5. Aluminum backsplash in the bathroom 6. Twin beds 7. Stainless furnace and water heater covers 8. Stainless storage compartments 9. Stainless water/sewer compartment 10. No sky lights 11. No convection oven 12. Silver MaxxAir cover 13. Stainless vent hood cover 14. Pro-Pride 15. Stacks and vista views and panoramic in the bedroom 16. Rock tamers Some of these things might be added anyway. I don't foresee selling or trading- ever-
I like your list, except for the panoramic windows in the bedroom. I have them and they are always covered by the curtains. I'm only in there when it's dark. But everything else is a must have, as far as I'm concerned.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashSilver View Post
I like your list, except for the panoramic windows in the bedroom. I have them and they are always covered by the curtains. I'm only in there when it's dark. But everything else is a must have, as far as I'm concerned.
The panos in the bedroom do sound like a waste, but we have them and like them. Brightens the trailer throughout the day, and pretty neat in the boondocks to go to sleep and wake with them open.

And it makes those tiny little bedrooms feel a bit larger than they are, less feeling of enclosure. Wrapping windows around the corners of a building is an architectural trick (developed and used extensively by Frank Lloyd Wright) to get "freedom of space".

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think the panoramic windows at the back look really cool from the exterior as well, but in an island bed setup the 2 wardrobes flanking the bed would be lost.
In a twin bed setup it would be great. Another reason (in 20/20 hindsight) I width a had the twin beds is easier access/walk-through and easier/more storage access.
Comparing trailers side by side the ones with rear panoramic windows are prettier in my eyes.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
M.hony....kinda reminds me...I remember when talking to colonial AS that they make it a point to ask JC to order their units with the same wrapping panoramic window shield/rock guards even in models without panoramic windows...this was done I was told by Patrick for some aesthetic reasons often...

but that was the front, not the back...I recall that option was 500 bucks...I did not opt for this option as I kina like the little square window look in the front...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
How odd. My Eddie Bauer AND the prior 2006 Safari FB have the top lift mirror, but it has a "hinge lock" on the left side - similar to what you'd see on an old WWII footlocker or other trunk. You open the door, push UP almost to the ceiling, and the Hinge locks the door open. To close you reach up and release the locking device.

Yours is missing a piece from the factory gents. The brass colored lock on mine is virtually in the same place as your gas lift.

I do LIKE the gas lift though, and here's another idea. There's an open shelf under the medicine cabinet that is about one inch too short to really store women's cosmetics. I'd like to lengthen the two side pieces AND REPLACE the front board that holds stuff on the shelf with clear Lexan. I'd also replace the front of the shelves inside the cabinet with Lexan so that someone vertically challenged (moi) can see everything on the shelf instead of having to feel around for tweezers and hope something small, soft and fuzzy that I felt with a finger tip wasn't a caterpiller (creepiness attack) but instead was a cotton ball. I dislike feeling my way around!

Paula

Paula
When I spoke to Airstream about the vanity mirror door I too thought I was missing something. The mentioned something about those slide locks slipping and possibly a hazard so current normal is nothing.

I like your Lexan idea. Home Depot sells sheets of hard clear acrylic that can be cut. I've successfully cut it with a table saw and a fine tooth blade. My wife is short and would appreciate it.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
When I spoke to Airstream about the vanity mirror door I too thought I was missing something. The mentioned something about those slide locks slipping and possibly a hazard so current normal is nothing.

I like your Lexan idea. Home Depot sells sheets of hard clear acrylic that can be cut. I've successfully cut it with a table saw and a fine tooth blade. My wife is short and would appreciate it.
You don't have to buy Lexan/acrylic at Home Depot. Find a sign shop or shop that makes store fixtures like card and brochure holders. They have tons of scrap material that they'll sell cheaply or give away.

Want Corian countertops on your Safari/Flying Cloud... ditto. Go to a custom cabinet shop... the small amount you need is probably in their scrap/leftover bin.

Be nice and visit them when they aren't obviously busy with a paying customer. Offer cash. Send a thank you note with a case of beer. You'll always be a welcome guest after that!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Maybe collectively we who have bought Airstreams recently can list some of the options on ours.

Awning package - Street side and back as well as standard curbside.
Solar - Two 55 watt panels, two Lifeline AGM batteries, controller, and monitor.
Inverter - Inverter and four inverter-only electrical outlets, controller.
Convection/Microwave oven.
Golden Ultraleather (actually vinyl) upholstery for seating. Removed by us for recliner installation at Jackson Center Airstream Service Center.
16" wheels w/Michelin tires. Not an option at the time, we installed them, now optional.

If we had to do it again we would get exactly these options, they all are integrated into the build nicely and work very well. Don't forget, the price is negotiable just like the basic trailer.
Good advice ...all the above options make life much easier ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
awnings

I do not have a new AS nor awnings on all sides but I can tell you that this summer we stayed at a site that provided a beating on the street side sun-wise and it was hotter than normal. An awning or a tall Class A neighbor would have helped tremendously.