Old 11-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
A lot of the fun of owning an Airstream is customizing yourself. I custom ordered my 27 international serenity. Factory options:

1. Ultra leather
2. Awning package
3. Microwave.

I added myself

1. 400 watt solar and inverter (wired to all outlets switched through main panel). Got it all for a lot less $'s than factory.
2. Bedroom TV (24" Samsung from Costco.
3. Second full width sewer pipe storage (Airstreams is smallest sold).
4. Pneumatic lifter for bathroom vanity mirror door.

To go:

1. Dual 6 volt deep cycle batteries (need battery box mods).
2. Better tires.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #30
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
4. Pneumatic lifter for bathroom vanity mirror door.
The mirror is top-hinged? Weird. I would have thought that bottom-hinged, so it opens to make a shelf, would be better.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Mhony - I have second AC - 1 skylight in center as well as a fantastic fan center - BUT also still a fantastic fan back above bunk house...FYI
I guess it is different depending on the model of trailer.
I will say for the 30' Classic a second Fantastic fan would be where the second a/c is- in the one bedroom at the rear of the trailer. The one Fantastic fan is at the front of the trailer above the couch. The first a/c (the only a/c if equipped with one) is about midways of the length of the trailer in the kitchen/dining area.
I guess it is different for the Flying Cloud because it has 2 bedrooms/different layout.
So- where are the 2 a/c's in a bunkhouse?
I like the placement of the 2 a/c's in the 30' Classic because the bedroom and living area can be heated/cooled separately with the mid-bath doors closed, or- with the bathroom doors open we can use the back a/c to cool the whole trailer when we are in the front and vice versa because the units are loud- especially when watching television- to keep from constantly turning volume up/down. Running audio through the stereo system helps, too- the speakers are closer to my ears-
On the 30' Classic, the rear a/c is mounted in the same place as the Fantastic fan would be if you only had 1 a/c.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The mirror is top-hinged? Weird. I would have thought that bottom-hinged, so it opens to make a shelf, would be better.
Yes, it is top-hinged- and has no supporting struts like the overhead lockers have-
so you have to hold it up with one hand (and it is HEAVY) while you reach in with the other hand to get something out...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It's top hinged, and its heavy, and the only way to browse though stuff in the cabinet was to lay the door on top of my head. It gave me a headache. Here's a YouTube video I made of the door in operation. Installation of the lifter was an easy project.

P1030294 - YouTube

I sent the video to Airstream as an obvious improvement for future models, but they blew it off.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
colorado springs , Colorado
I love that lift! Can you share parts and installation steps? it looks easy to install- do you have one on each side?
Old 11-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperkins View Post
I love that lift! Can you share parts and installation steps? it looks easy to install- do you have one on each side?
Purchased from Rockler. Lift-O-mat gas spring. I purchased item #34373. The kit includes two springs and mounting hardware (minus screws). I only needed one of the springs to properly lift the door. I gave the other lift to a friend with the same cabinet in his AS.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10807
Old 11-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Chesapeake , Virginia
Thanks for the part number and video showing the gas shock in action. How did you fasten the gas spring to the mirror?
Old 11-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I have AC unit in front bedroom - then fantastic fan in front of entry door then next the skylight (dead center) then AC unit (just behind center line) - then back in bunkhouse is a fantastic fan.

I believe (no idea though) - that if no second AC then above front bed queen bed would be a skylight??

Not sure

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Way different from the 30' Classic...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip2013 View Post
Thanks for the part number and video showing the gas shock in action. How did you fasten the gas spring to the mirror?
The back of the mirror is attached to a piece of plywood, 1/2 inch thick or so. I simply used some small wood screws.

The gas springs come with installation instructions. The tricky part is placement of the lift so that it clears all the parts of the vanity box when closed, but also holds the door open high enough to provide good access. I admit had to re-install it a couple times to get the perfect placement.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Bathroom mirror

How odd. My Eddie Bauer AND the prior 2006 Safari FB have the top lift mirror, but it has a "hinge lock" on the left side - similar to what you'd see on an old WWII footlocker or other trunk. You open the door, push UP almost to the ceiling, and the Hinge locks the door open. To close you reach up and release the locking device.

Yours is missing a piece from the factory gents.

Paula
Old 11-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Bathroom mirror

How odd. My Eddie Bauer AND the prior 2006 Safari FB have the top lift mirror, but it has a "hinge lock" on the left side - similar to what you'd see on an old WWII footlocker or other trunk. You open the door, push UP almost to the ceiling, and the Hinge locks the door open. To close you reach up and release the locking device.

Yours is missing a piece from the factory gents. The brass colored lock on mine is virtually in the same place as your gas lift.

I do LIKE the gas lift though, and here's another idea. There's an open shelf under the medicine cabinet that is about one inch too short to really store women's cosmetics. I'd like to lengthen the two side pieces AND REPLACE the front board that holds stuff on the shelf with clear Lexan. I'd also replace the front of the shelves inside the cabinet with Lexan so that someone vertically challenged (moi) can see everything on the shelf instead of having to feel around for tweezers and hope something small, soft and fuzzy that I felt with a finger tip wasn't a caterpiller (creepiness attack) but instead was a cotton ball. I dislike feeling my way around!

Paula

Paula
Old 11-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
On our 2013 25FB International Serenity, we installed a slide bolt on the bathroom mirror and a metal faced slot in the wall to hold the mirror up when open.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote