Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
For the 2014 Classic models:

no charge option to have either twin beds or queen bed

no charge option of Espresso or Golden Ultra-leather

convection microwave @ $404 deletes gas oven but gains kitchen drawers in that space on the 31' models and replaces gas oven on the 27FB model

pantry microwave @ $564 in the 27FB uses up 1/3 of pantry space

1000 watt inverter for $725

solar system with two 53 watt panels @ $2,950

second A/C with 50 amp service @ $2,129

power awning option @ $3,551

The factory options we selected are the twin beds, golden Ultra-leather, and second A/C with 50 amp service. A $450 up charge gave us the same flooring material as in the International Serenity and an aluminum backsplash behind the bathroom sink in lieu of the fuzz on the rest of the walls.

We can have a third party install a 600 watt solar system with Magnum converter/inverter and four Lifeline 300 amp hour batteries where all the 120Vac outlets are on all the time for a few dollars more than the factory inverter and solar systems price added together. We will also retrofit the Maxim skylights and a weather shield for the Fantastic fan.

We have the 16" Michelins and SenDel wheels at home and will install them with a Dill 1506-453 TPMS system, Centramatc wheel balancers and McGard lug nuts.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
the dealer should provide a standard order checklist...ill have to dig it up and see if I can post it here...but most stuff has been discussed in this thread.... We picked our new bunkhouse up on 11/15/13...ultra-leather (we got black, there is a light tan "golden" option as well) - 1000w inverter - 2 AC units - and awnings package. The ultraleather is nice for obvious reasons....reviews of it were all good, especially with kids. The 2 AC units if living in very hot and/or humid climates....you can swing it with a 28+ footer with one AC unit, but would need a fan to push cold air to other side of trailer...and cannot close a shade...and "most" folks when asked about 2 AC units who live in say the south east say just opt for the 2nd AC unit...if I lived up north I would not get 2 units likely...I think by not having the 2nd AC you get a second skylight (dont quote me on that). The awnings package....I asked alot of folks on here and read back threads on the subject...among the AS community it is a very popular option both aesthetically and functionally....if camped in direct sun not in shade - the difference is consistently noted in reducing heat in the trailer...this is simple enough I forget how much cooler the shade is but much of the AS is in shad with awnings as opposed to sun baking the sides... Depending on how you camp and where...I can imagine folks getting by without the awnkings all the way around....but it clearly is nice to have...we will likely tailgate, boondock, and end up in camping spots well exposed.... Almost everyone I discussed it with said do not opt for the solar....pricey and not all that much wattage per cost....having said that, a few people just pulled that trigger and it helps them keep the batteries going....I think with that same amount of money you can do MUCH better aftermarket from what I have read on this site...I will go the generator route likely being that I live in Alabama when it comes time to do much dry camping. I did not opt for a convection microwave....wanted to keep gas for cooking because I have never used a convection oven, and wanted the oven for cooking when off the grid....my wife loves to bake so she demanded this... The 16 inch wheels is also called "eddie bauer tire upgrade"...it is NOT listed on the order sheet, must be requested by dealer and airstream did it for mine....you can read hundreds of pages on the subject...I wont attempt to summarize or say anything on that subject - just that I opted for the 16 inch Michelins good luck....
By not having the second a/c you get a second Fantastic Fan...

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
and MY Eddie Bauer has four - really - FOUR Scare Lights! They CAN do just about anything, even if it's stupid!

The lights are on each corner of the Airstream, with individual switches for each light wired NEAR each light. Now if I ever thought zombies were getting ready to attack... or perhaps a big bear... I'd actually want a way to turn on all of the lights together instead of running around and turning each of them on or off independently. With all four on, it's got to be a major pain in the neck for anyone parked next to me but if you're running a knife sharpening seminar at night, it'll light up the whole area. Of course, it draws moths like crazy. HOWEVER, since 2 of the switches are in the bedroom, close to the bed, so you can light up the area and scare the pants off of anyone sneaking up on it. If you have to hitch or unhitch after dark, you can definitely see everything with the front two lights on. Again it could irritate the neighbors... but heck if you're leaving?

Paula
Old 11-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
colorado springs , Colorado
LOL Paula. I did not know that Zombie lights were an accessory from the factory. Our Eddie Bauer 27FB only has the following factory extras- Full Awning. We are currently full-timing close to Charlotte NC. I sometimes wish I had the 2nd AC unit / heat pump. However I will say the fantastic fans work great, and help provide light to a dark room (when I remove the fan shade).

Is there a link to an accessory sheet that shows ALL the options one could add if they factory ordered? for example, I didn't know AS did interior customizations like recliners vs. table. Could I have custom ordered a different floor? What about a 30' FB with an Eddie Bauer rear hatch!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Whatever it is that we are "scaring" with those "scare" lights you are scaring it x 4.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #20
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Besides 360° awnings with center rafter, disc brakes are a forever
must.
I have the Kodiak hubs rotors and stainless calipers. Ceramic pads will never wear out. All this powered by a Carlisle hydrastar 1600 pump controlled by a Prodigy P3 totally dreamy smooth and powerful.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperkins View Post
LOL Paula.

Is there a link to an accessory sheet that shows ALL the options one could add if they factory ordered? for example, I didn't know AS did interior customizations like recliners vs. table. Could I have custom ordered a different floor? What about a 30' FB with an Eddie Bauer rear hatch!!!
The Airstream factory doesn't do customizations such as recliners, but the Airstream Service Center next door does. That means you pay for the standard interior, then again for the custom interior work. $110 an hour plus parts/material, or about $4,000 for recliners, folding extension table, console, and custom storage cabinet such as we had done. In the overall cost of the Airstream and compared to other options, not unreasonable.

The good thing is the parts/material is at hand, they start on it 0700 the morning of your appointment, and don't set it aside until it's done. It can retain your new factory stye/appearance if planned well. And they pull it out to their free campground for you to use each night.

Hmmmm, an Eddie Bauer hatch on a 30' FB to slide your toys in without disturbing your personal living space? Maybe removable bunks. Not bad, I'll bet they could do it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
After reading these posts, I really think I am going to order a trailer. If I am going to pay that much for a trailer, I want it exactly how we want it even if it is a few dollars more.

Do you think I still negotiate on an ordered trailer like one that is on the lot?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Yes, you still haggle the price.
In 20/20 hindsight I should have gotten:
1. Eddie Bauer tire and wheel package
2. Inverter
3. Solar
4. Cocoa ultra leather
5. Aluminum backsplash in the bathroom
6. Twin beds
7. Stainless furnace and water heater covers
8. Stainless storage compartments
9. Stainless water/sewer compartment
10. No sky lights
11. No convection oven
12. Silver MaxxAir cover
13. Stainless vent hood cover
14. Pro-Pride
15. Stacks and vista views and panoramic in the bedroom
16. Rock tamers
Some of these things might be added anyway. I don't foresee selling or trading- ever-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I don't foresee selling or trading- ever-
There it is right there. That's how we want to feel once we own our trailer. We are doing our homework now in hopes we get it as right as possible. We intend to order a 2014 and never look back.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
The missus wanted espresso ultraleather instead of either black or tan, so we paid the standard $500 upgrade fee. Otherwise, only added the extra awnings and inverter. Thought hard about the convection oven but the many posts on the forum convinced us to stick with the lp oven, a wise choice as you can always buy a cheap aftermarket micro convection oven.

All other upgrades will be done aftermarket. Did the 16" wheels and tires, and will likely consider solar. Xbox arrives tomorrow, will be nice for the kids during rainy days. Will likely upgrade hifi with better speakers, sub, amp. The forum has also convinced me that a converter and maxim upgrades are in my future.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Funny thing is-
I am satisfied with the sound system.
It is so much better than the system in our previous sob trailer.
I could see adding an amp to the 6 1/2" coaxials or a bigger sub and amp, but what's there is pretty good- and I am pretty hard to please.
Every car I have ever had I replaced the entire system, including ones with so-called high end audio like Bose or JBL.
No original equipment is ever as good as aftermarket, but Airstream already uses auto aftermarket stereo equipment. I love the Bluetooth Sony and the SAS sub.
Not feeling any immediate need for any upgrades.
Not as good as the systems in my cars or house, but pretty good.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Mhony - I have second AC - 1 skylight in center as well as a fantastic fan center - BUT also still a fantastic fan back above bunk house...FYI

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
One item not mentioned so far is the AS flag box. I added it to my trailer and have enjoyed the extra storage. I installed it myself and ordered it thru an AS dealer.

extiger is offline   Reply With Quote