Old 01-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Whidbey Island , Washington
Airstream Model Lineup

Pardon me if this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, as I expect it has. That said, I am prospecting Airstream trailers and am confused on the model lineup. Apart from length and floorplans, what are the primary differences between the models? Flying Cloud, International Signature, International Serenity, etc. The special models such as the Eddie Bauer and the Land Yacht are self evident.

If there is a pre-existing thread I'd appreciate directions to it.
Many thanks!
Chris

Old 01-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
The short answer is price and the interior finish out: cabinet finishes, fabric or leather choices, and counter finishes. Most if not all of the appliances and fixtures are the same.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
The short answer is price and the interior finish out: cabinet finishes, fabric or leather choices, and counter finishes. Most if not all of the appliances and fixtures are the same.
Perfect! Thank you!
Old 01-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
I failed to mention floor finishes as well. Varies a bit model-to-model.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Christopher, you may go to AIRSTREAM .COM and peruse the entire selection...loads of information there. Certainly, enough to help you make a decision.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Here is a link via the largest east coast dealer website (Colonial Airstream) to the 2016 Airstream catalog:

http://colonialairstream.com/Airstre...el_trailer.pdf

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:22 PM   #7
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Here is a link via the largest east coast dealer website (Colonial Airstream) to the 2016 Airstream catalog:

http://colonialairstream.com/Airstre...el_trailer.pdf
Ha Ha Thanks! I've been perusing their site all day!!
Old 01-14-2016, 11:31 PM   #8
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
As Cannonball said, it's basically décor.

One thing to consider is your camping style. The white interior upholstery looks great when it's pristine, but how difficult is it to keep it that way if you and the dog wind up hiking on a dirt trail in the rain? The dark-interior Internationals may look sophisticated and will hide the dirt, but can have a dark feeling if you're indoors on a rainy day. We went for the Flying Cloud because that tan-golden interior feels light and bright. These are attributes probably best experienced with walk-throughs.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:56 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Airstream Adventures Seattle is worth a trip. Look at all the versions they have in stock. The Seattle, Oregon, Boise and Bay Area dealers are owned by the same group and can exchange trailers if the one you want is not in stock locally.

Look a little deeper as well. Tires/wheels (upgrade here, maybe); windows; bed configuration and location; galley layout and appliances; storage (how you might use it); battery location/type, inverter and converter (consider an upgrade and maybe solar); blinds; vent fans; air conditioner type, location and number; toilet, shower and privacy; and type of seating, dinette or sofa.

When you get close to negotiating a purchase, check with Tosconos in Los Banos and at least one other dealer besides the Adventure group. If you choose to go with a used coach take care it is good shape, but travel may be your friend. That is certainly why you want an AS.

Good luck with putting a smile on your face. That's also why you want an AS. Pat
Old 01-15-2016, 11:06 PM   #10
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Airstream Adventures Seattle is worth a trip. Look at all the versions they have in stock. The Seattle, Oregon, Boise and Bay Area dealers are owned by the same group and can exchange trailers if the one you want is not in stock locally.

Look a little deeper as well. Tires/wheels (upgrade here, maybe); windows; bed configuration and location; galley layout and appliances; storage (how you might use it); battery location/type, inverter and converter (consider an upgrade and maybe solar); blinds; vent fans; air conditioner type, location and number; toilet, shower and privacy; and type of seating, dinette or sofa.

When you get close to negotiating a purchase, check with Tosconos in Los Banos and at least one other dealer besides the Adventure group. If you choose to go with a used coach take care it is good shape, but travel may be your friend. That is certainly why you want an AS.

Good luck with putting a smile on your face. That's also why you want an AS. Pat
Good advice and great insight. Thanks Pat!
Chris
Old 01-16-2016, 10:23 AM   #11
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
As Cannonball said, it's basically décor.

One thing to consider is your camping style. The white interior upholstery looks great when it's pristine, but how difficult is it to keep it that way if you and the dog wind up hiking on a dirt trail in the rain? The dark-interior Internationals may look sophisticated and will hide the dirt, but can have a dark feeling if you're indoors on a rainy day. We went for the Flying Cloud because that tan-golden interior feels light and bright. These are attributes probably best experienced with walk-throughs.
Ah-so, I get it. That would be primarily why I notice so many Flying Cloud owners.
Thanks!
Old 01-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Second the visit Airstream Adventures NW recommendation! They have a great selection of sizes and models and you can see them all in one place. In Oct I got a great "winter" deal on a 2015 after 2016 models were put. The people are really great too! So much different than car dealer sales sharks!

There are interior finish differences between FC and Intnl of course. You'll have to decide what you like. I liked the wood look finish of the FC, but in my old Safari I kept hitting my head on the open overhead doors. Ouch! So we just upgraded from 2006 to 2015 models and went Intnl. There are external differences as far as stowage compartments and amount of stowage too.

But the bigger differences are floor plan. We went from 25 to 28 for a couple things: separate couch and dinette, more storage in bedroom. Both sizes had separate showers and toilet which we like, and separate frig / freezer which we like. The 27 and 28 models are the same length but different layouts. So look at a variety of layouts, think about how you will live in the layout on a daily basis, where you will stow things, whether you will have to wait for the wife to finish in the shower before you can get into the bathroom, etc. yes, we AS people are spoiled with creature comforts... ain't it great!?

Have fun! Shopping and buying is almost as fun as camping!
Old 01-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #13
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
The hunt is fun. We enjoyed looking at the differences in color and finish. Ten years ago there were huge differences in interior appearance between Classic, International and Flying Cloud. Last five years this seems reduced a lot.

Agree with previous opinion to choose by the amenities and brightness/tone to suit you. Lots of really good choices now in the Airstream lineup.

Dreamstreamr
2005 International CCD 25SS
Http://Dreamstreamr.com

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:08 AM   #14
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
Second the visit Airstream Adventures NW recommendation! They have a great selection of sizes and models and you can see them all in one place. In Oct I got a great "winter" deal on a 2015 after 2016 models were put. The people are really great too! So much different than car dealer sales sharks!

There are interior finish differences between FC and Intnl of course. You'll have to decide what you like. I liked the wood look finish of the FC, but in my old Safari I kept hitting my head on the open overhead doors. Ouch! So we just upgraded from 2006 to 2015 models and went Intnl. There are external differences as far as stowage compartments and amount of stowage too.

But the bigger differences are floor plan. We went from 25 to 28 for a couple things: separate couch and dinette, more storage in bedroom. Both sizes had separate showers and toilet which we like, and separate frig / freezer which we like. The 27 and 28 models are the same length but different layouts. So look at a variety of layouts, think about how you will live in the layout on a daily basis, where you will stow things, whether you will have to wait for the wife to finish in the shower before you can get into the bathroom, etc. yes, we AS people are spoiled with creature comforts... ain't it great!?

Have fun! Shopping and buying is almost as fun as camping!
Good information. Given my experience with our 36' Tiffin diesel pusher, I believe that our primary camping style will be in smallish campgrounds with limited or no hookups. Maneuvering room will be tight at times which is one reason we decided to downsize. What has been your experience with the 28?