Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Whidbey Island , Washington
Airstream Model Lineup

Pardon me if this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, as I expect it has. That said, I am prospecting Airstream trailers and am confused on the model lineup. Apart from length and floorplans, what are the primary differences between the models? Flying Cloud, International Signature, International Serenity, etc. The special models such as the Eddie Bauer and the Land Yacht are self evident.

If there is a pre-existing thread I'd appreciate directions to it.
Many thanks!
Chris
christopherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
The short answer is price and the interior finish out: cabinet finishes, fabric or leather choices, and counter finishes. Most if not all of the appliances and fixtures are the same.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
The short answer is price and the interior finish out: cabinet finishes, fabric or leather choices, and counter finishes. Most if not all of the appliances and fixtures are the same.
Perfect! Thank you!
Old 01-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I failed to mention floor finishes as well. Varies a bit model-to-model.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Christopher, you may go to AIRSTREAM .COM and peruse the entire selection...loads of information there. Certainly, enough to help you make a decision.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Here is a link via the largest east coast dealer website (Colonial Airstream) to the 2016 Airstream catalog:

http://colonialairstream.com/Airstre...el_trailer.pdf

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:22 PM   #7
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Here is a link via the largest east coast dealer website (Colonial Airstream) to the 2016 Airstream catalog:

http://colonialairstream.com/Airstre...el_trailer.pdf
Ha Ha Thanks! I've been perusing their site all day!!
Old 01-14-2016, 10:31 PM   #8
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
As Cannonball said, it's basically décor.

One thing to consider is your camping style. The white interior upholstery looks great when it's pristine, but how difficult is it to keep it that way if you and the dog wind up hiking on a dirt trail in the rain? The dark-interior Internationals may look sophisticated and will hide the dirt, but can have a dark feeling if you're indoors on a rainy day. We went for the Flying Cloud because that tan-golden interior feels light and bright. These are attributes probably best experienced with walk-throughs.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:56 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Airstream Adventures Seattle is worth a trip. Look at all the versions they have in stock. The Seattle, Oregon, Boise and Bay Area dealers are owned by the same group and can exchange trailers if the one you want is not in stock locally.

Look a little deeper as well. Tires/wheels (upgrade here, maybe); windows; bed configuration and location; galley layout and appliances; storage (how you might use it); battery location/type, inverter and converter (consider an upgrade and maybe solar); blinds; vent fans; air conditioner type, location and number; toilet, shower and privacy; and type of seating, dinette or sofa.

When you get close to negotiating a purchase, check with Tosconos in Los Banos and at least one other dealer besides the Adventure group. If you choose to go with a used coach take care it is good shape, but travel may be your friend. That is certainly why you want an AS.

Good luck with putting a smile on your face. That's also why you want an AS. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #10
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Airstream Adventures Seattle is worth a trip. Look at all the versions they have in stock. The Seattle, Oregon, Boise and Bay Area dealers are owned by the same group and can exchange trailers if the one you want is not in stock locally.

Look a little deeper as well. Tires/wheels (upgrade here, maybe); windows; bed configuration and location; galley layout and appliances; storage (how you might use it); battery location/type, inverter and converter (consider an upgrade and maybe solar); blinds; vent fans; air conditioner type, location and number; toilet, shower and privacy; and type of seating, dinette or sofa.

When you get close to negotiating a purchase, check with Tosconos in Los Banos and at least one other dealer besides the Adventure group. If you choose to go with a used coach take care it is good shape, but travel may be your friend. That is certainly why you want an AS.

Good luck with putting a smile on your face. That's also why you want an AS. Pat
Good advice and great insight. Thanks Pat!
Chris
Old 01-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #11
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
As Cannonball said, it's basically décor.

One thing to consider is your camping style. The white interior upholstery looks great when it's pristine, but how difficult is it to keep it that way if you and the dog wind up hiking on a dirt trail in the rain? The dark-interior Internationals may look sophisticated and will hide the dirt, but can have a dark feeling if you're indoors on a rainy day. We went for the Flying Cloud because that tan-golden interior feels light and bright. These are attributes probably best experienced with walk-throughs.
Ah-so, I get it. That would be primarily why I notice so many Flying Cloud owners.
Thanks!
Old 01-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Second the visit Airstream Adventures NW recommendation! They have a great selection of sizes and models and you can see them all in one place. In Oct I got a great "winter" deal on a 2015 after 2016 models were put. The people are really great too! So much different than car dealer sales sharks!

There are interior finish differences between FC and Intnl of course. You'll have to decide what you like. I liked the wood look finish of the FC, but in my old Safari I kept hitting my head on the open overhead doors. Ouch! So we just upgraded from 2006 to 2015 models and went Intnl. There are external differences as far as stowage compartments and amount of stowage too.

But the bigger differences are floor plan. We went from 25 to 28 for a couple things: separate couch and dinette, more storage in bedroom. Both sizes had separate showers and toilet which we like, and separate frig / freezer which we like. The 27 and 28 models are the same length but different layouts. So look at a variety of layouts, think about how you will live in the layout on a daily basis, where you will stow things, whether you will have to wait for the wife to finish in the shower before you can get into the bathroom, etc. yes, we AS people are spoiled with creature comforts... ain't it great!?

Have fun! Shopping and buying is almost as fun as camping!
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
The hunt is fun. We enjoyed looking at the differences in color and finish. Ten years ago there were huge differences in interior appearance between Classic, International and Flying Cloud. Last five years this seems reduced a lot.

Agree with previous opinion to choose by the amenities and brightness/tone to suit you. Lots of really good choices now in the Airstream lineup.

Dreamstreamr
2005 International CCD 25SS
http://Dreamstreamr.com

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:08 PM   #14
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
Second the visit Airstream Adventures NW recommendation! They have a great selection of sizes and models and you can see them all in one place. In Oct I got a great "winter" deal on a 2015 after 2016 models were put. The people are really great too! So much different than car dealer sales sharks!

There are interior finish differences between FC and Intnl of course. You'll have to decide what you like. I liked the wood look finish of the FC, but in my old Safari I kept hitting my head on the open overhead doors. Ouch! So we just upgraded from 2006 to 2015 models and went Intnl. There are external differences as far as stowage compartments and amount of stowage too.

But the bigger differences are floor plan. We went from 25 to 28 for a couple things: separate couch and dinette, more storage in bedroom. Both sizes had separate showers and toilet which we like, and separate frig / freezer which we like. The 27 and 28 models are the same length but different layouts. So look at a variety of layouts, think about how you will live in the layout on a daily basis, where you will stow things, whether you will have to wait for the wife to finish in the shower before you can get into the bathroom, etc. yes, we AS people are spoiled with creature comforts... ain't it great!?

Have fun! Shopping and buying is almost as fun as camping!
Good information. Given my experience with our 36' Tiffin diesel pusher, I believe that our primary camping style will be in smallish campgrounds with limited or no hookups. Maneuvering room will be tight at times which is one reason we decided to downsize. What has been your experience with the 28?
Old 01-16-2016, 11:11 PM   #15
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
The hunt is fun. We enjoyed looking at the differences in color and finish. Ten years ago there were huge differences in interior appearance between Classic, International and Flying Cloud. Last five years this seems reduced a lot.

Agree with previous opinion to choose by the amenities and brightness/tone to suit you. Lots of really good choices now in the Airstream lineup.

Dreamstreamr
2005 International CCD 25SS
http://Dreamstreamr.com
Would you say the reduction in the dramatic range of interior finishes might have coincided with AS's takeover by THOR? The timing you mention sounds about right.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Just to nit pick, the 27' models are 28' long and the 28' models are 27' 11" long.

Take time to look at the same model with both twin beds and the larger single mattress. Note that the Flying Cloud and Classic trim lines have twin bed floor plans in the literature. The International trim lines have been seen with twin beds for an amazing uncharge $$$$$. There is more storage with the twin beds with outside access on both sides and the front or rear depending on the bed location. In some models, there could be a roof locker over the window and a hanging locker at the foot of the bed.

As a heads up, the 28' foot, 23FB and 30' Bunk models allow the main door to open across one of the dinette windows or bed room window. If the window were open, broken glass could result.

Look at the black plumbing for the waste disposal. Sone models have the valves protected inside the tank box and others have them exposed to the weather. The exposed valves could need to be wrapped with a heat tape and insulation if the unit is used in cold weather.

Check to see if the 19' and 23D model actually have the toilet angled to the wall like in the literature. Ours was straight out and the user's left knee makes closing the door difficult. Also sit on the throne in every unit to be sure there is adequate room for knees and maneuvering.

Look under the kitchen sink to see where the water filter is located. Are your arms long enough to reach in and swap out the filter?

As you narrow your choices on the floor plans, start opening hatches to see where the water pump is located and valves for the outside shower are located. Test the furnace to see if hot air actually comes out of every duct.

Spend several hours in each model. Sit at the dinette and look towards the television. If your head is turned, will that be comfortable for a long viewing period? On some you might have to sit cross wise on the the seat to see the television. Is that comfortable for your legs? The cushions on the furniture are not known for their padding, so are they comfortable for an hour or so? If not, the insides can be replaced with better materials.

Try the mattress for comfort. On the cross frame bed (25FB) model, sit up in bed and see if you hit your head on the roof locker. Can you put stuff in the locker without climbing on the bed? Visualize how you will put on a mattress pad, sheets and blanket. On some models, being a contortionist will help. :roll eyes:

We have both a 23D and a twin bed 31' Classic. Making the bed is a challenge in both models. Many folks change out their mattress for better ones. We went with the Rocky Mountain mattress company (send the drawing for the custom shape) and put their 8" model in both our 25FB and the Classic. Airstream's 600,thread custom sheets fit the 8" mattress just fine. We put a 10" in the 23D and got the bedding from Rocky Mountain. Their top sheet has a fitted pocket at the bottom of the top sheet so it does not pull out when sleeping.

Look at each model as a clean slate for you to customize to your specific camping needs.

Starting in 2015, the Classics lost their unique interior and now look more like a glorified International model which cut a lot of cost out of building the trailer and at the same time they raised the price over 25%.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherb View Post
Would you say the reduction in the dramatic range of interior finishes might have coincided with AS's takeover by THOR? The timing you mention sounds about right.
Good question. When did AS become Thor. Didnt the AS people create Thor by purchases? Cant remember, anyone know for sure?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Thor history

In 1980, Wade Thompson and Peter Orthwein founded Thor Industries when they purchased Airstream. Note the first two letters of their last names. I cannot be certain, but I think AS was in some financial difficulty at that time and these two saved it. The down side is the same manufacturing philosophy we often discuss, that is, quality control issues, remains and no doubt will until Mr O retires. But, without the two we may have seen AS go down the drain.
For the complete history of Thor, go here:

Thor Industries - About Thor - Our History
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
International Signature Twins

[QUOTE=switz;1737295] Note that the Flying Cloud and Classic trim lines have twin bed floor plans in the literature. The International trim lines have been seen with twin beds for an amazing uncharge $$$$$.

It is my understanding that you can now order an International model with no upcharge for twin beds. A friend of mine is awaiting delivery of a 2016 Int. Signature that will come with twin beds. Original order was for rear queen but they called the dealer just to see what it would cost to get the twins and got a pleasant surprise, they could change it with NO upcharge.

Not positive if it applies to all versions of the Int. line, again, this is the Signature Series.

I'm almost afraid to look at it when it comes in 'cause it might be the one thing that would give me thoughts to consider trading .
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
You have heard a lot of great ideas. Looking at them in person is the way to go. Airstream Northwest usually has a pretty good inventory so go take a look.

We have an '06 Safari which turned into the Flying Cloud a few years later. We picked up a 25FB used and remain happy with it. We do however, have a case of the 2 footitis malady and have been looking at 27s. We prefer the Flying Cloud over the International for one main reason. The overhead storage compartments have solid doors that lift up. Internationals have sliding doors that open left or right, are made out of a translucent plastic and are lit behind for some kind of mood lighting. Our lifestyle usually has us cramming all sorts of things in the overhead compartments that we would rather keep out of sight. With the doors open, the entire space is open for access. Sliding the slider to the right keeps everything on the left unavailable.

Small issue granted, but big enough for us go in one direction. I think that will be the case when you start really looking closely. We don't like the white table tops, the very dark wood walls and the doors that open into windows. None of these, singularly, would stop us from getting a particular unit but I think the cabinets would.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote