Old 04-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Say whatever you will, it's a HUGE improvement over those Sterling - obsidium violet and baby-poop yellow models.

I can't imagine that a teak floor and a sandy campground are a good combo... So while I like a lot of the ideas... I'm getting more and more ready to pay someone to build out a vintage unit for me.

And I'd probably start with an AVION for the frame and generally superior leak proclivity. (I know they DO develop leaks, but there are a couple of trouble areas on the later ones... not every rivet, seam, window frame and vent.

I really like the style of the 30 Serenity with recliners and the 27 FB Eddie Bauer - but style can only cover up cheap bones for a few months.

Paula

Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Say whatever you will, it's a HUGE improvement over those Sterling - obsidium violet and baby-poop yellow models.
Part of me is scheming to buy a 5 year old Sterling, after it sits unwanted in the Classifieds for a while, and get those floors redone. I do like the cabinets.

$150k is $125k after the normal discount. I could see 10-20 Land Yachts being sold as actors trailers or for poolside cabanas. There's probably a lot of profit in this trailer for the mother ship. Nothing wrong with that.

But gosh, I wish AS would make the upgrades Gene listed. They're not sexy, but they'd add satisfaction by solving common problems. Call it the "heavy-duty" package or something.

Tom

Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #31
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Part of me is scheming to buy a 5 year old Sterling, after it sits unwanted in the Classifieds for a while, and get those floors redone. I do like the cabinets.
THANK YOU. I just don't understand the thinking behind the purple floors. are these carpet, BTW? would would want this?
Old 04-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
TETO....

We have no competent interior design firms here in the US?

Bob
Design ideas move across national boundaries. Usually there is a reaction to current popular design and people look back at older designs and come up with something that looks "new", but is a blend of old and contemporary. Cars with big wheels and fenders molded around the wheels are copied from cars from the 1930's, especially some of the French designs, as well as the Jaguars of the 1950's and '60's. All those contemporary sedans with a stretched arch over the windows remind me of 1930's Bugattis.

Airstreams are basically a retro design. Look at Art Deco and Machine Age (brief article at Machine Age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) designs before WW II—lots of metal, crisp lines, streamlined curves and design that emphasizes practicality and speed. Art Deco colors are silver and black. One version of that time were the electric and diesel locomotives of that era. Another inspiration was the airplanes of that time. Wally adapted the airplane fuselage as the design for a trailer.

If you go back further, influences from England and later, Asia, changed design during the late 19th century. The overblown furniture of the mid Victorian era was countered by the designs of Eastlake (British, 1860's) featuring more angular design. Chinese and Japanese (Japonism, a French word) designs influenced later furniture leading in the US to Arts and Crafts, Craftsman, Mission and Stickley designs. Frank Lloyd Wright was much influenced by this and even built a hotel in Japan (started in 1915) blending his Prairie Style with even more Japanese influence.

Early Airstreams had swept back rear similar to design concepts of some cars such as the Auburn Boattail Speedster (early '30's). It makes them look fast like an airplane. The smooth, curved lines of the Airstream are similar to the changes in auto design—look at Auburn's Cord or the late '30's Lincolns.

Over time the Airstream has been squared for more usable inner space. The Art Deco influence remains. Modern trim lines with plastic and bright colors don't appeal to us, so we chose the simpler Safari with aluminum interior—seems more traditional to us. The dark windows set into the aluminum exterior do recreate Art Deco colors on the outside. We had the cushions redone in burgundy, a color used with Mission Oak cushions. We have a Pendleton blanket on the bed—more angular Indian design which fits with the rest of the interior (Navajo designs became popular at the beginning of the 20th Century too).

Design comes from everywhere.

Gene
Old 04-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #33
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
I'll take two...

"Let's not make changes, let's make only improvements," was his familiar refrain."

Bob
Gene,

The design world is indeed global.
But are we not the worlds best copy cats?
Collaboration, ie paying, the overseas firm seems unnecessary at best.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Gene,

The design world is indeed global.
But are we not the worlds best copy cats?
Collaboration, ie paying, the overseas firm seems unnecessary at best.

Bob
Bob, maybe they worked cheaper—that would be the way Airstream does things. Will the time come when Airstreams are made in China and shipped here? If they can ship coal, also heavy, to China from the US, and make a profit, why not ship Airstreams here?

The problem seems to me to be that Airstream lacks imagination. New designs, or designs that appeal to people, are not that hard to do. Many of us have made recommendations to the company for years and have been ignored. Those ideas were free too. Airstream, in pursuit of ideas, seems to be impressed by famous firms wherever they are, rather than thinking inside the box. They are looking to sell to the rich and famous rather than satisfying the bulk of their customers—middle and upper middle class. It hasn't worked because these snazzy designs don't sell well, and seem to end up costing more than they bring in.

Maybe being isolated in a small town in rural Ohio robs Airstream of imagination. Real improvements and design choices for Airstream were made years ago when the company was located in California.

Gene
Old 05-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I noticed that the Land Yacht had the same old black steel steps as any trailer like a $10,000 JaycomSwift. Why wouldn't they put the nice machined aluminum steps like the Classic?
Old 05-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I noticed that the Land Yacht had the same old black steel steps as any trailer like a $10,000 JaycomSwift. Why wouldn't they put the nice machined aluminum steps like the Classic?
There's the rub. Every designer AS uses the same old appliances, same floorplans, and same infrastructure. Everytime I hear AS has a new model I get excited until I see the same old floorplans repeated over and over again. BORING. While I appreciate the concept of a Yacht interior, how about a real AIRCRAFT interior. Afterall, how many boats do you know of that use vintage aluminum aircraft manufaacturing techniques. Lets start with a clean slate. First things first. A FIRST CLASS cabin complete with modern full reclining First class style seats. Sure they are expensive but man are they cool. A dual purpose chair with the ability to actually lay flat and sleep two or three additional people in the same space wasted by dinettes and those godawful "lounges". You can build in the same dining trays and do away with the dinette altogether.

The galley needs the same attention. Lets start with an induction cooktop.
Same for the shower and potty. Start by making them of a size actually usable by real people like you and me. Next do away with those AWFUL corner beds. Take a lesson from real aircraft and make everything 50% lighter. Cut the tongue/hitch weight by 50%, increase the carrying capacity by at least 25%, and improve overall towability and make them more sustainable over the long run.

THEN I might get excited.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
In the car biz, this is what's known as a "halo" unit. Note that the WSJ article included the stock symbol for Thor Industries. I suspect that it will create buzz and floor traffic that may lead to sales of lesser priced (if there is such a thing) Airstreams. Having own a classic Chris-Craft and a Grand Banks, I see no issues with sandy feet.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Heretofore I had the most expensive Airstream. I can't imagine anyone would really pay over a hundred grand for the new Land Yacht. It is a miilionaire's toy, not something to really travel with. The Classic seems a little more practical for every day use. I wish the Classic had real oak hardwood floors instead of vinyl. Some models remind me of the 60's and 70's Airstreams more so than the Classic, but the Classic's traditional design is more to my liking. That hickory wood will not get dated, and if it does it will look like an old trailer- not necessarily a bad thing. Vintage woot trailer interiors are cool.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Classic interior resembles a traditional home. The International looks like a boutique hotel or a movie star house. the new Land Yacht I assume is supposed to look like an Italian yacht. I guess some models still use tambour doors like the sixties and seventies Airstreams...
Old 05-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
While I appreciate the concept of a Yacht interior, how about a real AIRCRAFT interior. Afterall, how many boats do you know of that use vintage aluminum aircraft manufaacturing techniques.
Quoting myself here, but you know? I did discover an airplane based boat! The plane ws a Boeing 307 and was originally owned by Howard Hughes. Now if Airstream could copy this interior!

Plane or Boat?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The trouble with changing the basic floor plans is that weight has to be clustered over the axles and even on both sides. When Airstream tried some models with heavy rear ends without significantly strengthening the trailer, rear end sag occurred (a problem many people develop over time too). I agree they could be more creative, but they seem to be only interested in window dressing.

Gene