Old 09-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Airstream Hybrid...?

With Ford & Toyota announcing their cooperation to develop a rear wheel drive hybrid system for larger vehicles - could an Airstream Hybrid be in our future? Ready for an F-150 Hybrid? Ford-Toyota Hybrid Pickup Tech Testing Continues - WOT on Motor Trend

Think about it - Ford is going to be building pickups (2014 model year) with Aluminum body panels, just like our favorite TT...

I could see a future program by RV Mfg's to create a hybrid type drive with Lithium batteries and electric motor/generator hubs, to apply 'power' to the trailer axles when in an 'uphill' mode, and recharge the batteries when in 'down hill' mode...

The 'charging' mode would also assist with downhill braking as a normal by-product...

Now if we could get Ford to 'option' their 2014 pickups with 'unpainted' aluminum body panels - now we'd really have a matching TV!

You heard it here first...AirHD...The RV of the future, Airstream Hybrid Drive...!

Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I like this hybrid F150 better 40mpg city and still able to tow as much or more.
Ford developing 40MPG gas-hydraulic hybrid F-150?

Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Ford has been using Toyota hybrid technology since the first hybrid Escape. There is a lot more sharing in the automotive industry than we are told.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
I like this hybrid F150 better 40mpg city and still able to tow as much or more.
Ford developing 40MPG gas-hydraulic hybrid F-150?
The naive, Boy Scout, part of me says, Man-o-Man, I hope this is true!

The skeptical side of me says there's nothing to it--internet hype. Why wouldn't any manufacturer rush this to market and improve upon it over time? 40MPG in a 1/2 ton truck. Lead pipe cinch, it'll be a hit and way ahead of anybody else.

The practical side of me says I'll actually stick a crow bar in my wallet and buy if the claims in that article are anywhere near close to truth.

Keep in mind that I will only ever own a Ford. A Big Fan of their products. Hope it's true.

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
We pull our airstream trailer with a gas-guzzling ford e-350 van. (we have a large family and the nine of us don't fit into a truck and we can't afford a diesel van.) We ordered a "hybrid" sticker on the Internet which makes our van look more environmentally-friendly! I realize this is not what this thread is about, but I get a great laugh when people compliment us (frequently) on our "hybrid"--- most people seem to have no idea what that means even when it is announced by the manufacturer as opposed to our pretend hybrid!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
There are lots of great ideas that don't make it because of durability issues, or the costs are just too much. Just like when the Prius first came out - a lot of the math didn't make sense for people, but Toyota went after the green-crowd. With gas going up and up, suddenly they are 10 years ahead and the economics make sense.

Same with the trucks... if I fill up my work truck and 2 jerry cans, I often hit $250. Suddenly saving 20% is a big deal. We're flirting with $1.50 a litre here ($6 a gallon)...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
Maniacal Engineer
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I liked reading that article... back in the early 80s, I designed and built a hydraulic hybrid powerplant for a car for my master's thesis in Mechanical Engineering. Such systems have been used in buses, etc; they're ideally suited for heavier vehicles since there's a lot of experience with high powered hydraulics.

I'd be surprised if this makes it into production, but it is a neat piece of technology. Using the planetary continuously variable transmission ala the Prius is a nice touch; this will allow them to keep the engine on a more efficient part of it's power curve.

I would be very surprised if they achieve 40 mpg in a EPA city driving cycle, though.

- Bart

Bart Smaalders
Menlo Park, CA
barts is offline   Reply With Quote