Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
Airstream Guest Room

We might have a full house for the holidays and I'm thinking of using the trailer as a guest room. Any tips? Decor ideas, to make it homey for guests? Should I skirt it/partially winterize it? (We've never winterized it before either!) Thanks!
RG Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You are going to have to keep it heated if you don't winterize it. When your guests are gone you can keep it heated or winterize again. You might want to practice winterizing it and get it down to an art. I am going to have to face the same issues around Christmas with the mother-in-law comes to visit. Have good bedding and maybe even a TV that works and figure out how to deal with waste issues because they will want to use the bathroom.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
"Keeping it heated" is exponential to one's fondness towards their guest.

Okay. In all seriousness, I am surprised you have never had to winterize - I thought Oregon could get pretty cold too. I am currently in winterize crisis mode (see my last thread).

Aside from that, I think your Airstream would be a cute Christmas guest house.

A live potted mini Christmas tree on the dinette would be cute. Some Christmas throw cushions on lounge/bed would make it really homey and seasonal. Make sure the fridge is stocked with some goodies. A plug-in coffee maker and kettle for tea/hot chocolate mix would be good too; a guest would be intimidated about lighting the range top.

Most guests really appreciate using their own shower. I'm sure they would also like to use the trailer washroom too. I am kinda funny about other peoples' "waste issues" with my new trailer, but that's my hang up.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coleman View Post
We might have a full house for the holidays and I'm thinking of using the trailer as a guest room. Any tips? Decor ideas, to make it homey for guests? Should I skirt it/partially winterize it? (We've never winterized it before either!) Thanks!
Don't let them in it, they'll just mess it up.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We use ours as a guest room too. Has a TV and we bought a ceramic heater which is quiet and does a great job of keeping the interior cozy.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Most of the time when we have family staying over and the 'spare' bedroom isn't enough for any overflow the front room becomes a campground....especially in winter. The fireplace is a magnet. However, our grandaughters, 17 and 23, really enjoyed the Airstream. I placed an oil radiator heater in it aleviating their need to fiddle with the propane heater....and the oil heater left on low keeps the trailer really cozy.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
I don't know anything about where you live, but around HERE the local constabulary will not allow us to keep our AS in the driveway for more than 48 hours - some local ordinance about multiple dwellings or gypsies. If your city council is as vigilant as ours, you may want to check with them first ...
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The GRINCH that Stole X-Mas

Seriously.

YOU stay in the Airstream. Let your guests have the master bedroom.

Someone will flush a tampon or worse! Someone will turn the Gas on the stove without realizing they need to turn the clicker or light the burner with a match. Someone will wash their undies in the bathroom sink and walk away for 7 minutes with the water running. Your Airstream isn't safe in the hands of the unsupervised and inexperienced guest.

I've loaned mine out after running a thorough training session. No permanent damage, but how can I say this nicely? One of my guests needs more fiber in his diet. I use a Sewer Solution - and getting rid of the "Captain's Logs" was an hour and a half process with the mascerator. The boy must eat plaster of paris by the kilo!

ho-ho-ho... Paula
Old 11-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Listen to Paula, she is correct! The unsupervised and inexperienced can destroy more stuff in a day than you can repair all year.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Listen to Paula, she is correct! The unsupervised and inexperienced can destroy more stuff in a day than you can repair all year.
I can tell you from experience, that if there are children involved, it will take more like minutes rather a day.

Ken
Old 11-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Matawan , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I've loaned mine out after running a thorough training session. No permanent damage, but how can I say this nicely? One of my guests needs more fiber in his diet. I use a Sewer Solution - and getting rid of the "Captain's Logs" was an hour and a half process with the mascerator. The boy must eat plaster of paris by the kilo!

ho-ho-ho... Paula
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I can tell you from experience, that if there are children involved, it will take more like minutes rather a day.

Ken
Thanks guys...I NEEDED a good laugh today!

2007 23' Safari SE Lounge (IdaJune)
'05 Toyota 4Runner LE 4.7 V8 4WD w/ tow package
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Tin Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well you have to make a judgement call. Is it better to have the mother in law in the trailer or in the house where she can do some real damage to your mental health. I would use it as a bedroom and don't turn on any gas so they can't get into too much trouble. Tell them only to pee in the toilet. They can come inside to launch the Titanic. Also not a bad idea to just run off the fresh water tank because they can only use as much water as is in the tank.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Well you have to make a judgement call. Is it better to have the mother in law in the trailer or in the house where she can do some real damage to your mental health. I would use it as a bedroom and don't turn on any gas so they can't get into too much trouble. Tell them only to pee in the toilet. They can come inside to launch the Titanic. Also not a bad idea to just run off the fresh water tank because they can only use as much water as is in the tank.

Perry
"Launch the Titanic?" Oh pleeeeeeeeze....there goes my peppermint tea all over the screen.

How apro pos, since many also recommend putting a bag of ice into the tank.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
OMG!! I hadn't thought about a lot of this! Great advice, folks, thanks!! More?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
We've not had to use the Airstream as overflow sleeping yet but when we do, Mrs Toad and I will be out on the drive, everyone else can share the house!

We were about to repair to the Airstream the other night when the power went down all over town, it being sufficiently self-contained to keep us warm and light for a few hours without shore power. The outage ended before we set up camp but it would have been nice to sit in the Airstream, lights blazing, while everyone else huddled around candles and flashlights. Charitable sort of Toad, aren't I?

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Any tips? Decor ideas, to make it homey for guests?
We used ours for a Guest House at Christmas-time a couple of years ago when we had a full-house...we turned it into the "Pink Flamingo Room". Our regular Guest Room was the Penguin Room...which would be another idea due to the igloo-like nature of an Airstream.

Anyways, we had a small aluminum Christmas tree set up and decorated with pink flamingo ornaments, pink lights and a piece of sparkly pink lame' fabric as the tree skirt. We also strung pink lights in the windows with sparkly silver garland and made the bed with our Nick & Nora (Airstreams & flamingos) flannel sheets. We placed our plastic pink flamingos (with their tiny little Santa Hats -of course!) in the snow along the pathway from the house. That year we had a verrry "White Christmas" with three feet on the ground!

Both rooms were very well received...it made staying in the Airstream a "treat" rather than "being banished in the backyard trailer..." and the guests playfully fought over who got to stay where. Although, before they arrived, I also sent a "Reservation Confirmation" for the themed rooms like a swanky B&B would do...the whole thing was a lot of fun (and can be filed in my "If it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing" file! For some reason I can't find the pictures (I'll have to keep looking).

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
What is the bag of ice in the tank for? (Or are you kidding? I'm such a n00b.)
Old 11-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Quote:
What is the bag of ice in the tank for? (Or are you kidding? I'm such a n00b.)
In this case it won't help unless you tow the trailer.

However, if you, just prior to traveling, dump a bag of ice into the black tank (through the toilet) along with sufficient water, the ice will help break up solid materials and to some extent clean the tank walls while it sloshes around.

Ken
Old 11-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Paulas right. You stay in the Airstream..them in the house. It would never be the same after "guests" use it.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
P.S. We don't de-winterize for guests...they use the house facilities. It's used just as a guest bedroom...not suite, don't want them to get too comfortable!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guest room