Old 11-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
We've not had to use the Airstream as overflow sleeping yet but when we do, Mrs Toad and I will be out on the drive, everyone else can share the house!

We were about to repair to the Airstream the other night when the power went down all over town, it being sufficiently self-contained to keep us warm and light for a few hours without shore power. The outage ended before we set up camp but it would have been nice to sit in the Airstream, lights blazing, while everyone else huddled around candles and flashlights. Charitable sort of Toad, aren't I?

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coleman View Post
Any tips? Decor ideas, to make it homey for guests?
We used ours for a Guest House at Christmas-time a couple of years ago when we had a full-house...we turned it into the "Pink Flamingo Room". Our regular Guest Room was the Penguin Room...which would be another idea due to the igloo-like nature of an Airstream.

Anyways, we had a small aluminum Christmas tree set up and decorated with pink flamingo ornaments, pink lights and a piece of sparkly pink lame' fabric as the tree skirt. We also strung pink lights in the windows with sparkly silver garland and made the bed with our Nick & Nora (Airstreams & flamingos) flannel sheets. We placed our plastic pink flamingos (with their tiny little Santa Hats -of course!) in the snow along the pathway from the house. That year we had a verrry "White Christmas" with three feet on the ground!

Both rooms were very well received...it made staying in the Airstream a "treat" rather than "being banished in the backyard trailer..." and the guests playfully fought over who got to stay where. Although, before they arrived, I also sent a "Reservation Confirmation" for the themed rooms like a swanky B&B would do...the whole thing was a lot of fun (and can be filed in my "If it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing" file! For some reason I can't find the pictures (I'll have to keep looking).

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
What is the bag of ice in the tank for? (Or are you kidding? I'm such a n00b.)
Old 11-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #18
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
In this case it won't help unless you tow the trailer.

However, if you, just prior to traveling, dump a bag of ice into the black tank (through the toilet) along with sufficient water, the ice will help break up solid materials and to some extent clean the tank walls while it sloshes around.

Ken
Old 11-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Paulas right. You stay in the Airstream..them in the house. It would never be the same after "guests" use it.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
P.S. We don't de-winterize for guests...they use the house facilities. It's used just as a guest bedroom...not suite, don't want them to get too comfortable!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
The bag of ice is to knock the solids in the black tank loose before dumping. You put ice in and drive it around. The ice is hard enough to loosen things up, but then conveniently melts away for draining.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Paulas right. You stay in the Airstream..them in the house. It would never be the same after "guests" use it.
I think you and Paula are being a little hard on your guests.

All you need is a few simple rules, displayed in plain view.

Feel free to copy mine!

NOTICE TO GUESTS:

l. Do not tamper with the temperature control switch. I have pre-set the furnace. When the outside temperature reaches forty below, it will automatically kick in (for five minutes). That's all you'll need. Airstreams hold the heat well. (hee-hee.) If you're cold, you will find the dog's blanket and a few spare tablecloths in the cupboard (the ones with last summer's ketchup and mustard stains). I thought you would enjoy the pop of colour.

2. The trailer washroom is locked. If you have to go, I have set up a porta potty outside under the big tree. Take one of the tablecloths if you need extra privacy.

3. Taps have been turned off. If you need to wash, there is a jug of water on kitchen counter. Use axe (underneath sink) to break the ice.

4. Absolutely no fornicating in the trailer. If I'm not "getting lucky," neither are my guests. I take it personally, sorry. And don't think I won't know if you try to sneak one in. Those surveillance cameras are really small these days, aren't they?

5. Fridge and stove have been removed. If you are thirsty and hungry, you'll have to wait until I get up. BTW, I like to sleep-in during the holidays. (Until 2 pm, at least).

ENJOY YOUR STAY!
Old 11-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #23
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
You forgot this one.

6. Life's a short runway - Make your stay the same.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
We were about to repair to the Airstream the other night when the power went down all over town, it being sufficiently self-contained to keep us warm and light for a few hours without shore power. The outage ended before we set up camp but it would have been nice to sit in the Airstream, lights blazing, while everyone else huddled around candles and flashlights. Charitable sort of Toad, aren't I?
Been there, did that just this week. Power went out here for 3 days. Moved all of the perishables we wanted to keep into the Argosy's frig. When I came home from work, I would repair to the trailer, cook some dinner, and sit in front of the catalytic heater. Nice to have lights and heat; too bad I had winterized the day before or I might have moved in fully.

It almost has me thinking that we need to have a 25FB in the driveway, if only to provide a full emergency shelter!

Tom
Old 11-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Just used ours last weekend for out of town relatives. Had 6 extra bodies. It was sleep on the floor or in the AS. Worked great. Also intend to use the AS in the event of power failure.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
What is it they say about fish and house guests after three days? Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #27
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I think you and Paula are being a little hard on your guests.
Not really. Long before we had an Airstream, Exthemius and I stayed in my mother-in-law's class c. I almost flooded the entire trailer because I didn't put the toilet lever back in the right position. We got back just in time to stop it from overflowing and slowly drive the Rv down to the dump.

Moral - I'd rather stay in the trailer and give up the master. At least I'd have a hidey hole when I started to feel crowded in the house. Trust me with my family you need the hidey hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
All you need is a few simple rules, displayed in plain view.

Feel free to copy mine!

NOTICE TO GUESTS:

l. Do not tamper with the temperature control switch. I have pre-set the furnace. When the outside temperature reaches forty below, it will automatically kick in (for five minutes). That's all you'll need. Airstreams hold the heat well. (hee-hee.) If you're cold, you will find the dog's blanket and a few spare tablecloths in the cupboard (the ones with last summer's ketchup and mustard stains). I thought you would enjoy the pop of colour.

2. The trailer washroom is locked. If you have to go, I have set up a porta potty outside under the big tree. Take one of the tablecloths if you need extra privacy.

3. Taps have been turned off. If you need to wash, there is a jug of water on kitchen counter. Use axe (underneath sink) to break the ice.

4. Absolutely no fornicating in the trailer. If I'm not "getting lucky," neither are my guests. I take it personally, sorry. And don't think I won't know if you try to sneak one in. Those surveillance cameras are really small these days, aren't they?

5. Fridge and stove have been removed. If you are thirsty and hungry, you'll have to wait until I get up. BTW, I like to sleep-in during the holidays. (Until 2 pm, at least).

ENJOY YOUR STAY!
absolutely love the rules!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
You forgot this one.

6. Life's a short runway - Make your stay the same.
And cleared for take-off!

No go arounds or aborted take-offs allowed!

After reading this thread, I've decided the only guest who will be allowed in my Airstream is my friend who flies the Boeing 737NG. He knows and respects a fine piece of equipment!

Tags
guest room