Old 10-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Anderson , South Carolina
Airstream Door Locks

Beware, it did happen. I had read on this forum that the door locks can accidently lock and to always carry an extra set of keys when exiting your airstream. YES, it can happen and did while camping this weekend at Devil's Fork State Park in South Carolina. A call to a nearby Locksmith and $75 dollars later (after a trip to an ATM because he only accepted CASH), we were back in our trailer. Lesson learned.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well known problem...that we have all experienced....or will.
Cure #1) SASE to Andy, of Inland RV for a free "kit".
Cure #2) Several spare keys stowed about. One in TV, one hidden on exterior of AS, etc.....

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Well known problem...that we have all experienced....or will.
Cure #1) SASE to Andy, of Inland RV for a free "kit".
Cure #2) Several spare keys stowed about. One in TV, one hidden on exterior of AS, etc.....
I installed the "kit", but it still happened to me. Spare keys are they way to go.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I got a new one for you. We're presently in our 9th day boondocking on some property of ours up north of Ft. Collins CO. We've been having some learning curve issues, bought some solar, etc.

Sunday morning, oh, around 04:00 (don't you just love those emergencies?) we woke up cold and dark. Bare flicker from the lights. Furnace wouldn't start. I knew I needed to get out of bed, get outiside, pull the Honda out of the truck, get the power cord from the front of the trailer, etc. It was about 43 deg out, and this is pretty severe for us. We normally live in the tropics, this Sept/Oct airstreaming in the Rockies is kinda new. We start getting cold at around 75-80 degrees. Rarely experience anything cooler than about 80.

When I was sufficiently wrapped up, with wifey asking me to please get a move on, I grabbed the inside door handle of the Airstream and......it free swivelled and nothing opened. No latch working.

Oh boy. Sitting in the cold, inside the trailer, with a flashlight in my teeth dismantling the door lock from the inside. Well, the edge of the screen door blocks access to two of the screws. So I had to use a small flat bladed screwdriver at an angle to turn the phillips head screws, until I could get the plate off to remove the lock to fix it, to get outside, to get the Honda, to power the trailer, to run the furnace and lights......

Man this Boondocking up at 7300 ft. this time of year has some surprises. don't it.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
My wife managed to do it a couple of weekends ago while I was not at the campsite. I suggested over the phone to open the storage compartment door and squeeze in under the queen bed. Luckily the front compartment wasn't locked and it was big enough for her to gain access. She took the two wire straps off.

We didn't know you could flip the inside latch/lever and lock the door without a key. She must have flipped it without realizing it. I've unsuccessfully tried to test the door to see how it can lock accidently without actively pulling the lock latch from inside the trailer before closing the door.

Kelvin
Old 10-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagues View Post
I installed the "kit", but it still happened to me. Spare keys are they way to go.
I have never heard that the kit failed, when properly installed.

Why did it fail in your case?

Andy
Old 10-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
we have an extra key system in place for the TV and for the trailer so if either are locked, we can enter.

Learned the hard way first that a dog if left in a tow vehicle with the keys inside just to step out for a minute...the dog comes to the window, steps up on arm-rest with paws...and depresses the LOCK button....AAA covered a guy to fix that problem for us....and it happened AGAIN just a month ago while we were leaving hungry mother state park in Marion, VA....dog left in TV along with keys while we dumped the tanks at dump station on way out.....ah but this time I had my system....so good...

If you own a dog....believe me...this CAN AND WILL HAPPEN.

I dont even lock the smaller AS lock...only the deadbolt...its just too annoying to lock and unlock that one...I think mine needs an adjustment as I often have to fiddle with it for it to lock/unlock with the key.

I am not sure if the newbies guide to airstreaming has this key backup wisdom in it...I do not recall it being in there...could be wrong...DEFINITELY should be.

Gringo, so you are saying we should keep some basic tools in the AS, and not just in the TV? Just imagining what I would do in that scenario....I think I maybe could crawl down under the front bed storage and open that storage door from the inside...unlikely...I am skinny, but the propane cover would be in the way...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I was taking the shroud off to fill a propane cylinder when I found a key on a wire just inside the shroud.

Come to find out, it's a door key. Wow, looks like the PO had that problem, too.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
we have an extra key system in place for the TV and for the trailer so if either are locked, we can enter.

Learned the hard way first that a dog if left in a tow vehicle with the keys inside just to step out for a minute...the dog comes to the window, steps up on arm-rest with paws...and depresses the LOCK button....AAA covered a guy to fix that problem for us....and it happened AGAIN just a month ago while we were leaving hungry mother state park in Marion, VA....dog left in TV along with keys while we dumped the tanks at dump station on way out.....ah but this time I had my system....so good...

If you own a dog....believe me...this CAN AND WILL HAPPEN.

I dont even lock the smaller AS lock...only the deadbolt...its just too annoying to lock and unlock that one...I think mine needs an adjustment as I often have to fiddle with it for it to lock/unlock with the key.

I am not sure if the newbies guide to airstreaming has this key backup wisdom in it...I do not recall it being in there...could be wrong...DEFINITELY should be.

Gringo, so you are saying we should keep some basic tools in the AS, and not just in the TV? Just imagining what I would do in that scenario....I think I maybe could crawl down under the front bed storage and open that storage door from the inside...unlikely...I am skinny, but the propane cover would be in the way...

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 25' Flying Cloud
PharmGeek, I remember reading your post a while back about how the dog locked you out of your TV. I'm just glad we didn't have something on the stove cooking. That could have even been more costly.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #11
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
This should definitely be in the "absolutely must do" section of the Newbie's Guide....hidden door keys have saved me at least 6 times over the past 3 years.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A spare Airstream key set hidden under your tow vehicle will be there when you are, and gone when you are gone. Usually.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote