Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Airstream Confidential - 'Your Precious Trailer'

I think the acquisition of my new A/S could be compared to new parenthood:

I admire it.
I talk about it.
I take pictures of it.
I lovingly inspect it.
I keep it clean.
I buy things for it.
I dress it up...and so on and so forth.

When someone got a little close to it with their car (it's parked in my driveway), I went tearing out and asked the driver what the 'ell he's doing - you're too close to my NEW trailer.

"I was even close to your PRECIOUS TRAILER," said he, before roaring off.

I haven't take the trailer anywhere since buying it earlier this year. Part of the reason is work-related, but part of it has a lot to do with "over-protectiveness." I have been looking at RV parks. One sounded really neat - right on the beach. But when I discovered there was a two-mile drive over gravel roads to get there, I shuddered at the thought of dinging my trailer. I have been reading about dings, dents, and gawd forbid....corrosion. It's the kind of stuff that keeps me awake at night.

Do I need help....or is this perfectly normal behaviour? If so, how did you get over it?
Old 06-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
You need to let go. Just get out there and enjoy it, the first cut hurts the worst....
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I have a bit of it in me too.

I pull mine over a couple miles of dirt road to our desert cabin. I go slow, 5-10 MPH. and have never damaged the trailer in any way other than getting a very light amount of dust on it. As far as your gravel road accessed campground, pick a time when you can go slow and avoid as much traffic as possible and you'll be fine. For the corrosion get some ACF 50 and treat the rivet lines and panel edges once in a while, or hit them with a spritz of WD40, wipe it off and go on your beach trip.

Otherwise, its insured. It can be repaired. I've had no serious damage to mine from quite a bit of towing, and there are others with much more mileage. You'll probably have to reason with yourself about having fun vs. a few minor scrapes and dents. Perhaps the feeling of new will relax a bit with time and you can enjoy it more. Certainly the memories from use and the places you take it will exceed the memories of looking at a beautiful object. I hope you get out and enjoy your trailer.

The biggest impact to you will be the trailer's depreciation. Far more significant from age than minor dings or corrosion.

If not, maybe consider buying something used with a few scuffs and scrapes built in. I've had some desert off road toys I've bought in pretty rugged cosmetic shape and had lot of fun as a result. No worries, lots of fun.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

You really should consider lightening up and enjoying your Airstream for its intended use. We are also somewhat anal about our dear Lucy. We have had her for 5 years, and have spent almost 900 nights in her. We have towed her over 70,000 miles. We have enjoyed her immensely.

I am writing this from a campground in rural Idaho where we have been camped for the past 4 nights. Yes, Lucy got dirty on the dirt road to get into the campsite, but that's the price you pay for having fun camping. Lucy also has some rock dings on her snout, but that is also part of the price you pay.

You can avoid the dirt and dings by leaving her home, but then you don't have any fun with her. If you just want to collect and admire something, try stamps or coins. They are much easier to store and deal with.

Here's a picture of Lucy taken several hours ago at her campsite in Idaho. Doesn't she look content?

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4341.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	536.7 KB
ID:	131551  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I guess I'm lucky my trailer is older than I am, and spent many summers making the long haul to Alaska before I brought it home I've never had to worry about adding dings, because it has plenty already, I'd probably never notice it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Here's a picture of Lucy taken several hours ago at her campsite in Idaho. Doesn't she look content?
Yes, but don't you think you're a little close to that tree?
Old 06-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
bTW, the following is just my opinion! Keeping your Airstream at home might be compared to keeping a dog in a kennel crate. Both might survive, but they need to thrive, discover their innate beings. For the dog, this means room to run, maybe dig, chase and explore, shade to relax under and sun to bathe in, people to love. For an Airstream, this means open roads, hills and valleys, sea shores and campgrounds, campfire smoke and dusty lanes, and an owner/family to share these wonders with. Dings shmings...let her find her inner self! And enjoy every minute of your time camping with her. Be quick...you might just catch the corner of her hidden smile! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #8

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Get on the road and use her often. Airstreams were built for camping and an occasional ding or two won't hurt her. Also depending on your weather she could get hailed on in your driveway (mine did) and I'm a very particular person,wanting most things "perfect" but we take our Bambi out as much as possible. Also they depreciate just as fast if you use them or not. Get out and have fun!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Get on the road and use her often. Airstreams were built for camping and an occasional ding or two won't hurt her. Also depending on your weather she could get hailed on in your driveway (mine did) and I'm a very particular person,wanting most things "perfect" but we take our Bambi out as much as possible. Also they depreciate just as fast if you use them or not. Get out and have fun!
Have to agree; get out and use your baby. We dinged ours (a little) first trip and are now quite proud of her "scar". Airstreams were made to travel, get out there and travel!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
....let her find her inner self!
Hey! I like that. A holistic Airstream.

Watch for us going down the road trailing incense in our wake - love beads danglin' off the bumper and a sign in the window that reads "I Have to Find Myself."

Quote:
You need to let go. Just get out there and enjoy it
Enroute to christen the loo and holding tank now!
(I wanted to keep it all clean and pretty-like, but am taking your advice!)

Thanks all, for caring and sharing. This forum is a great place!
Old 06-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Everybody seems to be in agreement. Just get out and use it. Gravel roads do get my attention also. If you're really concerned, you could purchase a gravel guard to put on the back of your TV. Good luck and happy trails.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #12

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Which AS looks happier! Lifes too short to spend it in the driveway! Happy trails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2864290745.png
Views:	218
Size:	980.9 KB
ID:	131597   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1685713984.png
Views:	193
Size:	934.5 KB
ID:	131598  

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
-- GRANT M. BRIGHT

We bought ours with a small dent on the curbside ... probably from an encounter with a picnic table, and lots of tiny stone dings on the front from gravel roads. No more worries. Roll on.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Sit on nice furniture. Eat on the china. Carpe Diem. Today is "someday."
It will be easier after your first trip!
Happy Trails!
Old 06-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
ahhhh.....you're a great bunch of people. I was just thinking that some of my over-protectiveness might have migrated from the dealership (which carries many RV brands beside the A/S).

When I asked them why they never took their Airstreams to the RV shows, I got a big song and dance about how people come up to them and start whollopping the sides, mothers crash their strollers into them, and they don't like the people to walk through them because they think it "taints" the inner sanctity of the unit and the typical Airstream customer won't want to buy it. I also noticed that the only units locked on their lot during opening hours were the Airstreams - and they also display them in the most visible location like they are prized, spoiled children!

Anyway, perhaps that's part of the reason behind my madness, but I'm doing better now.

She does look a little cold and frigid here, doesn't she? (Shot a couple of weeks after purchase in February). The next picture will be beside a lake, or in the woods, or at a nice RV park or ??????? Promise!

Thanks again, A/S friends!

Old 06-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
-- GRANT M. BRIGHT

We bought ours with a small dent on the curbside ... probably from an encounter with a picnic table, and lots of tiny stone dings on the front from gravel roads. No more worries. Roll on.
AirsDream, as are airplanes -
airplanes in hangars are safe,
but that's not what airplanes are for.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #17
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I think the acquisition of my new A/S could be compared to new parenthood:

I admire it.
I talk about it.
I take pictures of it.
I lovingly inspect it.
I keep it clean.
I buy things for it.
I dress it up...and so on and so forth.

When someone got a little close to it with their car (it's parked in my driveway), I went tearing out and asked the driver what the 'ell he's doing - you're too close to my NEW trailer.

"I was even close to your PRECIOUS TRAILER," said he, before roaring off.
Beg to differ... My trailer never got me up every 2 hours, said embarrassing things at parties, threw up in the back seat, accidentally smeared purple jello on the rug, etc. And... I have to say that while I love my kid and would walk through a parking lot full off SOB salesmen for him, the Airstream is waaaaaay cheaper than a kid. Heck 3 brand Classics is way cheaper.

Hmm......

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
You're not planning an Alaska trip, are you?
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Beg to differ... My trailer never got me up every 2 hours, said embarrassing things at parties, threw up in the back seat, accidentally smeared purple jello on the rug, etc. And... I have to say that while I love my kid and would walk through a parking lot full off SOB salesmen for him, the Airstream is waaaaaay cheaper than a kid. Heck 3 brand Classics is way cheaper.

Hmm......
Well, as they say, the best thing about motherhood is......
getting that way.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
You're not planning an Alaska trip, are you?
Matter of fact I am. Anchorage has some great aviation-related attractions!

errrrrr....why do you ask?