Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Airstream Build......What happens!

Wondering, when a build is scheduled & starts is the shell attached to the chassis before hand ready to be moved to the line or is that when the shell is built? I've watched the Airstream YouTube video & it seems like the shells are pre built rather built to order. My AS is in the process now, taking 4 days (presuming Friday is the last day of the work week) coming off the the line Monday, seem like a lot to do in 4 days.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This is where a visit to the factory and taking the tour would be helpful. Every Airstream is custom ordered and hand built. Your shell will be custom built to match your frame according to the order placed by you and your dealer. It all starts with your build sheet and progresses to a finished trailer as it rolls off the line. It is certainly a lot of very skilled hand custom work from start to finish.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
As a lowly "potential owner", I'm just curious why AS hasn't done something to address the many floor rot complaints that I see on this forum. They could use marine grade plywood, they could use honeycomb aluminum or some sort of protective coating. But, it doesn't appear that they have done much of anything. Not bashing, just curious since this is a substantial investment.

Chief, I only say that in response to your post above about the high quality custom hand building of the units. If that's the case, why so many leaks??
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by northmeck025 View Post
As a lowly "potential owner", I'm just curious why AS hasn't done something to address the many floor rot complaints that I see on this forum. They could use marine grade plywood, they could use honeycomb aluminum or some sort of protective coating. But, it doesn't appear that they have done much of anything. Not bashing, just curious since this is a substantial investment.

Chief, I only say that in response to your post above about the high quality custom hand building of the units. If that's the case, why so many leaks??
It's kinda like why nuts and bolts fall off a new Harley; it's cheaper to have an owner put Locktite on every nut and bolt than paying a factory worker to do it.

I have used Coosa board to replace my subfloor as it's waterproof, mold/mildew proof and 45% lighter than the plywood equivalent......but it's expensive. At over $250.00 a sheet compared to say $30 or less for OSB board or $150 or less for marine plywood it cuts into the profit margin. It also would take away future sales as an owner wouldn't trade his or her Stream in if the floor was good.

Unfortunately we have become a society of bling; it doesn't matter how well its built because I'm going to trade it in for a new one in a couple of years.

If I were to order a trailer from Airstream I would deliver the Coosa to the factory for it myself, but that's just me. I'm the guy that has spent a lot of money and thousands of hours renovating a 1983 310 turbo diesel that I can count on one hand how many times I've slept in it.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Certainly if they were made entirely from titanium they would last longer making any leaks all but inconsequential.

Nothing can ever be built too well.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
There is ALWAYS a balance between quality and economy, and frankly, it is my opinion that Airstreams are already overpriced.

These trailers do not lend themselves to component assembly that is all the rage these days and are therefore very labor intensive to build.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:08 PM   #7
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I watched a Tab being built, just amazing, two hours, not an airstream and much smaller, the American assembly line alive and well in the US. The trays of parts, nuts, bolts and screws, every little detail.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote